We're a family of 5 visiting New Zealand from November 10th to 24th. I've put together the below itinerary based on what I've read online and through traveller experiences. Any recommendations/feedback on this?
Also, whats the best way to travel from North to South Island? Is it feasible for us to drive to all the below places or will it be more expensive and confusing considering we know nothing about New Zealand.
Lastly, recommendations for good hotels and tours etc would be most appreciated.
Saturday, 10th Nov
- Arrive Auckland
Sunday, 11th Nov
- Visit Waikatere Ranges and the Arataki Centre (around 30 mins drive from Auckland City)
Monday, 12th Nov & Tuesday, 13th Nov
- AKL to Bay of Islands
-Bay of Islands to Cape Reinga
o Stay one night here?
Wednesday, 14th Nov
- Visit Coromondel Peninsula/ Bay of Plenty
- Depart for Queenstown by flight at night?
Thursday, 15th Nov to Monday 19th Nov
- Arrive Queenstown
- Adventure sports etc
- Ziptrek Ecotours
- Arrowtown (30 mins from Queenstown)
--- Start driving towards Christchurch and en route stop at:
o Lake Wanaka (puzzle land)
o Milfred Sound day cruise
o Mt Cook
o Franz Joseph Glacier (helicopter ride?)
---Eventually arrive in Christchurch
o Visit Hanmer Springs for jet boat, rock pools, bungee jumping
- Christchurch to Golden Bay
Tuesday, 20th Nov
- Back in AKL
Wednesday, 21st Nov to Friday, 23rd Nov
- Leave early for Rotorua (Spend one/two nights?)
o Wai-o-Tapu Geothermal wonderland and Devil’s pit
o Enjoy traditional Maori concert at Maori village Te Tawa Ngahere Marae Pa
o Tongoriro National Park
o Waitomo Caves (Black Water tubing ??)
- Head back to AKL on 22nd night or 23rd morning
Friday, 23rd Nov
- Arrive AKL
- Visit Bay of Plenty
- Visit black sand beach?
- Pack and depart
Need some advise on my New Zealand itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand: Milford or Routeburn Track? 8 more days
- 2 Where to stay near Melbourne
- 3 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 4 Sydney on New Years Eve: Worth It?
- 5 Is there a "best time" to visit Abel Tasman and the northern South Island?
- 6 Options for Oceania Cruise - land excursion options
- 7 South and North New Zealand in three weeks
- 8 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 9 Ghan, Indian Pacific trains -- reserve ASAP
- 10 Best Car rental company to use--Australia & New Zealand
- 11 Is French really spoken in Tahiti?
- 12 Adelaide and Kangaroo Island
- 13 Cairns Activities & Excursions for 4 Days
- 14 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 15 Accommodation Brisbane
- 16 Accommodation Brisbane
- 17 Happy Australia Day!
- 18 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June
- 19 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 20 Tim Tam
- 21 Tipping
- 22 Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?
- 23 Transit Time at SYD
- 24 Where to visit outside Melbourne for several days?
- 25 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland