I travelled around the South Island of New Zealand 3 years ago and a travelling companion was badly effected by sand fly bites while at Milford Sound and while travelling right up the West Coast. The East Coast and Queenstown were fine.
We are planning to go to the North Island in September this year and we are understandably concerned about sand flies again.
Can anyone advise their experiences? Are there areas we should avoid?
Thanks for your help
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 2 One-day hike in Milford area
- 3 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 4 14 day South NZ Trip
- 5 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 6 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 7 Best national park around Sydney
- 8 1 night stay around GOR
- 9 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 10 7 days in New Zealand
- 11 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 12 NZ repeat visitors
- 13 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 14 South Island Suggestions
- 15 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 16 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 17 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 18 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 19 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 20 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 21 New Zealand Car Rental
- 22 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 23 What exactly is a NZ sound?
- 24 4 weeks in New Zealand
- 25 An interesting read re driving to Milford Sound