I posted earlier on about traveling to Fiji (as voted on by my geography class) and adding on New Zealand. My total travel time is July 28th to August 13th, and I'm coming from the east coast of the US, so I realize it's quite short! My 26 year old niece will be traveling with me, and she is a big LOTR fan (as am I, actually, but more the books for me) so we wanted to prioritize that. Anyway, here's a very loose itinerary possibility; I would be delighted with any ideas/critiques/help:
TWO NIGHTS QUEENSTOWN
Fly into Queenstown, arriving Saturday morning (we'd have left on Thursday evening.) Walk about in Queenstown.
Sunday, July 31st: "Pure Glenorchy" LOTR tour*, four hours in the morning. Later afternoon??
*not married to this tour, but it gets reasonable reviews
ONE NIGHT WELLINGTON
Monday, August 1st: early morning flight to Wellington; visit Weta and Te Papa (would stay longer in Wellington, but the train is limited on which days it travels)
TWO NIGHTS ROTORUA
Tuesday, August 2nd: scenic train to Rotorua, arriving in time for Maori dinner show?
Wednesday, August 3rd: Te Puia and the geothermal bits or similar (nature/culture)
TWO NIGHTS MATAMATA FARM STAY
Thursday, August 4th Bus (Intercity ca. 4PM?) from Rotorua to Matamata for farm stay: http://www.hobbitontours.com/FarmStay/tabid/119/Default.aspx
Friday, August 5th Visit Hobbiton movie site from farm stay; visit Waitomo?
TWO NIGHTS AUCKLAND
Saturday, August 6th: Transport from Matamata to Auckland via bus
Sunday, August 7th: Auckland; Waitomo tour if not possible on Friday
FIVE NIGHTS FIJI:
Monday, August 8th: Fly to Nadi out of Auckland; stay one night at hotel/apartment near Nadi
Tuesday, August 9th: Yasawa Flyer to Navotua home stay on Nacula island, Yasawas; stay for three nights
Friday, August 12th: return from Yasawas to Nadi area
Saturday, August 13th: fly home, almost meeting ourselves on the way by getting home in "two hours"
Sigh. I used to go on "spend two weeks in one location" trips, but this one is about as busy as last year's! On the other hand, it kinda sounds like fun.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Kechuaa: YAHOO Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:540 :683O YAHOO MAIL 24*7
- 2 4 weeks in New Zealand
- 3 Oct - 30 Day Trip to Australia & New Zealand
- 4 5 days trip in South Island
- 5 14 day South NZ Trip
- 6 NZ's Yellow Eyed Penguins Face Extinction on the Mainland
- 7 North Island Itinerary Help
- 8 Visa for Australia
- 9 Gold Coast -whale watching
- 10 Hotel Sydney
- 11 Transportation advice needed
- 12 Need advice on Blue Mountain trip
- 13 Sydney Harbor Marriott
- 14 Three days in Cairns
- 15 Best Priced Tour for Sydney Harbor Bridge Blue Mountain & Hunter Valley
- 16 Gold coast for 6 days in July
- 17 2 Nights in Blue moutain End June
- 18 Tasmania - looking for bird watching guide for day trips
- 19 itinerary for one month in Australia with a kid
- 20 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 21 Air Tahiti Baggage Allowance
- 22 Potts point OR CBD in Sydney
- 23 NZ DoC hut fees to rise in some cases
- 24 Favorite activities in Moorea, Bora Bora?
- 25 Trip report: Ultimate 3-week Australia itinerary
New Zealand: my too short, winter, non-driving possible itinerary...Help?