Spent the last week of Dec in Rarotonga. We really enjoyed it. Raro is the largest of the Cooks, however, it is still small. We found it to be quiet with very friendly and helpful locales. We always tried new restaurants and never had a bad meal. We stayed at Moana Sands and really loved it. The water was warm and calm because of the lagoon. Lots and lots of foliage. I kept saying I felt like I was on the island from Lost. We rented a small car but there is a reliable bus system that circles the island. Only thing to realize is that that the diving/snorkeling is not outstanding. We snorkled every day in front of our hotel. The reef was not in good shape, but we still saw fish. Seemed to be better the further out you went. I suspect some of the other Cook Islands may be better in this regard. Would go there again.
Rarotonga Cook Islands Trip
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 NZ Proposed Trip Itinerary (Constructive Suggestions Appreciated!)
- 2 When to travel to New Zealand?
- 3 Cairns - boat from Lizard Island
- 4 Wash your Boots! A New Zealand Trip Report
- 5 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 6 Please help with New Zealand Itinerary - 12 days
- 7 Adelaide/Kangaroo Island or AliceSprings/Uluru?
- 8 Australia Trip Guidance Needed - Esp GBR
- 9 Best deal on debit/credit/cash cards
- 10 Small group multi-day hiking operators around Queenstown NZ?
- 11 Question about the "Build Up"
- 12 Buy snorkeling fins in Sydney
- 13 Tentative South Island NZ itinerary--what do you think?
- 14 3-1/2 days in Auckland .... Your personal recommendations, please.
- 15 Tipping
- 16 2 weeks in AUS and destination similar to Port Douglas?
- 17 Clueless Yank ISO Alice guidance
- 18 Songdoc's Photos of Beautiful Tasmania
- 19 auckland connection
- 20 Five weeks in ANZ
- 21 Drive from Alice Springs to Kings Canyon
- 22 Pictures and HD Videos from one week in Palau
- 23 A Good Day Trips Company in New Zealand
- 24 Please critique my plan for 2 weeks in Australia (first trip)
- 25 New Zealand Travel Agencies