I am writing this to get your opinions and any experiences you have had similar to mine. Please refrain from telling me to see a Shrink..............(see the OP).
I am 72 years old and just finished a 5 1/2 month trip around the world. I left Houston the first of February and returned July 14. I wont list all the places I stopped, but roughly, Tahiti, New Zealand, Fiji, Australia, China, Viet Nam, Singapore, New Delhi, Istanbul, up through the Balkans, Italy, Switzerland, France, Portugal, Spain, and home. I was traveling alone and with only a general plan of where I was going. In other words my plan provided I go to Australia, but I made the decision where in Australia when I arrived in Sydney.
Traveling by Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and an occasional horse), I saw all of the sights I had ever wanted to see. The total bill came to approximately $23,000. I traveled with one backpack weighing under 20 lbs. One does have to do a lot of laundry!
The issue is simply this: Since I have been back, with the exception of a few friends who knew, I have told no one of the trip. I also change the subject as soon as possible when asked about it (although being asked is getting rarer and rarer). I also have no desire to even leave my house during the day. Part of that is the 110 degree temperature we have had in Texas for the past couple of months, but I find that all I do is stare at the TV.
Its not that I didn't enjoy it - it was the most fantastic thing I have ever done. I wrote it all down as I was doing it and wound up with about 40 chapters of it. I cant even bring myself to go back and read the writeups.
I read other postings on this site about folks being "proud" of going RTW, but with me Its almost like I am ashamed that I did it. I have never been depressed in my life, and I dont know that I am now, but something is sure as hell wrong.
I am simply asking you if any of you have felt this way after any trip you have taken. I have traveled all my life, and while I have never been on one longer than 2 weeks, I have never reacted this way.
Thanks for listening and any help or comments would be appreciated
Round The World -- Depression?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 NZ: A Series of Bitter Disappointments -- a Songdoc Trip Report
- 2 Sydney MyMulti Pass
- 3 Which Fiji or Cook Island ?
- 4 Dare I Plan? Melbourne - Sydney - Auckland
- 5 2 week trip in AU: 5 nights in Sydney and 5 nights in Cairns area?
- 6 Should we change our plans ???
- 7 Melbourne Tram riders and visitors
- 8 Hobart
- 9 Leaving on a jet plane....
- 10 One day in Fiji
- 11 Avoid Europcar car rental
- 12 Help with South Island Itinerary Please
- 13 Melbourne Itinery - GOR/Mornington/Philips Island
- 14 Australia and New Zealand 2 month itinerary
- 15 The Rainbow Coast, Western Australia photos
- 16 Packages
- 17 Trip itinerary-Sydney Melbourne Tasmania
- 18 Please critique my plan for 2 weeks in Australia (first trip)
- 19 Victoria to Uluru - Trip Report
- 20 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 21 Tour/Travel Company-Goway
- 22 Paging Cathies
- 23 Kangaroo island
- 24 Itinerary 20 days
- 25 Looking for feedback on four week itinerary