Hey Fodor Friends:
My husband, teenage son and I will be in New Zealand for nine nights in early August. We'll be flying in from Cairns, AU, so will hopefully be over our jet lag by then. We love to just wander around, see pretty beaches and other scenery, etc. Please tell me what you think about this itinerary.
Day one: arrive Auckland at noon, look around the city, hotel near airport (free)
Day two: visit Karekare Beach and other beaches nearby, same hotel
Day three: drive up to Whangarei, or somewhere around there, spend the night
Day four: drive to Cathedral Cove, stay in Whitianga
Day five: same as above
Day six: drive around the East Cape, stay somewhere about half way around
Day eight: Gisbourne
Day nine: Gisbourne
Day ten: Rotorua
Day eleven: Auckland, leave the next morning
I could have free hotels in some of these places (Whangarei, Gisbourne, Rororua, and Nelson), and am on a budget, so that explains some of my thinking. But it's not necessary that we do it this way.
Please critique overall, and then I have the following questions: Should we add Nelson to the trip? How else would you adjust? What am I missing? (I know, A LOT!) This gives us two nights in three different places, which means that we're not packing every night. But we're good at being on the road, so could be somewhere different every night, too. Ideas? Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 http://xtrfact.com/bioderm-rx-review/
- 2 Tour Companies Australia and New Zealand
- 3 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 4 4 hour transit in Sydney
- 5 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 6 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 7 14 day South NZ Trip
- 8 6 days Queenstown (NZ) itineary suggestion????
- 9 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 10 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 11 One-day hike in Milford area
- 12 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 13 Best national park around Sydney
- 14 1 night stay around GOR
- 15 7 days in New Zealand
- 16 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 17 NZ repeat visitors
- 18 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 19 South Island Suggestions
- 20 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 21 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 22 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 23 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 24 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 25 New Zealand Car Rental
Hey Fodor Friends: