I'll be in Melbourne for a few days in July, mostly for a conference. Here are my thoughts:
Wednesday, July 9th.
Arrive 8:30 pm evening; take Sky Bus to Park Hyatt Melbourne
Walk to the following:
- St. Patricks Cathedral
- Fitzroy Gardens and Brunswick street
- Town Hall
- Royal/Block Arcade
- Old Treasury Building and Gardens
- Federation Square: Birraring Marr Park, St. Paul's Cathedral, Scot's Church, Flinders Street Station
- Ian Potter Centre
- catch tram or walk back to hotel, then head to conference at 6 pm (Exhibition Centre)
- tram back, dinner at Upstairs or Cellar Bar at Grossi Florentino
Conference all day. Dinner at The Atlantic
Saturday: Conference all Day. Dinner at Hooks
- time permitting, wander around Docklands
- conference till noon
Catch bus 216 or 219 at SE corner Queen and :18 and :48 past hour to Rippon Lea
- Catch bus back at :21 or :51
- Drink Rooftop Bar and Cinema
- Dinner at Cumulus Inc
- Melbourne Museum
- Walk to new Hotel, Downtowner on Lygon
- Tram to National Gallery of Victoria
- Eureka Tower
- wander about
- drink at Bar Americano
- dinner at Jimmy Watson's Wine Bar
Catch 6 am bus from hotel to airport, with a transit
Walk all bags to Holiday Inn Melbourne airport, where I will stay Wednesday night
Catch flight to Canberra at 8:35.
I think this all sounds pretty doable. Thursday could be tight, but it's mostly walking as opposed to major museums. I'm thinking maybe 2 hours for Ian Potter Centre.
Any suggestions on gay bars? Major things I'm missing?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Red Centre - how long to stay
- 2 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary - Sydney & New Zealand (South Island)
- 3 Dec trip - Itinerary planning help and recommendations
- 4 Australia Itinerary Help In July/August
- 5 New Zealand/Fiji/Tahiti/Australia oh my
- 6 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 7 Physically Disabled Solo Traveler in Sydney, Cairns
- 8 Final leg of trip: SI to NI
- 9 Australia Trip Report: Hayman Island/SCUBA/GBR (part 5)
- 10 New Zealand Trip: Late September/South Island/10 days.
- 11 Need help on 2 week itinerary - North Island, winter, with kids (5, 7, 10)
- 12 Help a North American understand winter in New Zealand
- 13 Dining Solo in Australia's capital cities?
- 14 Sydney - inner west & eastern suburbs - local gems
- 15 DIY Sydney surroundings
- 16 Pre cruise Sydney hotel recommendations
- 17 Wineglass Bay Cruise V Peppermint Bay Cruise
- 18 A week in Brisbane/Sunshine coast, sightseeing suggestions needed.
- 19 Itinerary help Australia & New Zealand
- 20 Auf Wiedersehen Australia
- 21 Worth giving up a day in Wanaka?
- 22 5 days in Tasmania--help needed
- 23 Car hire in NZ
- 24 Help needed--GBR, Daintree, Mossman, Atherton
- 25 Hobbiton Movie Set Tour Question