My wife and I, middle-aged couple, will be traveling to NZ in October for 17 days. We read most of the previous posts and considering our desires (we are keen on light cycling, hiking, kayaking activities. Also, sightseeing beautiful nature - beaches, mountains, lakes) and the short period we will have, we decided to skip East (Kaikoura, Christchurch and Dunedin) and West Coast (Glaciers) of SI. Also, Wellington region and Rotorua (NI). We are willing to enjoy more daytime than evening activities and plan to travel by plane inter-regions and by car intra-region. Our initial itinerary is:
* Six days on Fiordland region, staying four days somewhere Queenstown (or would be better Arrowtown or even Wanaka?) and two days in Te Anau (we are prone to try Doubtful day-cruise and on our second day, by car, to Milford only for enjoy the tracks/trails - no boat there). What do you think?
* One night in Lake Tekapo or Twizel or Mt Cook. It would be enough/worth?
* Four days in Nelson & Marlborough region exploring region (Abel Tasman NP, Sounds, wineries, culture of cities, crafts, etc.). Our plan is to choose one place and stay there all this period exploring the region. Sounds sufficient to explore the region?
* Three days on Hawke's bay (one for Taupo/one for Napier/one for Tongariro NP) staying, probably, in Napier.
* Two days in Bay of Islands/Northland (Paihia)
* One day in Auckland (Waiheke Island)
We are uncertain about the move from SI to NI (Napier or Bay of Islands).
We would love to hear your thoughts.
PS - We arrive/depart from Auckland.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 NZ S Island itinerary help please!
- 2 Australia/New Zealand 3 weeks
- 3 New Zeaaland
- 4 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 5 Question on Driving from Sydney to Blue Mts
- 6 9.5 days in New Zealand
- 7 Stopover Toronto- Perth
- 8 Bay of Islands vs Marlborough Sound
- 9 Tasmania Itinerary
- 10 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015
- 11 Scuba trip Great Barrier Reef
- 12 January-March When to visit NZ
- 13 Hikes in New Zealand
- 14 New Zealand Itinerary Help
- 15 Tiger Air and Baggage Fees
- 16 Nervous American driving in AU
- 17 Domestic flights in Australia? when?
- 18 Milford Sound day trip sounds like too long a day!
- 19 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 20 HELP! New Zealand 2weeks July with baby (and pregnant)
- 21 New Zealand on our own?
- 22 2nd year visa extentiom
- 23 Sydney places to stay
- 24 Sydney in March
- 25 Help, 24 hours in Tassie to fill!!