A friend of mine and I are traveling from the States to New Zealand in Feb. 2015 (just a couple of weeks!). We are flying into Wellington because we have a friend who lives there (who it turns out we are missing!) and then I am flying out of Christ Church 10 days later. We plan to spend the majority of our time on the south island, but we need help with our itinerary. Here's what we have, which I know is insane, but I don't know how to fix it - all suggestions welcome - we like hiking, biking, glaciers, etc. generally being outdoors.
Days 1-2 Wellington and thereabouts.
Day 3-4 take the ferry to Picton, rent a car and drive to Marahau. Stay one night, possibly two?
Day 5-drive from Marahau to Fox and Franz Jose Glacier - is this to far to drive in a day? We would like to hike around a bit and spend the night
Day 5-6 - drive to Wanaka and stay over 1 night
Day 6 drive to Te Anau and stay two nights, do Milford Sound, hike etc
Day 8 fly from Queenstown to Christchurch and back to the U.S.
I am beginning to think that this is totally insane and even though I want to do the ferry from the north island to the south and see Nelson and that area, we should just fly directly to Queenstown area (everyone says not to stay there in particular) and do day trips from there to Milford sound, Wanaka, etc. Is there a better way to get from Marahau to Wanaka than driving?
Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand Itinerary Revised...Advice Please!
- 2 Australia Itinerary
- 3 New Zealand with teenagers
- 4 Another itinerary question
- 5 Suggestions for 3 weeks
- 6 The whisky trail.
- 7 Western Australia (Denmark and New Norcia)
- 8 Australia and New Zealand Oct/Nov 2017
- 9 Bali, Fiji, Bora Bora, Maldives? Which is better?
- 10 Family trip report: Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea
- 11 1 day scenic tour from Gold coast
- 12 Need help on planning 14-15 days trip to Australia
- 13 Help with New Zealand Itinerary
- 14 Mucky, Smchrissy, Margo, Alan -I've lost the New Years Eve thread
- 15 Is this a good time to talk about the Lions' tour?
- 16 help with intinerary please!
- 17 Early Planning to the South Pacific
- 18 Ahe to Manihi or v.v.
- 19 early planning for NZ South Island trip - please provide feedback
- 20 Quaint
- 21 Milford Sound Coach/Cruise/Fly Options
- 22 North and South Island itinerary feedback
- 23 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 24 Western Australia + Where?
- 25 Port Douglas/Cairns