I am a college student with somewhat of a limited budget that is going to be traveling to New Zealand in roughly a week and will be there for 14 days. My laptop with all my travel plans and research, decided it would die so now here I am last minute trying to re plan my itinerary with what little I have from memory. Any advice/ help given would be greatly appreciated. First off, I will be flying into Wellington on Jan 20th where I was planning on staying at Base Wellington (a hostel) for the night to get my bearings and then go from there the next morning. My intent was to rent a car so that I can move about the country at my own pace. From what I have read and heard from friends, the Southern Island interests me the most, so I plan on spending most of my time exploring it and seeing the best sites of New Zealand while maximizing the time I have there. However, I would like to make it up to Auckland for a day or two. I am an avid scuba diver, so I am considering The Poor Knights, Bay of Islands, Fiordland and Stewart Island. Not sure where to pick if I were only able to do one or two dives. Any better ideas? I definitely want to go and explore the Waitaimo Caves. I am hoping to go on a couple nice scenic day hikes (Fox Glacier is one consideration). Sky diving in Christ Church is also an option. I am very open to any ideas and recommendations that you all might have. My intent is to be staying in cheap lodging for most of the nights, but also "splurging" for a nicer hotel/ resort a few nights.
Last minute trip planning to New Zealand. Please give recommendations.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Hotel w. airport shuttle in Sydney
- 2 New Zealand: Cruise vs. Land
- 3 NZ South Island February 2014 Trip Report
- 4 Sculptures by the Sea 2014, Cottesloe
- 5 1st time to Oz. Suggestions appreciated. (tripplanner001)
- 6 Where to go in Oz/NZ in March and April?
- 7 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 8 Gregory NP or Limmen NP in the NT
- 9 Aussie SPRING with foodie & wino...Perth? SW region? GBR? Help!
- 10 Great Barrier Reef---Luxury resort and convenient snorkeling
- 11 Tasmania or Fiji?
- 12 New Zealand itinerary help
- 13 Hotel in Sydney
- 14 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 15 Melbourne Drive
- 16 Sydney or Melbourne
- 17 Christchurch flooding, motorists should expect delays
- 18 Qantas Flight QF 7
- 19 Hamilton Station, NSW Taxis
- 20 Fishing Charters on Rarotonga
- 21 Adventure Vacation to Australia !!! Need suggestions.
- 22 The Wonders of Western Australia: Trip Report & Slideshow
- 23 Australia in 28 days (Sept 17- Oct 18, 2012)
- 24 Kakadu yellow river cruise
- 25 Launceston,Tasmania-where to stay?