I have read so many posts and replies on this forum and was hoping for some expertise on what will be a special trip for us as its the first time as a couple we have been away on a trip without our kids. We would greatly appreciate any advice!
We have done our research into our April NZ trip and have read other itineraries and trip reports and have come up with a rough itinerary for the 14 days. We are hoping for some advice in terms of places to see on the itinerary and any other places that we may have overlooked but are easily achievable in the time frame. We have looked at the road distances and think they are all achievable without driving tired - but we realise the road conditions can change what looks like a short distance on a map.
In terms of us and our interests - we are a couple in our 40s and have a moderate budget. Firstly and foremost - we love the outdoors, bush walks, hiking, scenery etc. Its what we do most here in Australia. In towns/cities we like good food and art/culture while we are there. We don't mind a bit of adventure and hope to get some kayaking/cave tours/boat trips in but we also want to relax and enjoy ourselves as well on a few occasions.
Our flights are booked - into Christchurch and out of Queenstown so they are the only restrictions. Happy to completely rearrange if it works out better going in another direction.
April/Day 1 - Christchurch - collect hire car - explore local area - stay in Christchurch
April/Day 2 - Explore Akaroa – stay in Christchurch again
April/Day 3 - drive to Kaikoura (could add a night after here to stay in Nelson to visit Abel Tasman National park - take off the 4 nights in Queenstown...researching this at the moment)
April/Day 4 – Kaikoura to Hokitika via Arthurs Pass
April/Day 5 – stay Hokitika
April/Day 6 – Drive to Franz Joseph
April/Day 7 – Stay Franz Joseph – visit FJ.Glacier
April/Day 8 – Drive to Wanaka
April/Day 9 – Stay Wanaka – Visit Mt Aspiring NP
April/Day 10 – Drive to Te Anau
April/Day 11 – Te Anau Overnight Cruise/day cruise undecided – Doubtful Sound or Milford sound?
April/Day 12 – Queenstown (could use 2 of 4 nights in Queenstown to stay longer elsewhere...just put 4 here as a guide)
April/Day 13 – Queenstown
April/Day 14 – Queenstown
April/Day 15 Queenstown – Fly out midday
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Oct - 30 Day Trip to Australia & New Zealand
- 2 14 day South NZ Trip
- 3 NZ's Yellow Eyed Penguins Face Extinction on the Mainland
- 4 North Island Itinerary Help
- 5 Visa for Australia
- 6 Gold Coast -whale watching
- 7 Hotel Sydney
- 8 Transportation advice needed
- 9 Need advice on Blue Mountain trip
- 10 Sydney Harbor Marriott
- 11 Three days in Cairns
- 12 Best Priced Tour for Sydney Harbor Bridge Blue Mountain & Hunter Valley
- 13 Gold coast for 6 days in July
- 14 2 Nights in Blue moutain End June
- 15 Tasmania - looking for bird watching guide for day trips
- 16 itinerary for one month in Australia with a kid
- 17 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 18 Air Tahiti Baggage Allowance
- 19 Potts point OR CBD in Sydney
- 20 NZ DoC hut fees to rise in some cases
- 21 Favorite activities in Moorea, Bora Bora?
- 22 Trip report: Ultimate 3-week Australia itinerary
- 23 Blue mountain or Pacific Ocean drive
- 24 E-visa scams
- 25 GOR & Otway zipline together