We are fortunate in being able to add a NZ extension to our Oz trip. We plan on spending about 9 days in the South Island, spending a couple days at Franz and Fox, 3 days or so at QT, a day at Milford Sound, and a day at Aoraki/Mt Cook.
Our concern is that we are not skiiers, and many of the other activities in QT seemed to be geared toward warmer weather. Is 3 days in QT in winter for non-skiiers advisable? Are there any "must do" winter sites or activities.
By the same token, it appears that winter driving into Milford Sound may be questionable. Is it correct to assume MS should be viewed in winter time? Should we simply bus it there?
We are planning to rent a car, and have significant winter driving experience here in the New England area, but it seems like NZ winters are a bit different with avalanche threats and the like.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
NZ South Island in July
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Sydney and Auckland
- 2 Lochiel Fraudulant Hotel near Melbourne warning to fellow travellers
- 3 4 weeks in NZ in Feb. 2015
- 4 Internet access
- 5 Night Out Byron Bay
- 6 Christchurch or Auckland?
- 7 Planning first trip to Australia - input requested.
- 8 Family trip to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- 9 10 days itinerary
- 10 Fremantle my love..
- 11 26 day NZ motorhome itinerary.
- 12 Packing List
- 13 Do Great Ocean Road or head to New Zealand?
- 14 12 day Australia Itinerary
- 15 Books?
- 16 Four Weeks on the South Island. Report
- 17 Choosing a Visa
- 18 Australia & NZ -3 weeks
- 19 One spare day in Darwin
- 20 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 21 Kangaroo Island/port Douglas
- 22 Travel Visa
- 23 Canberra
- 24 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 25 Christmas Day lunch or Dinner in Sydney