Please advise on a last minute trip to New Zealand for 3 weeks in November. How much planning is necessary in advance? I don't want to limit myself by pre-booking hotels. Can I simply show up and figure out my itinerary as I go? I am not crazy about renting a car (I've driven on the left-side before, but I'm concerned the scenery will be too distracting and days of driving 4+ hours on my own may get tiring). Would buses be equally fine, or too much hassle with luggage vs. having a car and more flexibility? I avoid group tours, but I'm wondering if it may be better with a last minute trip? I hear hiking Milford Track needs to be pre-booked and that concerns me. As for 3 weeks, do you think it's best to just spend time on the north and south islands, or would a side-trip to Sydney and Cairns be doable? Coming all the way from the US, I would like to see both countries and not have to choose between the two. Lastly, for clothing, do I really need to bring all-season gear for November? I've hiked Patagonia on my own in November and lucked out with the weather, but I hear weather/scenery/etc. is similar to NZ. Thanks.
Last minute New Zealand trip help needed please
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Paging Cathies
- 2 Ferry to Manly Beach
- 3 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 4 NZ vs Aust
- 5 Reasonable rental accommodation Sydney or surrounds!!
- 6 Byron Bay or ...
- 7 Playing Marbles with the Devil - AKA 2 weeks in the Northern Territory
- 8 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand.
- 9 Currency in Australia and New Zealand
- 10 Weather in the Blue Mountains - mid September
- 11 Recommendations for travel on the Great Ocean Road
- 12 Joe Tro's Australia/LA trip report
- 13 Recommended transportation for the Blue Mountains
- 14 August week end in Auckland
- 15 28 days to campervan around australia
- 16 Changing terminals Sydney Airport
- 17 Wicked Weekend I Melbourne - too much fun!
- 18 5 days in Sydney: itinerary review
- 19 Sydney Weather in September
- 20 Go into the wild.. Go inland Australia
- 21 South Island Suggestions ...
- 22 Favorite things to do in Melbourne
- 23 A Long Weekend Escape to Pemberton, WA
- 24 Bora Bora---Snorkeling AT the resort??
- 25 Sydney-Airport to Hotel Transfer Companies