My husband and I are interested in traveling the countryside in NZ and enjoying the beauty of nature, lakes, and mountains, and then taking an excursion to Australia where we'd like to experience wildlife and the rain forest - and specifically be able to hold a Koala Bear!! We want to put together a self guided tour but since we have not traveled much, we are at a loss as to where to start. We are considering taking a 2 week vacation and going either in late Nov. to mid Dec., or not until June, so would like to know the best time for outdoor experiences weather wise. We would even consider a road trip in a rented motorhome, so mostly just need help with an itinerary suggesting a place for us to land and begin the trek, stops along the way where we can park with hookups if that is a desireable accommodation option, and recommendations on how long to stay at each destination, an ending spot in NZ where we could then travel to Australia, and make note of a couple of highlighted areas to see there, including the best Zoo type place to visit to get the Koala bear fix in!, and the most logical place to fly back out of!! Any detailed assistance would be greatly appreciated!!
NZ road trip and excursion to Australia
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Fremantle my love..
- 2 4 weeks in NZ in Feb. 2015
- 3 10 days itinerary
- 4 Christchurch or Auckland?
- 5 Internet access
- 6 26 day NZ motorhome itinerary.
- 7 Planning first trip to Australia - input requested.
- 8 Packing List
- 9 Family trip to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- 10 Do Great Ocean Road or head to New Zealand?
- 11 12 day Australia Itinerary
- 12 Books?
- 13 Four Weeks on the South Island. Report
- 14 Choosing a Visa
- 15 Australia & NZ -3 weeks
- 16 One spare day in Darwin
- 17 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 18 Kangaroo Island/port Douglas
- 19 Travel Visa
- 20 Canberra
- 21 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 22 Christmas Day lunch or Dinner in Sydney
- 23 Family Trip to New Zealand: Would love itinerary thoughts!
- 24 Bicycle Traving - What not to do
- 25 5 Australian restaurants make top 100