I posted earlier on about traveling to Fiji (as voted on by my geography class) and adding on New Zealand. My total travel time is July 28th to August 13th, and I'm coming from the east coast of the US, so I realize it's quite short! My 26 year old niece will be traveling with me, and she is a big LOTR fan (as am I, actually, but more the books for me) so we wanted to prioritize that. Anyway, here's a very loose itinerary possibility; I would be delighted with any ideas/critiques/help:
TWO NIGHTS QUEENSTOWN
Fly into Queenstown, arriving Saturday morning (we'd have left on Thursday evening.) Walk about in Queenstown.
Sunday, July 31st: "Pure Glenorchy" LOTR tour*, four hours in the morning. Later afternoon??
*not married to this tour, but it gets reasonable reviews
ONE NIGHT WELLINGTON
Monday, August 1st: early morning flight to Wellington; visit Weta and Te Papa (would stay longer in Wellington, but the train is limited on which days it travels)
TWO NIGHTS ROTORUA
Tuesday, August 2nd: scenic train to Rotorua, arriving in time for Maori dinner show?
Wednesday, August 3rd: Te Puia and the geothermal bits or similar (nature/culture)
TWO NIGHTS MATAMATA FARM STAY
Thursday, August 4th Bus (Intercity ca. 4PM?) from Rotorua to Matamata for farm stay: http://www.hobbitontours.com/FarmStay/tabid/119/Default.aspx
Friday, August 5th Visit Hobbiton movie site from farm stay; visit Waitomo?
TWO NIGHTS AUCKLAND
Saturday, August 6th: Transport from Matamata to Auckland via bus
Sunday, August 7th: Auckland; Waitomo tour if not possible on Friday
FIVE NIGHTS FIJI:
Monday, August 8th: Fly to Nadi out of Auckland; stay one night at hotel/apartment near Nadi
Tuesday, August 9th: Yasawa Flyer to Navotua home stay on Nacula island, Yasawas; stay for three nights
Friday, August 12th: return from Yasawas to Nadi area
Saturday, August 13th: fly home, almost meeting ourselves on the way by getting home in "two hours"
Sigh. I used to go on "spend two weeks in one location" trips, but this one is about as busy as last year's! On the other hand, it kinda sounds like fun.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 The recipe here establishes
- 2 Looking For Qantas Points
- 3 Perfecting my NZ Itinerary
- 4 Add Mt Cook or not.
- 5 Sydney Airport Transportation Suggestions
- 6 New Zealand- 4 days Auckland with 2 year old)
- 7 Western Australia (Denmark and New Norcia)
- 8 Itinerary questions on dream holiday
- 9 Gariwerd - The Grampians
- 10 Real estate question
- 11 Moonee Valley, Caulfield, or other track
- 12 Food to Try Out
- 13 Whale Watching - Port Stephens NSW vs. Hervey Bay QLD
- 14 Queenstown-Mt Cook road
- 15 7 night NZ, south island for active couple
- 16 Wainui Falls
- 17 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 18 Sydney Neighborhood for Nightlight and Sightseeing
- 19 Come join me on Rapa Nui, or Easter Island...
- 20 More authentic experience of Maori culture
- 21 Day trips from Wellington
- 22 2-week NZ Itinerary Questions
- 23 Agrodome Farm Tour
- 24 Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?
- 25 Please help create an itinerary in NZ's SI
New Zealand: my too short, winter, non-driving possible itinerary...Help?