We just returned from a great two and a half week trip 'Down Under.' We stayed in Melbourne, Ayers Rock, up on the Great Barrier Reef and finally, Sydney. We really enjoyed the people and the great spirit of Australia; however no one told us how expensive eating out in restaurants would be!! It even made the evening news while we were there. Everything is ala carte and easily twice what we normally pay for food eating out in the U.S. For example: $24.00 for a hamburger-not a cheeseburger just a plain ol' hamburger with nothing else. Sea food or a steak was $45-$65 a piece-again ala carte- if you wanted a salad that was another $15 (average) plus then something to drink. We figured that if we ate a normal breakfast, sandwich lunch and then a nice dinner, food costs would've run easily $250-$300 a day!! People ask if we bought souveneirs-no, we spent our money on food! We stayed in nice places and bought a box of cereal ($7-$10 dollars and milk for our breakfasts to keep costs down. Our travel agent was surprised when we told her this- she had been in Australia a few years back and said at that time she and her friends feasted on the inexpensive seafood and such-Has that new tax raised everything? What is to blame for these off the charts prices?
Outrageous food prices in Australia!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Good places to stay for 2015 AFC Asian Cup
- 2 South Island - 8 days in February
- 3 Incredible hotel
- 4 Sydney - Melbourne 2 night / 3 day Road Trip
- 5 australia new zealand trip advice
- 6 New Zealand trip -itinerary help please
- 7 Milford Sound Cruise
- 8 14 day South Island Self drive
- 9 Australian Aborigines
- 10 Do Great Ocean Road or head to New Zealand?
- 11 Cruise New Zealand
- 12 Help with Australia/ New Zealand plan!
- 13 Need Packing Advice for Sydney and New Zealand in January
- 14 New Zealand Accommodations
- 15 16 days all over New Zealand
- 16 New Zealand Accommodation Recommendations Needed
- 17 Optimum time to visit both New Zealand and Australia
- 18 Land Portion of our Cruise Tour of Australia and New Zealand
- 19 Songdoc's 5th Trip to Gorgeous New Zealand: A Trip Report
- 20 New Zealand itinerary help
- 21 New Zealand with Hannabelle
- 22 Campervan/Motorhomes vs Car hire in New Zealand
- 23 Packing list for New Zealand, February 2013
- 24 Family Trip to New Zealand: Would love itinerary thoughts!
- 25 New Zealand: Cruise vs. Land