I am writing this to get your opinions and any experiences you have had similar to mine. Please refrain from telling me to see a Shrink..............(see the OP).
I am 72 years old and just finished a 5 1/2 month trip around the world. I left Houston the first of February and returned July 14. I wont list all the places I stopped, but roughly, Tahiti, New Zealand, Fiji, Australia, China, Viet Nam, Singapore, New Delhi, Istanbul, up through the Balkans, Italy, Switzerland, France, Portugal, Spain, and home. I was traveling alone and with only a general plan of where I was going. In other words my plan provided I go to Australia, but I made the decision where in Australia when I arrived in Sydney.
Traveling by Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and an occasional horse), I saw all of the sights I had ever wanted to see. The total bill came to approximately $23,000. I traveled with one backpack weighing under 20 lbs. One does have to do a lot of laundry!
The issue is simply this: Since I have been back, with the exception of a few friends who knew, I have told no one of the trip. I also change the subject as soon as possible when asked about it (although being asked is getting rarer and rarer). I also have no desire to even leave my house during the day. Part of that is the 110 degree temperature we have had in Texas for the past couple of months, but I find that all I do is stare at the TV.
Its not that I didn't enjoy it - it was the most fantastic thing I have ever done. I wrote it all down as I was doing it and wound up with about 40 chapters of it. I cant even bring myself to go back and read the writeups.
I read other postings on this site about folks being "proud" of going RTW, but with me Its almost like I am ashamed that I did it. I have never been depressed in my life, and I dont know that I am now, but something is sure as hell wrong.
I am simply asking you if any of you have felt this way after any trip you have taken. I have traveled all my life, and while I have never been on one longer than 2 weeks, I have never reacted this way.
Thanks for listening and any help or comments would be appreciated
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand Itinerary - Looking for suggestions on 12-13 days on the Ground
- 2 Picton Drive Through
- 3 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 4 Six Weeks Down Under
- 5 Parking near Darling Harbour
- 6 North and South Island of NZ
- 7 The southern lights
- 8 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 9 Mel's NZ Photos
- 10 Queenstown-is it worth it?
- 11 August Honeymoon Help?
- 12 How to split up Australia?
- 13 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 14 Self Drive Tour Itinerary - Safety, Convenience, Activities, Itinerary HELP
- 15 Brisbane to Sydney
- 16 Wellington Airport to hotel
- 17 East Coast Australia
- 18 Clearing Kaikoura to Picton road
- 19 Romantic 10 nights Fiji - Oct 2017
- 20 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 21 Marlborough Sounds
- 22 Blue mountain in July
- 23 More pilot whales to strand at NZ's Farewell Spit
- 24 Tonga January Weather
- 25 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015