My wife and I, middle-aged couple, will be traveling to NZ in October for 17 days. We read most of the previous posts and considering our desires (we are keen on light cycling, hiking, kayaking activities. Also, sightseeing beautiful nature - beaches, mountains, lakes) and the short period we will have, we decided to skip East (Kaikoura, Christchurch and Dunedin) and West Coast (Glaciers) of SI. Also, Wellington region and Rotorua (NI). We are willing to enjoy more daytime than evening activities and plan to travel by plane inter-regions and by car intra-region. Our initial itinerary is:
* Six days on Fiordland region, staying four days somewhere Queenstown (or would be better Arrowtown or even Wanaka?) and two days in Te Anau (we are prone to try Doubtful day-cruise and on our second day, by car, to Milford only for enjoy the tracks/trails - no boat there). What do you think?
* One night in Lake Tekapo or Twizel or Mt Cook. It would be enough/worth?
* Four days in Nelson & Marlborough region exploring region (Abel Tasman NP, Sounds, wineries, culture of cities, crafts, etc.). Our plan is to choose one place and stay there all this period exploring the region. Sounds sufficient to explore the region?
* Three days on Hawke's bay (one for Taupo/one for Napier/one for Tongariro NP) staying, probably, in Napier.
* Two days in Bay of Islands/Northland (Paihia)
* One day in Auckland (Waiheke Island)
We are uncertain about the move from SI to NI (Napier or Bay of Islands).
We would love to hear your thoughts.
PS - We arrive/depart from Auckland.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 2 Choosing Tasmania or Perth/ Margaret River
- 3 a month in Australia help please
- 4 AUSTRALIA
- 5 Winter tragedy on the Routeburn Track (NZ)
- 6 Help me choose among these Sydney hotels, please
- 7 Few days in NZ, what to do
- 8 3 1/2 weeks in New Zealand
- 9 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 10 Awesome NewZealand Trip in Winter 2016
- 11 Help us extend our Dec. Heron Island Tip
- 12 Planning an Australia trip, not sure where to begin
- 13 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 14 New Zealand and/or Australia - Nature sites, day bus tours?
- 15 6 Days South Island Help
- 16 Zipping through New Zealand with a Fiji Finish
- 17 2 days in Auckland. what to do
- 18 Visiting New Zealand/Australia in April
- 19 Connection Time at Sydney Airport
- 20 Choose a destiation - Oceania Island(s) for 10 day trip
- 21 Cairns/Port Douglas from Sydney
- 22 Snorkeling in Whitsundays
- 23 New Zealand Itinerary
- 24 Dining
- 25 Where to tay in Apt in Melbourne