My family (2 adults, 2 boys ages 12 and 8) will be in the Melbourne area for about a week in August as part of our AU adventure. The big question is whether or not to go see the penguins on Phillip Island. I have seen them before, and I enjoyed the experience very much, but my husband and boys have never had the pleasure. The boys *love* animals...but I'm concerned that it might be too long a haul to make it worthwhile in miserable weather.
One thing that might make it seem like less of a schlep would be to spend the whole day in that area. Perhaps we can do some things on the Mornington Peninsula and in the general Phillip Island area (The Nobbies, Koala Conservation Centre, Ashcombe Maze, etc.) during the day and then head to the penguins in the evening. Have any of you experienced these things during winter? (If it were summer, I wouldn't hesitate.) Do the penguins come in earlier in the wintertime? I wonder.
We will have a rental car, so getting there and back isn't an issue. (When I saw the penguins in the past, I did it with a tour bus.) Are we better off just skipping the whole thing and finding some indoor activities in Melbourne instead? I'm very much torn about the whole thing, so any advice/opinions/suggestions you can offer would be most welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 numerous merchandise till you
- 2 15 Steps To Creating An Effective Business Facebook Page
- 3 Driving direction on the Great Ocean Road
- 4 The Future of email advertising – 2017 version
- 5 First Time - Assistance with NZ- South
- 6 CFP: how much to bring, ATMs?
- 7 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 8 Six Weeks Down Under
- 9 Flood Emergency Services
- 10 7 days in New Zealand
- 11 Hamilton Island
- 12 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 13 Mt Buller for 1 night in July
- 14 16 Days on the South Island
- 15 Need help in Auckland
- 16 Restaurant recommendations for Tahiti
- 17 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 18 Itinerary for full day bus trip outside of Auckland
- 19 Uber in Sydney
- 20 Sydney Airport for International Flight
- 21 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 22 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 23 Darwin Accomodations
- 24 Airport Fees for Europcar Rental Cars
- 25 New Zealand Itinerary - Looking for suggestions on 12-13 days on the Ground