My wife and I, middle-aged couple, will be traveling to NZ in October for 17 days. We read most of the previous posts and considering our desires (we are keen on light cycling, hiking, kayaking activities. Also, sightseeing beautiful nature - beaches, mountains, lakes) and the short period we will have, we decided to skip East (Kaikoura, Christchurch and Dunedin) and West Coast (Glaciers) of SI. Also, Wellington region and Rotorua (NI). We are willing to enjoy more daytime than evening activities and plan to travel by plane inter-regions and by car intra-region. Our initial itinerary is:
* Six days on Fiordland region, staying four days somewhere Queenstown (or would be better Arrowtown or even Wanaka?) and two days in Te Anau (we are prone to try Doubtful day-cruise and on our second day, by car, to Milford only for enjoy the tracks/trails - no boat there). What do you think?
* One night in Lake Tekapo or Twizel or Mt Cook. It would be enough/worth?
* Four days in Nelson & Marlborough region exploring region (Abel Tasman NP, Sounds, wineries, culture of cities, crafts, etc.). Our plan is to choose one place and stay there all this period exploring the region. Sounds sufficient to explore the region?
* Three days on Hawke's bay (one for Taupo/one for Napier/one for Tongariro NP) staying, probably, in Napier.
* Two days in Bay of Islands/Northland (Paihia)
* One day in Auckland (Waiheke Island)
We are uncertain about the move from SI to NI (Napier or Bay of Islands).
We would love to hear your thoughts.
PS - We arrive/depart from Auckland.
Itinerary New Zealand trip - advice
- 1 Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine itinerary help
- 2 New Zealand South Island (mostly) Trip Report
- 3 Tasmanian West Coast
- 4 Sydney hotel
- 5 Melbourne Money Exchange
- 6 Cricket, diving and NZ - how long to fit it all in?
- 7 Australia Tour Operator Help
- 8 3 weeks in NZ self drive
- 9 Hotels in Australia
- 10 Hidden Gems in Melbourne
- 11 Help with 4 weeks on South Island!
- 12 Travel to NZ with a dog
- 13 6 hour wait at sydney for flight to brisbane. Any ideas to pass the time?
- 14 Australia 18 day trip advice
- 15 Sydney airport to Circular Quay least expensive option
- 16 BEWARE: Avoid Wicked Travel
- 17 Careful before booking any short-term accommodation on NSW Coast
- 18 Micronesia- when to visit
- 19 Seeking hike companion for Stewart Island (southernmost NZ)
- 20 Please Help my New Zealand 10 days trip Itinerary...
- 21 10 Days in NZ South Island - Feedback?
- 22 Help me plan my April - May trip to Australia
- 23 1st trip to New Zealand
- 24 Melbourne--in the summer is air conditioning a must ?
- 25 Hotel suggestions near Brisbane airport?