My family (2 adults, 2 boys ages 12 and 8) will be in the Melbourne area for about a week in August as part of our AU adventure. The big question is whether or not to go see the penguins on Phillip Island. I have seen them before, and I enjoyed the experience very much, but my husband and boys have never had the pleasure. The boys *love* animals...but I'm concerned that it might be too long a haul to make it worthwhile in miserable weather.
One thing that might make it seem like less of a schlep would be to spend the whole day in that area. Perhaps we can do some things on the Mornington Peninsula and in the general Phillip Island area (The Nobbies, Koala Conservation Centre, Ashcombe Maze, etc.) during the day and then head to the penguins in the evening. Have any of you experienced these things during winter? (If it were summer, I wouldn't hesitate.) Do the penguins come in earlier in the wintertime? I wonder.
We will have a rental car, so getting there and back isn't an issue. (When I saw the penguins in the past, I did it with a tour bus.) Are we better off just skipping the whole thing and finding some indoor activities in Melbourne instead? I'm very much torn about the whole thing, so any advice/opinions/suggestions you can offer would be most welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 NZ South Island Itinerary Feedback?
- 2 Help with NZ Travel
- 3 Christmas Day in Auckland
- 4 Christmas Day in Sydney
- 5 hotels Sydney Jan 10-15, 2017
- 6 Tara Elizabeth Buchanan - Best places to visit in Sydney
- 7 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 8 Bora Bora- April or/vs May+Agencies/Travel/Activites/Places to stay
- 9 NZ get off cruise and drive to QT/Fjorland?
- 10 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 11 Kaikoura roads update
- 12 Free Camping
- 13 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 14 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 15 Clever, mischievous keas
- 16 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 17 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 18 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 19 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 20 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 21 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 22 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 23 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 24 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 25 North or South after Perth in rental car?