I travelled around the South Island of New Zealand 3 years ago and a travelling companion was badly effected by sand fly bites while at Milford Sound and while travelling right up the West Coast. The East Coast and Queenstown were fine.
We are planning to go to the North Island in September this year and we are understandably concerned about sand flies again.
Can anyone advise their experiences? Are there areas we should avoid?
Thanks for your help
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 2 New Zealand 12 Days Aug-Sept
- 3 Drive from Nelson or Christchurch to Queenstown during winter
- 4 2016 Rugby internationals - anyone watching?
- 5 Stay near to Melbourne airport / city?
- 6 some questions about upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand
- 7 Seeking StopOver Ideas for US to Australia Trip
- 8 Where best to pickup rental car in Sydney to travel to the Blue Mountains?
- 9 Tasmania
- 10 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 11 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 12 NZ expects 4.5 million tourists per year by 2022
- 13 Help for 6 days based in Queenstown
- 14 Accommodations Brisbane
- 15 Skiing in Australia in July?
- 16 Australia 2017 - Oz Winter or Spring Honeymoon?
- 17 Cairns to Sydney early 2017
- 18 Repositioning cruise
- 19 18 days nz.
- 20 South Island over December-January Holidays
- 21 Australia/New Zealand 3 weeks
- 22 New Zealand - South Island 8 days
- 23 New Zealand ~3 weeks, nature oriented tour?
- 24 Help finding affordable aprking
- 25 NZ Air Sky Couch Seats