We are a family with a 12 yr old and will be coming from a 12 day trip in NZ South Island and landing in Melbourne around Christmas. Here is what we are thinking about for the 10 days that we have - Melbourne - Port Douglas - GBR - Melbourne. The drive along GOR is a must do and would love to do snorkelling in GBR if weather permits. Since we have a pretty packed trip in NZ, would like this leg to be relaxed. We are flexible on the exit point.
Seeking your advise and suggestions on the following -
1) Does the above route do justice at least in part to this side of this wonderful country?
2) I read in another post here for a 2 week travel in Dec about Tasmania which I agree is beautiful. Is there a way to do Tasmania after spending 2 nites in Mel and doing the GOR drive? We can skip the GBR for now and come back later.
3) Along the above route, which is the best place to spend the NYE?
4) We would like to do a winery stay or tour. Any recommendations would be very helpful.
Much thanks in advance..
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Living in the City on a Budget
- 2 Cairns airfare getting too high
- 3 Hamilton Island
- 4 Six Weeks Down Under
- 5 Airport Fees for Europcar Rental Cars
- 6 Driving direction on the Great Ocean Road
- 7 In and around Sydney
- 8 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 9 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 10 Mt Buller for 1 night in July
- 11 Cruising AUS & NZ 2018
- 12 CFP: how much to bring, ATMs?
- 13 3 weeks in NZ
- 14 First Time - Assistance with NZ- South
- 15 Flood Emergency Services
- 16 7 days in New Zealand
- 17 16 Days on the South Island
- 18 Need help in Auckland
- 19 Restaurant recommendations for Tahiti
- 20 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 21 Itinerary for full day bus trip outside of Auckland
- 22 Uber in Sydney
- 23 Sydney Airport for International Flight
- 24 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 25 Sydney GTG - March 14?