We're a family of 5 visiting New Zealand from November 10th to 24th. I've put together the below itinerary based on what I've read online and through traveller experiences. Any recommendations/feedback on this?
Also, whats the best way to travel from North to South Island? Is it feasible for us to drive to all the below places or will it be more expensive and confusing considering we know nothing about New Zealand.
Lastly, recommendations for good hotels and tours etc would be most appreciated.
Saturday, 10th Nov
- Arrive Auckland
Sunday, 11th Nov
- Visit Waikatere Ranges and the Arataki Centre (around 30 mins drive from Auckland City)
Monday, 12th Nov & Tuesday, 13th Nov
- AKL to Bay of Islands
-Bay of Islands to Cape Reinga
o Stay one night here?
Wednesday, 14th Nov
- Visit Coromondel Peninsula/ Bay of Plenty
- Depart for Queenstown by flight at night?
Thursday, 15th Nov to Monday 19th Nov
- Arrive Queenstown
- Adventure sports etc
- Ziptrek Ecotours
- Arrowtown (30 mins from Queenstown)
--- Start driving towards Christchurch and en route stop at:
o Lake Wanaka (puzzle land)
o Milfred Sound day cruise
o Mt Cook
o Franz Joseph Glacier (helicopter ride?)
---Eventually arrive in Christchurch
o Visit Hanmer Springs for jet boat, rock pools, bungee jumping
- Christchurch to Golden Bay
Tuesday, 20th Nov
- Back in AKL
Wednesday, 21st Nov to Friday, 23rd Nov
- Leave early for Rotorua (Spend one/two nights?)
o Wai-o-Tapu Geothermal wonderland and Devil’s pit
o Enjoy traditional Maori concert at Maori village Te Tawa Ngahere Marae Pa
o Tongoriro National Park
o Waitomo Caves (Black Water tubing ??)
- Head back to AKL on 22nd night or 23rd morning
Friday, 23rd Nov
- Arrive AKL
- Visit Bay of Plenty
- Visit black sand beach?
- Pack and depart
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Solo (mostly) coach trip - 45 days itinerary planning
- 2 Arriving in Queenstown - When to Visit Milford Sound?
- 3 Rental Car Return and Melbourne
- 4 Prelim itinerary- 12 nights on the North Island
- 5 May/June Wedding on Rarotonga
- 6 Foreign Exchange Programs
- 7 Cairns or Port Douglas
- 8 Planning 20 days in Autralia
- 9 Tonga is a off the beaten track, but a beautiful destination: See my pics!
- 10 Where to Sky Dive and Bungee in NZ
- 11 Solo travel in Australia -- not sure where to go!
- 12 Need Help On French Polynesia Trip in June.
- 13 Itinerary set! Any Fodorites up for meeting up in Australia?
- 14 New Zealand-Trip Report-30 Days North & South Island
- 15 Two day South Coast & Southern Highlands loop - restaurant reccos please.
- 16 Sydney or Melbourne for wine tour?
- 17 2 wks in Oz--Melbourne, GOR, Tas, Pt Douglas, Atherton Tbllnds, pt 2
- 18 Southern Highlands vs Hunter Valley
- 19 New Zealand Trip Planning
- 20 Brisbane Airpot Hotel advice
- 21 Sorting out time in Sydney
- 22 Please help finalize our Tasmania itinerary
- 23 2 wks in Oz--Melbourne, GOR, Tas, Pt Douglas, Atherton Tbllnds, pt 1
- 24 French Polynesia - Cruise or Land?
- 25 10 day sailing French Polynesia on a budget