We're a family of 5 visiting New Zealand from November 10th to 24th. I've put together the below itinerary based on what I've read online and through traveller experiences. Any recommendations/feedback on this?
Also, whats the best way to travel from North to South Island? Is it feasible for us to drive to all the below places or will it be more expensive and confusing considering we know nothing about New Zealand.
Lastly, recommendations for good hotels and tours etc would be most appreciated.
Saturday, 10th Nov
- Arrive Auckland
Sunday, 11th Nov
- Visit Waikatere Ranges and the Arataki Centre (around 30 mins drive from Auckland City)
Monday, 12th Nov & Tuesday, 13th Nov
- AKL to Bay of Islands
-Bay of Islands to Cape Reinga
o Stay one night here?
Wednesday, 14th Nov
- Visit Coromondel Peninsula/ Bay of Plenty
- Depart for Queenstown by flight at night?
Thursday, 15th Nov to Monday 19th Nov
- Arrive Queenstown
- Adventure sports etc
- Ziptrek Ecotours
- Arrowtown (30 mins from Queenstown)
--- Start driving towards Christchurch and en route stop at:
o Lake Wanaka (puzzle land)
o Milfred Sound day cruise
o Mt Cook
o Franz Joseph Glacier (helicopter ride?)
---Eventually arrive in Christchurch
o Visit Hanmer Springs for jet boat, rock pools, bungee jumping
- Christchurch to Golden Bay
Tuesday, 20th Nov
- Back in AKL
Wednesday, 21st Nov to Friday, 23rd Nov
- Leave early for Rotorua (Spend one/two nights?)
o Wai-o-Tapu Geothermal wonderland and Devil’s pit
o Enjoy traditional Maori concert at Maori village Te Tawa Ngahere Marae Pa
o Tongoriro National Park
o Waitomo Caves (Black Water tubing ??)
- Head back to AKL on 22nd night or 23rd morning
Friday, 23rd Nov
- Arrive AKL
- Visit Bay of Plenty
- Visit black sand beach?
- Pack and depart
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Apex car rental in Australia
- 2 Is it Worth a Detour to Ballarat before GOR Drive
- 3 8 Full Days South Island: Itinerary Advise
- 4 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 5 help on NZ trip itinerary, what to keep what to skip
- 6 New Zealand North Island Logistics
- 7 Seeking StopOver Ideas for US to Australia Trip
- 8 some questions about upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand
- 9 A family trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains
- 10 Drive from Nelson or Christchurch to Queenstown during winter
- 11 6 1/2 weeks Australia and New Zealand
- 12 Stay near to Melbourne airport / city?
- 13 Where best to pickup rental car in Sydney to travel to the Blue Mountains?
- 14 New Zealand 12 Days Aug-Sept
- 15 2016 Rugby internationals - anyone watching?
- 16 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 17 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 18 Tasmania
- 19 NZ expects 4.5 million tourists per year by 2022
- 20 Help for 6 days based in Queenstown
- 21 Accommodations Brisbane
- 22 Skiing in Australia in July?
- 23 Australia 2017 - Oz Winter or Spring Honeymoon?
- 24 Cairns to Sydney early 2017
- 25 Repositioning cruise