I'll be in Melbourne for a few days in July, mostly for a conference. Here are my thoughts:
Wednesday, July 9th.
Arrive 8:30 pm evening; take Sky Bus to Park Hyatt Melbourne
Walk to the following:
- St. Patricks Cathedral
- Fitzroy Gardens and Brunswick street
- Town Hall
- Royal/Block Arcade
- Old Treasury Building and Gardens
- Federation Square: Birraring Marr Park, St. Paul's Cathedral, Scot's Church, Flinders Street Station
- Ian Potter Centre
- catch tram or walk back to hotel, then head to conference at 6 pm (Exhibition Centre)
- tram back, dinner at Upstairs or Cellar Bar at Grossi Florentino
Conference all day. Dinner at The Atlantic
Saturday: Conference all Day. Dinner at Hooks
- time permitting, wander around Docklands
- conference till noon
Catch bus 216 or 219 at SE corner Queen and :18 and :48 past hour to Rippon Lea
- Catch bus back at :21 or :51
- Drink Rooftop Bar and Cinema
- Dinner at Cumulus Inc
- Melbourne Museum
- Walk to new Hotel, Downtowner on Lygon
- Tram to National Gallery of Victoria
- Eureka Tower
- wander about
- drink at Bar Americano
- dinner at Jimmy Watson's Wine Bar
Catch 6 am bus from hotel to airport, with a transit
Walk all bags to Holiday Inn Melbourne airport, where I will stay Wednesday night
Catch flight to Canberra at 8:35.
I think this all sounds pretty doable. Thursday could be tight, but it's mostly walking as opposed to major museums. I'm thinking maybe 2 hours for Ian Potter Centre.
Any suggestions on gay bars? Major things I'm missing?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 2 full days in Cairns
- 2 Weather in Fiji
- 3 Advice on Itinerary for New Zealand-12 full days
- 4 new zealand road maps?
- 5 Need your help to participate: Travel & Tourism academic survey
- 6 Sydney CBC Serviced Apartment
- 7 Final Itinerary and A Few Questions
- 8 Melbourne eateries
- 9 Au Pair
- 10 Transport changes in Prague
- 11 Manly Jazz Festival - 2015
- 12 You asked for it, and now you've got it a new Fighter
- 13 Itinerary Help! Queenstown Five Day Return Trip
- 14 Complete Novice
- 15 Kangaroo Island
- 16 Which cruise in Strahan?
- 17 New Zealand by cruise vs. land
- 18 Where to visit
- 19 Which escorted tour of Australia, NZ, Tasmania?
- 20 Tahiti or Raiatea?
- 21 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 22 Tasmania trip itinerary update - thoughts appreciated
- 23 2weeks in Austrailia
- 24 Wallaby vs All Blacks in Sydney in August
- 25 Need your help to participate: Travel & Tourism academic survey