My name is Mark from the Netherlands and this is my first post in a long time . Early next year my family and I are travelling to Australia and New Zealand for a sabbatical of about 13 weeks. We are now roughly determining the itinerary. This means that we will stay for about 30 days in Victoria/ South Australia, 30 days in NZ NI and 30 days in NZ SI. We will travel by campervan or large car with a big tent.
My questions are:
- could you please check the draft itinerary and let me know if this makes sense? Please note that We are with two young kids of 4 and 1 so that means that we do not want to drive for more than 4 hours on a day and that we want to stay multiple days on one destination
- do you have any alternative ideas or suggestions along the route or another route we did not think of? We like nature, short walks or hikes, cities, beaches, animals and play grounds . We don't like theme parks and extremely busy sights. Furthermore with the kids rafting, bungee jumping, day hikes, etc is not possible
- What sites would you exclude with two young kids?
- I also included some detailed questions in the itinerary itself
We have the following in mind:
Victoria/ South Australia:
- Melbourne: 5 nights (including flight and jetlag management)
- Lakes District: 4 nights (including family visit)
- Ballarat: 3 nights (too much?)
- Great Ocean Road (4 nights)
- Mount Gambier (2 nights, I have been here before. Any nice altrrnatives in the area?
- Coorong National Park (2 nights)
- Kangaroo Island (3 nights, is this enough?)
- Adelaide (3 nights)
On this route I have about 4 days left so suggestions are welcome
NZ North Island
- Auckland (4 nights including flight from Adelaide)
- Bay of Islands (4 nights)
- Coromandel (4 nights, too much?)
- Rotorua (4 nights, too much?)
- Lake Taupo (3 nights)
- Tongariro np (3 nights, does this make sense when not dojng the Alpjne crossing)
- Napier (4 nights, too much?)
- Wellington (4 nights including one stop along the way)
For me this route makes good sense but I could make the route a bit larger with other interesting sites. Do you have suggsstions for this?
NZ South Island
- Marlborough Sounds (3 nights including boat from North Island)
- Nelson (3 nights including Abel Tasman NP)
- Kaikoura (2 nights)
- Arthurs Pass (3 nights)
- Westland National Park (3 nights, are the glaciers suitable for kids?)
- Wanaka (3 nights)
- Te Anau ( 3 nights)
- Catlins (3 nights)
- Dunedin (3 nights)
- Oamaru (1night)
- Christchurch (3 nights)
This route is probably too ambituous, Any suggestions what to skip?
Many thanks in advance for all your ideas!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 12 Days in S.I. NZ
- 2 Best Fiji Resort for Shore Snorkeling
- 3 Australia for two weeks.
- 4 Auckland to Wellington with Toddler
- 5 What To do In Australia?? Suggest Some Holiday Destination.
- 6 New Zealand-2 days in Rotorua with Toddler
- 7 Middlemarch to Queenstown transportation
- 8 Food to Try Out
- 9 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 10 30 Day Itinerary: Wellington & SI - Any suggestions?
- 11 New Zealand Dec-Jan 2017
- 12 Recommended guidebooks
- 13 South Island Road Trip
- 14 Surprises in Australia
- 15 South Island winter time-lapse video
- 16 Moonee Valley, Caulfield, or other track
- 17 Australia Visit in Feb'18
- 18 Air BnB, a bit of a let down
- 19 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 20 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 21 Fiji Resorts for 5 nights
- 22 What is the best time to visit Australia?
- 23 New Zealand with a toddler
- 24 Gariwerd - The Grampians
- 25 New Zealand- 4 days Auckland with 2 year old)