We are fortunate in being able to add a NZ extension to our Oz trip. We plan on spending about 9 days in the South Island, spending a couple days at Franz and Fox, 3 days or so at QT, a day at Milford Sound, and a day at Aoraki/Mt Cook.
Our concern is that we are not skiiers, and many of the other activities in QT seemed to be geared toward warmer weather. Is 3 days in QT in winter for non-skiiers advisable? Are there any "must do" winter sites or activities.
By the same token, it appears that winter driving into Milford Sound may be questionable. Is it correct to assume MS should be viewed in winter time? Should we simply bus it there?
We are planning to rent a car, and have significant winter driving experience here in the New England area, but it seems like NZ winters are a bit different with avalanche threats and the like.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 2 16 days in Australia
- 3 Exmouth WhaleSharks and Wildflowers
- 4 NZ forum HELP- North and South Island itinerary review
- 5 Motels in Cairns
- 6 Gluten free Australia
- 7 Sydney to Coffs Harbour in Jan with kids, 9 and 11
- 8 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 9 Picton to Queenstown 6days
- 10 Uluru
- 11 Pudding cups in New Zealand
- 12 Between a rock and a hard spot
- 13 In & Around Melbourne & Sydney
- 14 bushwalking in the Blue Mountains
- 15 Where to stay overnight between Abel Tasman NP and Fox Glacier?
- 16 Cairns & Port Douglas
- 17 One week stay using Brisbane as starting base
- 18 Melbourne, GOR & Grampians
- 19 Brisbane to Sydney in 4-5 days! Itinerary help!
- 20 from Te Anau, NZ: fly to AKL from Invercargill or Queenstown?
- 21 25day planning for Australia
- 22 Going to Uluru - Is it worth it?
- 23 Help New Zealand
- 24 Snow ideas near Melbourne and Sydney
- 25 8 day trip to New Zealand