I'll be in Melbourne for a few days in July, mostly for a conference. Here are my thoughts:
Wednesday, July 9th.
Arrive 8:30 pm evening; take Sky Bus to Park Hyatt Melbourne
Walk to the following:
- St. Patricks Cathedral
- Fitzroy Gardens and Brunswick street
- Town Hall
- Royal/Block Arcade
- Old Treasury Building and Gardens
- Federation Square: Birraring Marr Park, St. Paul's Cathedral, Scot's Church, Flinders Street Station
- Ian Potter Centre
- catch tram or walk back to hotel, then head to conference at 6 pm (Exhibition Centre)
- tram back, dinner at Upstairs or Cellar Bar at Grossi Florentino
Conference all day. Dinner at The Atlantic
Saturday: Conference all Day. Dinner at Hooks
- time permitting, wander around Docklands
- conference till noon
Catch bus 216 or 219 at SE corner Queen and :18 and :48 past hour to Rippon Lea
- Catch bus back at :21 or :51
- Drink Rooftop Bar and Cinema
- Dinner at Cumulus Inc
- Melbourne Museum
- Walk to new Hotel, Downtowner on Lygon
- Tram to National Gallery of Victoria
- Eureka Tower
- wander about
- drink at Bar Americano
- dinner at Jimmy Watson's Wine Bar
Catch 6 am bus from hotel to airport, with a transit
Walk all bags to Holiday Inn Melbourne airport, where I will stay Wednesday night
Catch flight to Canberra at 8:35.
I think this all sounds pretty doable. Thursday could be tight, but it's mostly walking as opposed to major museums. I'm thinking maybe 2 hours for Ian Potter Centre.
Any suggestions on gay bars? Major things I'm missing?
Melbourne Itinerary Review
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Adelaide and Kangaroo Island
- 2 Transit Time at SYD
- 3 Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?
- 4 Is French really spoken in Tahiti?
- 5 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 6 Happy Australia Day!
- 7 Where to visit outside Melbourne for several days?
- 8 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June
- 9 Tipping
- 10 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 11 Tim Tam
- 12 Where to stay near Melbourne
- 13 Car rentals south island
- 14 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 15 Brisbane, need short term accommodation
- 16 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 17 Pls help with NZ South Island 12 days with surfing itinerary!
- 18 New Zealand South Island in 8 days!
- 19 OZ and NZ with a 16month old baby
- 20 NZ North Island 17 days in March
- 21 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 22 New Zealand
- 23 Need Rotorua advice
- 24 My tips for NZ motorhome hire
- 25 Broome to Cape Leveque