I'm having trouble figuring out whether to self drive or take an organized tour. \it's my husband and I traveling in mid-November. My thought is to;
Day 1 - fly into Alice Springs, arrive around lunch time, spend the afternoon wandering around, do the Kangaroo sanctuary at sunset.
Day 2 - take a leisurely drive to Kings Canyon. (which route to take??) wander around
Day 3 - walk the rim of Kings Canyon, drive to Uluru. Do the Sounds of Silence Dinner
Day 4 - sunrise at Uluru, tour of the rock and cultural centre Fly to Cairns
Our travel agent is suggesting - "You would have to start in Ayers Rock and finish in Alice Springs as the coach service between each area works best this way. You would be on a larger bus for the airport transfer in Ayers Rock because the coach picks up everyone coming off each flight but then the tours will be smaller and offer superior touring experiences. The tours in Ayers Rock would be the same as what I mentioned below and then we would have you do the group tour in the morning to Kings Canyon before heading on to Alice Springs. These two could have larger numbers but it totally depends on the number of people booked for that day. The coach would have you arriving into Alice Springs at about 7:30pm and then the flight to Cairns wouldn’t be until around 6pm the following day so you will have time to do some touring around time before departing"
I am wondering if driving around in the coach and having to be on their schedule is worth it. I don't think I would be able to to get to the Kangaroo Sanctuary either...
Your thoughts? How difficult is the drive?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 RICOH PRINTER 1800:681:7208 installation CONTACT RICOH Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Milford Sound (Fly! Cruise! Fly!) - Travel Report
- 3 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 4 New Zealand South Island 15 Nights Itinerary
- 5 Australia for two weeks.
- 6 Palau Travel Report
- 7 Queenstown vs Christchurch
- 8 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 1 - Travel Report
- 9 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 10 Antarctica Penguin Disaster
- 11 7 months in Australia and New Zealand
- 12 Visa
- 13 Guam Travel Report
- 14 New Zealand Car Hire
- 15 Tasmania itinerary
- 16 McLaren Vale in South Australia as base for 4 days?
- 17 Research on Australian Tourism
- 18 Australia and NZ visit!
- 19 12 Days in S.I. NZ
- 20 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 21 Cheap Flights to Bangkok from Gold Coast
- 22 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 23 Best Fiji Resort for Shore Snorkeling
- 24 Recommended guidebooks
- 25 Need Some suggestions on South Island