I'll be in Melbourne for a few days in July, mostly for a conference. Here are my thoughts:
Wednesday, July 9th.
Arrive 8:30 pm evening; take Sky Bus to Park Hyatt Melbourne
Walk to the following:
- St. Patricks Cathedral
- Fitzroy Gardens and Brunswick street
- Town Hall
- Royal/Block Arcade
- Old Treasury Building and Gardens
- Federation Square: Birraring Marr Park, St. Paul's Cathedral, Scot's Church, Flinders Street Station
- Ian Potter Centre
- catch tram or walk back to hotel, then head to conference at 6 pm (Exhibition Centre)
- tram back, dinner at Upstairs or Cellar Bar at Grossi Florentino
Conference all day. Dinner at The Atlantic
Saturday: Conference all Day. Dinner at Hooks
- time permitting, wander around Docklands
- conference till noon
Catch bus 216 or 219 at SE corner Queen and :18 and :48 past hour to Rippon Lea
- Catch bus back at :21 or :51
- Drink Rooftop Bar and Cinema
- Dinner at Cumulus Inc
- Melbourne Museum
- Walk to new Hotel, Downtowner on Lygon
- Tram to National Gallery of Victoria
- Eureka Tower
- wander about
- drink at Bar Americano
- dinner at Jimmy Watson's Wine Bar
Catch 6 am bus from hotel to airport, with a transit
Walk all bags to Holiday Inn Melbourne airport, where I will stay Wednesday night
Catch flight to Canberra at 8:35.
I think this all sounds pretty doable. Thursday could be tight, but it's mostly walking as opposed to major museums. I'm thinking maybe 2 hours for Ian Potter Centre.
Any suggestions on gay bars? Major things I'm missing?
Melbourne Itinerary Review
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Wash your Boots! A New Zealand Trip Report
- 2 When to travel to New Zealand?
- 3 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 4 Please help with New Zealand Itinerary - 12 days
- 5 Adelaide/Kangaroo Island or AliceSprings/Uluru?
- 6 Australia Trip Guidance Needed - Esp GBR
- 7 NZ Proposed Trip Itinerary (Constructive Suggestions Appreciated!)
- 8 Best deal on debit/credit/cash cards
- 9 Small group multi-day hiking operators around Queenstown NZ?
- 10 Question about the "Build Up"
- 11 Buy snorkeling fins in Sydney
- 12 Tentative South Island NZ itinerary--what do you think?
- 13 3-1/2 days in Auckland .... Your personal recommendations, please.
- 14 Tipping
- 15 2 weeks in AUS and destination similar to Port Douglas?
- 16 Clueless Yank ISO Alice guidance
- 17 Songdoc's Photos of Beautiful Tasmania
- 18 auckland connection
- 19 Five weeks in ANZ
- 20 Drive from Alice Springs to Kings Canyon
- 21 Pictures and HD Videos from one week in Palau
- 22 A Good Day Trips Company in New Zealand
- 23 Please critique my plan for 2 weeks in Australia (first trip)
- 24 New Zealand Travel Agencies
- 25 Sydney