I need help with my itinerary for a full five day return trip from Queenstown. The flights from/to Auckland from Queenstown were already booked through Jetstar before I realized that leaving from Christchurch would have been better. Unfortunately the flight can not be modified.
Having said the above, I know we have to double back somewhere. There will be just two of us arriving at Queenstown at 11am and our flight leaving Queenstown at 4pm from the 21st of September to 26th of September.
At first I was thinking of doing the following:
21-drive to Wanaka, explore and stay at Wanaka
22-drive to Franz josef, stay at Franz Josef
23-explore Franz Josef take heli hike, stay at Franz Josef
24-drive back to Queenstown
25-fly cruise fly to Milford Sound
26-explore Queenstown and depart
The fly cruise fly might be too expensive for my friend as well as the heli hike. Which one would be best to do if we had to pick just one? Probably fly cruise fly since it is less likely to get canceled?
I know cost is really important to my friend so a result I started thinking about an alternative itinerary:
21-drive to Te Anau, stay at Te Anau
22-drive to Milford Sound and take a cruise, stay at Milford Sound
23-drive to Queenstown, stay at Queenstown
24-drive to Dunedin, stay at Dunedin
25 explore area, drive to Queenstown stay at Queenstown
Or maybe drive to Lake Wanaka and explore surrounding areas instead on the 24-25th
I know that because we have to leave from Queenstown we are limited in our options. What is the best we can do with our options? I'm up for any suggestions and changes. Expensive and not so expensive options. I also read it's better not to drive to Milford Sound due to avalanches and that it would be better to take the bus?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Pulling my hair right now
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 South Australia Help with Itinerary
- 2 5 days in South Island
- 3 Great Barrier Reef - Non Swimmers
- 4 Brisbane to Sydney
- 5 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 6 Vini SIM card?
- 7 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 8 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 9 New Zealand Itinerary
- 10 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 11 NZ visa denials
- 12 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 13 Help on Itinerary
- 14 Sydney Trip
- 15 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 16 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 17 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 18 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 19 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 20 Extra 2 nights = help
- 21 February Australia Visit
- 22 Best wildlife near sydney
- 23 Where to go in Australia
- 24 Bruny Island
- 25 Western Australia