I am a college student with somewhat of a limited budget that is going to be traveling to New Zealand in roughly a week and will be there for 14 days. My laptop with all my travel plans and research, decided it would die so now here I am last minute trying to re plan my itinerary with what little I have from memory. Any advice/ help given would be greatly appreciated. First off, I will be flying into Wellington on Jan 20th where I was planning on staying at Base Wellington (a hostel) for the night to get my bearings and then go from there the next morning. My intent was to rent a car so that I can move about the country at my own pace. From what I have read and heard from friends, the Southern Island interests me the most, so I plan on spending most of my time exploring it and seeing the best sites of New Zealand while maximizing the time I have there. However, I would like to make it up to Auckland for a day or two. I am an avid scuba diver, so I am considering The Poor Knights, Bay of Islands, Fiordland and Stewart Island. Not sure where to pick if I were only able to do one or two dives. Any better ideas? I definitely want to go and explore the Waitaimo Caves. I am hoping to go on a couple nice scenic day hikes (Fox Glacier is one consideration). Sky diving in Christ Church is also an option. I am very open to any ideas and recommendations that you all might have. My intent is to be staying in cheap lodging for most of the nights, but also "splurging" for a nicer hotel/ resort a few nights.
Last minute trip planning to New Zealand. Please give recommendations.
View all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Transportation from Sydney Airport to Four Seasons
- 2 Logical Airline Schedule for 2014 trip.
- 3 Need Packing Advice for Sydney and New Zealand in January
- 4 Alices Springs and uluru tour
- 5 Cricket, diving and NZ - how long to fit it all in?
- 6 Sightseeing & transport in Sydney
- 7 Car Rental in Broome to Drop off in Perth
- 8 PBS Movie"A Town Called Alice"
- 9 Toucan2 in Sydney December 31--mini GTG anyone?
- 10 Two 21 year old students (male) travelling from Brisbane to Cairns
- 11 Franz Josef Glacier in December - Weather and Packing
- 12 Paihia or coromandel
- 13 Emirates and Jetstar
- 14 Where to stay in Christchurch?
- 15 17 days in NZ - NI and SI - Would like feedback on finalizing itinerary
- 16 Travelling to Auckland - Who to use for car rental?
- 17 14 days in NZ in February
- 18 16 days all over New Zealand
- 19 Songdoc's "Mini" NZ Trip Report: Auckland, Wellington & Abel Tasman
- 20 Sydney/GBR/Cairns
- 21 Interesting women's clothes shops in Sydney?
- 22 Heading to Australia!
- 23 New Zealand Accommodation Recommendations Needed
- 24 South Island Itinerary
- 25 A quick jaunt to WASHINGTON DC, CHICAGO, MOOREA FRENCH POLYNESIA - Oct 2013