I went to Heron Island for 6 days. At the right time, you can witness turtles come on shore to lay eggs, the small hatchlings leave the nest, witness multitude of nesting Noddy Terns, get woken up during the night from the hooting of nesting mutton birds, snorkel on the fringing reef from outside your bungalow and go scuba diving on the reef. But to be there at the right time requires some planning. To this end I have written an illustrated report including maps at http://www.artphototravel.net/the-pacific/heron-island-australia/
Heron Island, best time
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 2 South and North New Zealand in three weeks
- 3 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 4 Ghan, Indian Pacific trains -- reserve ASAP
- 5 Sydney on New Years Eve: Worth It?
- 6 Best Car rental company to use--Australia & New Zealand
- 7 Is French really spoken in Tahiti?
- 8 Adelaide and Kangaroo Island
- 9 Cairns Activities & Excursions for 4 Days
- 10 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 11 Accommodation Brisbane
- 12 Accommodation Brisbane
- 13 Happy Australia Day!
- 14 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June
- 15 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 16 Tim Tam
- 17 Tipping
- 18 Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?
- 19 Transit Time at SYD
- 20 Where to visit outside Melbourne for several days?
- 21 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 22 Where to stay near Melbourne
- 23 Car rentals south island
- 24 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 25 Brisbane, need short term accommodation