We are fortunate in being able to add a NZ extension to our Oz trip. We plan on spending about 9 days in the South Island, spending a couple days at Franz and Fox, 3 days or so at QT, a day at Milford Sound, and a day at Aoraki/Mt Cook.
Our concern is that we are not skiiers, and many of the other activities in QT seemed to be geared toward warmer weather. Is 3 days in QT in winter for non-skiiers advisable? Are there any "must do" winter sites or activities.
By the same token, it appears that winter driving into Milford Sound may be questionable. Is it correct to assume MS should be viewed in winter time? Should we simply bus it there?
We are planning to rent a car, and have significant winter driving experience here in the New England area, but it seems like NZ winters are a bit different with avalanche threats and the like.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 http://nutrapumpprovasweden.com/renovie/
- 2 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 3 Mt Buller for 1 night in July
- 4 16 Days on the South Island
- 5 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 6 Hamilton Island
- 7 Need help in Auckland
- 8 Restaurant recommendations for Tahiti
- 9 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 10 Six Weeks Down Under
- 11 Itinerary for full day bus trip outside of Auckland
- 12 Uber in Sydney
- 13 Sydney Airport for International Flight
- 14 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 15 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 16 Darwin Accomodations
- 17 Airport Fees for Europcar Rental Cars
- 18 New Zealand Itinerary - Looking for suggestions on 12-13 days on the Ground
- 19 Lodging Reservations in NSW
- 20 New Zealand 3-week itinerary over Christmas
- 21 The Red Center?
- 22 Trip to Cairns
- 23 Blue mountain Or Daintree in July
- 24 Sydney Restauranr Near Opera House for Early Dining
- 25 Kaikoura-Picton coast road