I'll be in Melbourne for a few days in July, mostly for a conference. Here are my thoughts:
Wednesday, July 9th.
Arrive 8:30 pm evening; take Sky Bus to Park Hyatt Melbourne
Walk to the following:
- St. Patricks Cathedral
- Fitzroy Gardens and Brunswick street
- Town Hall
- Royal/Block Arcade
- Old Treasury Building and Gardens
- Federation Square: Birraring Marr Park, St. Paul's Cathedral, Scot's Church, Flinders Street Station
- Ian Potter Centre
- catch tram or walk back to hotel, then head to conference at 6 pm (Exhibition Centre)
- tram back, dinner at Upstairs or Cellar Bar at Grossi Florentino
Conference all day. Dinner at The Atlantic
Saturday: Conference all Day. Dinner at Hooks
- time permitting, wander around Docklands
- conference till noon
Catch bus 216 or 219 at SE corner Queen and :18 and :48 past hour to Rippon Lea
- Catch bus back at :21 or :51
- Drink Rooftop Bar and Cinema
- Dinner at Cumulus Inc
- Melbourne Museum
- Walk to new Hotel, Downtowner on Lygon
- Tram to National Gallery of Victoria
- Eureka Tower
- wander about
- drink at Bar Americano
- dinner at Jimmy Watson's Wine Bar
Catch 6 am bus from hotel to airport, with a transit
Walk all bags to Holiday Inn Melbourne airport, where I will stay Wednesday night
Catch flight to Canberra at 8:35.
I think this all sounds pretty doable. Thursday could be tight, but it's mostly walking as opposed to major museums. I'm thinking maybe 2 hours for Ian Potter Centre.
Any suggestions on gay bars? Major things I'm missing?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Help a North American understand winter in New Zealand
- 2 Dec trip - Itinerary planning help and recommendations
- 3 New Zealand Itinerary January/February
- 4 Sydney on New Years Eve: Worth It?
- 5 3 days for trip from Christchurch
- 6 One day in Sydney
- 7 Wash your Boots! A New Zealand Trip Report
- 8 Need help on 2 week itinerary - North Island, winter, with kids (5, 7, 10)
- 9 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 10 Help organizing a Tasmanian road trip
- 11 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary - Sydney & New Zealand (South Island)
- 12 Fiji - Snorkel & Scuba
- 13 9 days in Fiji
- 14 Which Island for a longer stay?
- 15 Great Barrier Reef snorkeling vs Fiji snorkeling for a 2 week honeymoon?
- 16 Auf Wiedersehen Australia
- 17 Australia Itinerary Help In July/August
- 18 Red Centre - how long to stay
- 19 New Zealand/Fiji/Tahiti/Australia oh my
- 20 Physically Disabled Solo Traveler in Sydney, Cairns
- 21 Final leg of trip: SI to NI
- 22 Australia Trip Report: Hayman Island/SCUBA/GBR (part 5)
- 23 New Zealand Trip: Late September/South Island/10 days.
- 24 Dining Solo in Australia's capital cities?
- 25 Sydney - inner west & eastern suburbs - local gems