My family (2 adults, 2 boys ages 12 and 8) will be in the Melbourne area for about a week in August as part of our AU adventure. The big question is whether or not to go see the penguins on Phillip Island. I have seen them before, and I enjoyed the experience very much, but my husband and boys have never had the pleasure. The boys *love* animals...but I'm concerned that it might be too long a haul to make it worthwhile in miserable weather.
One thing that might make it seem like less of a schlep would be to spend the whole day in that area. Perhaps we can do some things on the Mornington Peninsula and in the general Phillip Island area (The Nobbies, Koala Conservation Centre, Ashcombe Maze, etc.) during the day and then head to the penguins in the evening. Have any of you experienced these things during winter? (If it were summer, I wouldn't hesitate.) Do the penguins come in earlier in the wintertime? I wonder.
We will have a rental car, so getting there and back isn't an issue. (When I saw the penguins in the past, I did it with a tour bus.) Are we better off just skipping the whole thing and finding some indoor activities in Melbourne instead? I'm very much torn about the whole thing, so any advice/opinions/suggestions you can offer would be most welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 14 day South NZ Trip
- 2 Potts point OR CBD in Sydney
- 3 2 Nights in Blue moutain End June
- 4 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 5 Tour Companies Australia and New Zealand
- 6 4 hour transit in Sydney
- 7 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 8 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 9 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 10 6 days Queenstown (NZ) itineary suggestion????
- 11 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 12 One-day hike in Milford area
- 13 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 14 Best national park around Sydney
- 15 1 night stay around GOR
- 16 7 days in New Zealand
- 17 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 18 NZ repeat visitors
- 19 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 20 South Island Suggestions
- 21 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 22 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 23 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 24 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 25 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef