I just booked a 6 week trip to Australia. I fly into Melbourne Jan 18 and leave from Sydney on Feb 27. It's always been a life goal of mine to attend all four tennis grand slams which is why I'm flying into Melbourne the first week of the Australian Open. From there, I figured if I'm halfway around the world I should make it into an extended trip. From Melbourne, I then plan to make my way up the east coast to Cairns. I don't plan on having a "set" itinerary as I know you have to play it by ear when traveling but I do plan to have a general outline of places I want to hit. I've just started to look but it seems like there are numerous "bigger" attractions along the way (Whitesunday, Frasier, Byron Bay, 1770, etc..). Are these the places to go or is it best to get off the beaten track a bit more and explore other areas? Also, is 6 weeks enough time to do this right? I want to experience all I can but at the same time I don't want to feel rushed. In terms of traveling it seems like Greyhound Australia has a hop on/hop off pass from Melbourne to Cairns. Would that be the best way to go?
A bit more about me- I'm a 29 year old male from New York. Recently discovered my love for traveling and over the past year I've done three one week trips to Europe. This will be my first time traveling alone though. I'm a social person and don't have issues meeting people but the thought of traveling alone for 40 days is somewhat daunting too.
Thanks for any insight/advice you might have!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Perfecting my NZ Itinerary
- 2 First Light Travel
- 3 Add Mt Cook or not.
- 4 Sydney Airport Transportation Suggestions
- 5 New Zealand- 4 days Auckland with 2 year old)
- 6 Western Australia (Denmark and New Norcia)
- 7 Itinerary questions on dream holiday
- 8 Gariwerd - The Grampians
- 9 Real estate question
- 10 Moonee Valley, Caulfield, or other track
- 11 Food to Try Out
- 12 Whale Watching - Port Stephens NSW vs. Hervey Bay QLD
- 13 Queenstown-Mt Cook road
- 14 7 night NZ, south island for active couple
- 15 Wainui Falls
- 16 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 17 Sydney Neighborhood for Nightlight and Sightseeing
- 18 Come join me on Rapa Nui, or Easter Island...
- 19 More authentic experience of Maori culture
- 20 Day trips from Wellington
- 21 2-week NZ Itinerary Questions
- 22 Agrodome Farm Tour
- 23 Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?
- 24 Please help create an itinerary in NZ's SI
- 25 3 days on North Island, NZ