After graduating from college in May I am planning to travel for several months (I have a hard-stop in mid-October when my job begins, but other than that have an open timeline). I have put together the following rough itinerary, and would love to hear your thoughts and any pearls of wisdom you may be willing to provide. I am especially interested in both recommended places to visit within the countries I have listed, and whether you would suggest any modifications to this itinerary (i.e. if you think I should spend less time in one spot and more time in another). I also realize that one could likely spend several months in any of the locations I am attempting to visit in just 1-2 weeks so please bare than in mind.
For reference, I am a 22 y/o relatively athletic male. I am also an avid scuba diver.
July 18 – July 23 (~ 5days): I will fly from Papeete to Noumea, New Caledonia where I will spend approximately 5 days.
July 23 – August 3 (~11 days): I will fly from New Caledonia to Vanuatu where I will spend approximately 11 days
August 3 – August 12 (~9 days): I will fly from Vanuatu to Honiara, Solomon Islands where I will spend approx. 9 days.
August 12: I will fly to Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea.
In PNG I will spend 2 days diving in Milne Bay, then fly to Mt. Hagen to see the Cultural Show on the 16th and 17th. From there I will catch a PMV to Kundiawa and then on to Kegsugl where I will hire a guide to climb Mt. Wilhelm.
From there I will find a ride to Madang and then either fly or take a boat to Wewak. I hope to then spend ~5 days going up the Sepik. Then I will fly to Rabaul and spend a few days there scuba diving.
After approximately 2.5-3 weeks in PNG I will fly to Bali and spend another 2-3 weeks traveling around Indonesia. Finally I will fly to Palau where I will dive for a week.
I am also considering whether to include Malaysia either in addition or instead of Indonesia. Again any thoughts and advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Fri, Jul 18 -- Wed, Jul 23 ~ 5 days Papeete -- Noumea, New Cal (AirCalin-Friday only)
Wed, Jul 23 -- Sun, Aug 3 ~ 11 days Noumea, New Cal -- Port Vila, Vanuatu
Sun, Aug 3 -- Tue, Aug 12 ~ 9 days Port Vila, Vanuatu -- Honiara, Solomons
Tue, Aug 12 Honiara, Solomons -- Port Moresby, Papau New Guinea
Wed, Aug 13 -- Fri, Aug 15 Port Moresby -- Alotau (Milne Bay)
Fri, Aug 15 Alotau -- Port Moresby
Fri, Aug 15 Port Moresby -- Mt. Hagen
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Free Camping
- 2 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 3 Kaikoura roads update
- 4 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 5 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 6 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 7 Clever, mischievous keas
- 8 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 9 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 10 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 11 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 12 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 13 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 14 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 15 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 16 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 17 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 18 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas
- 19 14 Day RV from Christchurch
- 20 Whales spotted off Kaikoura first time since quake
- 21 Translation of documents
- 22 SH1 to Kaikoura update
- 23 10 days NZ-crusie or land??
- 24 Cooking classes near Melbourne
- 25 Sunshine coast or gold coast in February
Itinerary Help: New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Solomons, PNG, Indonesia