We are fortunate in being able to add a NZ extension to our Oz trip. We plan on spending about 9 days in the South Island, spending a couple days at Franz and Fox, 3 days or so at QT, a day at Milford Sound, and a day at Aoraki/Mt Cook.
Our concern is that we are not skiiers, and many of the other activities in QT seemed to be geared toward warmer weather. Is 3 days in QT in winter for non-skiiers advisable? Are there any "must do" winter sites or activities.
By the same token, it appears that winter driving into Milford Sound may be questionable. Is it correct to assume MS should be viewed in winter time? Should we simply bus it there?
We are planning to rent a car, and have significant winter driving experience here in the New England area, but it seems like NZ winters are a bit different with avalanche threats and the like.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Aussie fodorites - can u help?
- 2 Girls long weekend to Sydney/Katoomba
- 3 Rental Cars Locations Auckalnd
- 4 Driving quesitons for New Zealand in the Winter
- 5 Knowing the right shipping cargo container.
- 6 Travel to New Zealand
- 7 North Island - 5 days - Wellington - Auckland
- 8 Tour operators
- 9 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 10 4 weeks itinerary
- 11 time needed - disembarking ferry and to WLG airport
- 12 Winterfest - Medieval Festival - Parramatta
- 13 Need advice for South Island New Zealand trip
- 14 Sydney-Queensland-New Zealand
- 15 travel agency for PNG
- 16 Blue Mountains
- 17 New Zealand North Island Trip recommendations
- 18 Port Arthur v Alcatraz
- 19 Please critique our South Island, NZ itinerary
- 20 camper van tour.. 5 months itinery needed
- 21 A week in Brisbane/Sunshine coast, sightseeing suggestions needed.
- 22 Melbourne hotels
- 23 Car rental for Kangaroo Island
- 24 Physically Disabled Solo Traveler in Sydney, Cairns
- 25 Where to go for 6 days after Sydney Congress