We are fortunate in being able to add a NZ extension to our Oz trip. We plan on spending about 9 days in the South Island, spending a couple days at Franz and Fox, 3 days or so at QT, a day at Milford Sound, and a day at Aoraki/Mt Cook.
Our concern is that we are not skiiers, and many of the other activities in QT seemed to be geared toward warmer weather. Is 3 days in QT in winter for non-skiiers advisable? Are there any "must do" winter sites or activities.
By the same token, it appears that winter driving into Milford Sound may be questionable. Is it correct to assume MS should be viewed in winter time? Should we simply bus it there?
We are planning to rent a car, and have significant winter driving experience here in the New England area, but it seems like NZ winters are a bit different with avalanche threats and the like.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand Trip 13D/13N - Need help to finalize itinerary
- 2 Opal card?
- 3 Great Ocean Road
- 4 Red Centre - how long to stay
- 5 New Zealand South Island Itinerary
- 6 Milford Track - Alternate options when the huts are not available?
- 7 Wallaby vs All Blacks in Sydney in August
- 8 Australia & New Zealand tour companies
- 9 Two weeks in Australia: 2015 Trip Report
- 10 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 11 New Zealand Itinerary Help
- 12 Planning a trip in Australia
- 13 North Island New Zealand itinerary help Oct 2015
- 14 Good Base for a stay in Australia
- 15 Looking for feedback on four week itinerary
- 16 New Zealand South Island trip - Itinerary guidance
- 17 2/3 day stay on the GBR from Brisbane
- 18 Campervans/Motorhome questions
- 19 Tasmania Itinerary for a fly fisherman
- 20 2 weeks trip in Australia
- 21 How is this itinerary?
- 22 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 23 If you had 2 months for NZ and Australia
- 24 Wallis and Futuna decision
- 25 practical advice needed - GPS, phone, hotels