Please advise on a last minute trip to New Zealand for 3 weeks in November. How much planning is necessary in advance? I don't want to limit myself by pre-booking hotels. Can I simply show up and figure out my itinerary as I go? I am not crazy about renting a car (I've driven on the left-side before, but I'm concerned the scenery will be too distracting and days of driving 4+ hours on my own may get tiring). Would buses be equally fine, or too much hassle with luggage vs. having a car and more flexibility? I avoid group tours, but I'm wondering if it may be better with a last minute trip? I hear hiking Milford Track needs to be pre-booked and that concerns me. As for 3 weeks, do you think it's best to just spend time on the north and south islands, or would a side-trip to Sydney and Cairns be doable? Coming all the way from the US, I would like to see both countries and not have to choose between the two. Lastly, for clothing, do I really need to bring all-season gear for November? I've hiked Patagonia on my own in November and lucked out with the weather, but I hear weather/scenery/etc. is similar to NZ. Thanks.
Last minute New Zealand trip help needed please
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Family trip to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- 2 12 day Australia Itinerary
- 3 I've been, I've been to the Land Down Under...
- 4 Packing List
- 5 Abel - Kayak and Walk / Timing Questions
- 6 4 weeks in NZ in Feb. 2015
- 7 Sydney and Auckland
- 8 Lochiel Fraudulant Hotel near Melbourne warning to fellow travellers
- 9 Internet access
- 10 Night Out Byron Bay
- 11 Christchurch or Auckland?
- 12 Planning first trip to Australia - input requested.
- 13 10 days itinerary
- 14 Fremantle my love..
- 15 26 day NZ motorhome itinerary.
- 16 Do Great Ocean Road or head to New Zealand?
- 17 Books?
- 18 Four Weeks on the South Island. Report
- 19 Choosing a Visa
- 20 Australia & NZ -3 weeks
- 21 One spare day in Darwin
- 22 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 23 Kangaroo Island/port Douglas
- 24 Travel Visa
- 25 Canberra