I travelled around the South Island of New Zealand 3 years ago and a travelling companion was badly effected by sand fly bites while at Milford Sound and while travelling right up the West Coast. The East Coast and Queenstown were fine.
We are planning to go to the North Island in September this year and we are understandably concerned about sand flies again.
Can anyone advise their experiences? Are there areas we should avoid?
Thanks for your help
North Island Sand Flies?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 First trip to the North Island in many years, not sure where to start
- 2 Great food/local favorites
- 3 This special community - Fodorville
- 4 Franz Josef hostels/cabins
- 5 Ideas for holidays in Australia in January/February
- 6 South Island - 8 days in February
- 7 Australian Aborigines
- 8 Great food/local favorites
- 9 New Zealand (South Island) 10 Day Itinerary - Need Advice Please
- 10 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 11 Sydney
- 12 Incredible hotel
- 13 Good places to stay for 2015 AFC Asian Cup
- 14 Sydney - Melbourne 2 night / 3 day Road Trip
- 15 australia new zealand trip advice
- 16 New Zealand trip -itinerary help please
- 17 Milford Sound Cruise
- 18 14 day South Island Self drive
- 19 Do Great Ocean Road or head to New Zealand?
- 20 Cruise New Zealand
- 21 Help with Australia/ New Zealand plan!
- 22 Need Packing Advice for Sydney and New Zealand in January
- 23 New Zealand Accommodations
- 24 16 days all over New Zealand
- 25 New Zealand Accommodation Recommendations Needed