My family (2 adults, 2 boys ages 12 and 8) will be in the Melbourne area for about a week in August as part of our AU adventure. The big question is whether or not to go see the penguins on Phillip Island. I have seen them before, and I enjoyed the experience very much, but my husband and boys have never had the pleasure. The boys *love* animals...but I'm concerned that it might be too long a haul to make it worthwhile in miserable weather.
One thing that might make it seem like less of a schlep would be to spend the whole day in that area. Perhaps we can do some things on the Mornington Peninsula and in the general Phillip Island area (The Nobbies, Koala Conservation Centre, Ashcombe Maze, etc.) during the day and then head to the penguins in the evening. Have any of you experienced these things during winter? (If it were summer, I wouldn't hesitate.) Do the penguins come in earlier in the wintertime? I wonder.
We will have a rental car, so getting there and back isn't an issue. (When I saw the penguins in the past, I did it with a tour bus.) Are we better off just skipping the whole thing and finding some indoor activities in Melbourne instead? I'm very much torn about the whole thing, so any advice/opinions/suggestions you can offer would be most welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Great Barrier Reef - Non Swimmers
- 2 5 days in South Island
- 3 South Australia Help with Itinerary
- 4 Brisbane to Sydney
- 5 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 6 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 7 New Zealand Itinerary
- 8 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 9 NZ visa denials
- 10 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 11 Help on Itinerary
- 12 Sydney Trip
- 13 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 14 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 15 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 16 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 17 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 18 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 19 Extra 2 nights = help
- 20 February Australia Visit
- 21 Best wildlife near sydney
- 22 Where to go in Australia
- 23 Bruny Island
- 24 Western Australia
- 25 South Island - West Coast Itinerary