I am a college student with somewhat of a limited budget that is going to be traveling to New Zealand in roughly a week and will be there for 14 days. My laptop with all my travel plans and research, decided it would die so now here I am last minute trying to re plan my itinerary with what little I have from memory. Any advice/ help given would be greatly appreciated. First off, I will be flying into Wellington on Jan 20th where I was planning on staying at Base Wellington (a hostel) for the night to get my bearings and then go from there the next morning. My intent was to rent a car so that I can move about the country at my own pace. From what I have read and heard from friends, the Southern Island interests me the most, so I plan on spending most of my time exploring it and seeing the best sites of New Zealand while maximizing the time I have there. However, I would like to make it up to Auckland for a day or two. I am an avid scuba diver, so I am considering The Poor Knights, Bay of Islands, Fiordland and Stewart Island. Not sure where to pick if I were only able to do one or two dives. Any better ideas? I definitely want to go and explore the Waitaimo Caves. I am hoping to go on a couple nice scenic day hikes (Fox Glacier is one consideration). Sky diving in Christ Church is also an option. I am very open to any ideas and recommendations that you all might have. My intent is to be staying in cheap lodging for most of the nights, but also "splurging" for a nicer hotel/ resort a few nights.
Last minute trip planning to New Zealand. Please give recommendations.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 2 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 3 South and North New Zealand in three weeks
- 4 Ghan, Indian Pacific trains -- reserve ASAP
- 5 Sydney on New Years Eve: Worth It?
- 6 Best Car rental company to use--Australia & New Zealand
- 7 Is French really spoken in Tahiti?
- 8 Adelaide and Kangaroo Island
- 9 Cairns Activities & Excursions for 4 Days
- 10 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 11 Accommodation Brisbane
- 12 Accommodation Brisbane
- 13 Happy Australia Day!
- 14 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June
- 15 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 16 Tim Tam
- 17 Tipping
- 18 Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?
- 19 Transit Time at SYD
- 20 Where to visit outside Melbourne for several days?
- 21 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 22 Where to stay near Melbourne
- 23 Car rentals south island
- 24 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 25 Brisbane, need short term accommodation