My husband and myself have flights booked for 28 December this year to arrive Adelaide 29th December. I would like to put my iteneray to you all and appreciate feedback and advice. Thank you in advance.
29 Dec we are staying with relatives in Adelaide. Hoping to pick up a car when we arrive at Adelaide Airport.
We are hoping to drive from Adelaide to Melbourne on 4th - 7th January, stopping for 1 night at each of Robe, Mount Gambier, Port Fairy & Princetown.
Staying in Melbourne 8th - 11th jan before driving on to Sydney, stopping at Lakes Entrance, Merimbula, Batemans Bay and Woolongong.
Staying in Sydney 15th - 18th jan then flying on to Brisbane, hiring a car for 2 days, as we really want to visit Australia Zoo.
Flying to Mackay 21st jan to visit with relatives, who are then going to drive with us to Airllie Beach where we will board a ferry to Hamilton Island, staying there 24th - 29th Jan before flying back to Adelaide until 4th Feb then flying back to the uk.
My two main concerns are 1) Car hire. I have trawled the net, read copious reviews and am still daunted about which hire company to use, after reading advice re insurance cover etc and toll road tags.
2) I have not booked the internal flights yet. My uncle in Mackay has suggested Flight Centre.
Having justs read some other blogs a post suggested to someone else to skip the drive from Melbourne to Sydney, which I may take on board. I am thinking about my husband, who will be doing all the driving, plus the many blogs I have read are tempting me to just drive Adelaide to Melbourne and fly the rest, after all he is supposed to be on holiday too.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, sorry it is so long and I look forward to any advice from you.
Donna & Ricky
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 2 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 3 Free Camping
- 4 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 5 Kaikoura roads update
- 6 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 7 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 8 Clever, mischievous keas
- 9 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 10 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 11 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 12 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 13 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 14 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 15 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 16 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 17 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 18 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas
- 19 14 Day RV from Christchurch
- 20 Whales spotted off Kaikoura first time since quake
- 21 Translation of documents
- 22 SH1 to Kaikoura update
- 23 10 days NZ-crusie or land??
- 24 Cooking classes near Melbourne
- 25 Sunshine coast or gold coast in February