I'll be in Melbourne for a few days in July, mostly for a conference. Here are my thoughts:
Wednesday, July 9th.
Arrive 8:30 pm evening; take Sky Bus to Park Hyatt Melbourne
Walk to the following:
- St. Patricks Cathedral
- Fitzroy Gardens and Brunswick street
- Town Hall
- Royal/Block Arcade
- Old Treasury Building and Gardens
- Federation Square: Birraring Marr Park, St. Paul's Cathedral, Scot's Church, Flinders Street Station
- Ian Potter Centre
- catch tram or walk back to hotel, then head to conference at 6 pm (Exhibition Centre)
- tram back, dinner at Upstairs or Cellar Bar at Grossi Florentino
Conference all day. Dinner at The Atlantic
Saturday: Conference all Day. Dinner at Hooks
- time permitting, wander around Docklands
- conference till noon
Catch bus 216 or 219 at SE corner Queen and :18 and :48 past hour to Rippon Lea
- Catch bus back at :21 or :51
- Drink Rooftop Bar and Cinema
- Dinner at Cumulus Inc
- Melbourne Museum
- Walk to new Hotel, Downtowner on Lygon
- Tram to National Gallery of Victoria
- Eureka Tower
- wander about
- drink at Bar Americano
- dinner at Jimmy Watson's Wine Bar
Catch 6 am bus from hotel to airport, with a transit
Walk all bags to Holiday Inn Melbourne airport, where I will stay Wednesday night
Catch flight to Canberra at 8:35.
I think this all sounds pretty doable. Thursday could be tight, but it's mostly walking as opposed to major museums. I'm thinking maybe 2 hours for Ian Potter Centre.
Any suggestions on gay bars? Major things I'm missing?
Melbourne Itinerary Review
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Currency in Australia and New Zealand
- 2 Weather in the Blue Mountains - mid September
- 3 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand.
- 4 Reasonable rental accommodation Sydney or surrounds!!
- 5 Playing Marbles with the Devil - AKA 2 weeks in the Northern Territory
- 6 Paging Cathies
- 7 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 8 Recommendations for travel on the Great Ocean Road
- 9 Joe Tro's Australia/LA trip report
- 10 Recommended transportation for the Blue Mountains
- 11 August week end in Auckland
- 12 NZ vs Aust
- 13 28 days to campervan around australia
- 14 Changing terminals Sydney Airport
- 15 Wicked Weekend I Melbourne - too much fun!
- 16 5 days in Sydney: itinerary review
- 17 Sydney Weather in September
- 18 Go into the wild.. Go inland Australia
- 19 South Island Suggestions ...
- 20 Favorite things to do in Melbourne
- 21 A Long Weekend Escape to Pemberton, WA
- 22 Bora Bora---Snorkeling AT the resort??
- 23 Sydney-Airport to Hotel Transfer Companies
- 24 Christchurch, NZ rebuilding
- 25 Best time of year in NZ and Australia