I am writing this to get your opinions and any experiences you have had similar to mine. Please refrain from telling me to see a Shrink..............(see the OP).
I am 72 years old and just finished a 5 1/2 month trip around the world. I left Houston the first of February and returned July 14. I wont list all the places I stopped, but roughly, Tahiti, New Zealand, Fiji, Australia, China, Viet Nam, Singapore, New Delhi, Istanbul, up through the Balkans, Italy, Switzerland, France, Portugal, Spain, and home. I was traveling alone and with only a general plan of where I was going. In other words my plan provided I go to Australia, but I made the decision where in Australia when I arrived in Sydney.
Traveling by Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and an occasional horse), I saw all of the sights I had ever wanted to see. The total bill came to approximately $23,000. I traveled with one backpack weighing under 20 lbs. One does have to do a lot of laundry!
The issue is simply this: Since I have been back, with the exception of a few friends who knew, I have told no one of the trip. I also change the subject as soon as possible when asked about it (although being asked is getting rarer and rarer). I also have no desire to even leave my house during the day. Part of that is the 110 degree temperature we have had in Texas for the past couple of months, but I find that all I do is stare at the TV.
Its not that I didn't enjoy it - it was the most fantastic thing I have ever done. I wrote it all down as I was doing it and wound up with about 40 chapters of it. I cant even bring myself to go back and read the writeups.
I read other postings on this site about folks being "proud" of going RTW, but with me Its almost like I am ashamed that I did it. I have never been depressed in my life, and I dont know that I am now, but something is sure as hell wrong.
I am simply asking you if any of you have felt this way after any trip you have taken. I have traveled all my life, and while I have never been on one longer than 2 weeks, I have never reacted this way.
Thanks for listening and any help or comments would be appreciated
Round The World -- Depression?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 The Great Australian Adventure
- 2 Very beginning of very rough itinerary
- 3 Shoe Recommendations for NZ??
- 4 First time in NZ and only have a week
- 5 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 6 Songdoc's Tasmanian Honeymoon
- 7 NZ SI: Picton to Christchurch anywhere worth staying a night?
- 8 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 9 Must See/Dos in New Zealand
- 10 21 day New Zealand Itinerary with Milford Track
- 11 Songdoc - Skippers Canyon
- 12 7 day south island itinerary help, start/end in Queenstown
- 13 Moorea - Villas/House/Condo's
- 14 Great Ocean Road Itinerary
- 15 5 week itinerary help
- 16 Beachmere Australias most Unfriendly Town
- 17 Help with Australia/ New Zealand plan!
- 18 New Zealand Trip - Solicit suggestions
- 19 Margaret River, One Bite at a Time
- 20 New Zealand (South Island) 10 Day Itinerary - Need Advice Please
- 21 Ideas for holidays in Australia in January/February
- 22 This special community - Fodorville
- 23 New Zealand -help with itinerary
- 24 Traveling to Hawaii
- 25 Great food/local favorites