We just returned from a great two and a half week trip 'Down Under.' We stayed in Melbourne, Ayers Rock, up on the Great Barrier Reef and finally, Sydney. We really enjoyed the people and the great spirit of Australia; however no one told us how expensive eating out in restaurants would be!! It even made the evening news while we were there. Everything is ala carte and easily twice what we normally pay for food eating out in the U.S. For example: $24.00 for a hamburger-not a cheeseburger just a plain ol' hamburger with nothing else. Sea food or a steak was $45-$65 a piece-again ala carte- if you wanted a salad that was another $15 (average) plus then something to drink. We figured that if we ate a normal breakfast, sandwich lunch and then a nice dinner, food costs would've run easily $250-$300 a day!! People ask if we bought souveneirs-no, we spent our money on food! We stayed in nice places and bought a box of cereal ($7-$10 dollars and milk for our breakfasts to keep costs down. Our travel agent was surprised when we told her this- she had been in Australia a few years back and said at that time she and her friends feasted on the inexpensive seafood and such-Has that new tax raised everything? What is to blame for these off the charts prices?
Outrageous food prices in Australia!
View all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 17 days in NZ - NI and SI - Would like feedback on finalizing itinerary
- 2 Travelling to Auckland - Who to use for car rental?
- 3 Cricket, diving and NZ - how long to fit it all in?
- 4 Alices Springs and uluru tour
- 5 Car Rental in Broome to Drop off in Perth
- 6 Where to stay in Christchurch?
- 7 Need Packing Advice for Sydney and New Zealand in January
- 8 14 days in NZ in February
- 9 Emirates and Jetstar
- 10 Sightseeing & transport in Sydney
- 11 Toucan2 in Sydney December 31--mini GTG anyone?
- 12 16 days all over New Zealand
- 13 Songdoc's "Mini" NZ Trip Report: Auckland, Wellington & Abel Tasman
- 14 Sydney/GBR/Cairns
- 15 Interesting women's clothes shops in Sydney?
- 16 Heading to Australia!
- 17 New Zealand Accommodation Recommendations Needed
- 18 South Island Itinerary
- 19 Franz Josef Glacier in December - Weather and Packing
- 20 A quick jaunt to WASHINGTON DC, CHICAGO, MOOREA FRENCH POLYNESIA - Oct 2013
- 21 Trip Report: Milford and Routeburn Tracks Nov 2010
- 22 Having trouble with 17 day itinerary in Australia especially Melbourne area
- 23 Information on Transit Visa in Australia
- 24 NZ Winter 2013 (July) Trip Report - 20 days SI & NI
- 25 victoria in march