My husband and I are planning our first trip to New Zealand! Our plan is to go in January and we are interested in seeing the gorgeous countryside. Originally we considered a cruise, but decided we wanted to see the inland countryside more so than the coast and honestly I don't think cruising is the best way to really experience a new place anyway.
We live in the US and have mainly traveled to Europe. We don't like to rush - I'd rather really get to know a place then to run from one place to the next in a blur. We have driven in foreign countries, but never on the opposite side of the road so I am a little apprehensive of that, but we're adventurous and we're up for the challenge.
I am in a small, manual wheelchair so the beach doesn't really appeal to us - just too difficult to deal with. Also this would mean any type of hiking or "crazy" terrain (rocky, gravel, sand, mud) is out. I know I need to do a lot of my own research, but if you had 2 weeks to spend in NZ what places would you absolutely not want to miss (based on the few bits of info I've shared)? Any suggestions on towns to use as a base?
Thanks so much!
Help with an itinerary for the South Island of NZ
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Paging Cathies
- 2 Dare I Plan? Melbourne - Sydney - Auckland
- 3 Avoid Europcar car rental
- 4 The Rainbow Coast, Western Australia photos
- 5 Trip itinerary-Sydney Melbourne Tasmania
- 6 Please critique my plan for 2 weeks in Australia (first trip)
- 7 Victoria to Uluru - Trip Report
- 8 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 9 One day in Fiji
- 10 Kangaroo island
- 11 Looking for feedback on four week itinerary
- 12 Leaving on a jet plane....
- 13 Itinerary 20 days
- 14 Queenstown to Nelson Itinerary Question
- 15 Recommendations for kids travel book?
- 16 Rent or buy campervan
- 17 Great Ocean Road Itinerary
- 18 Melbourne Tram riders and visitors
- 19 Melbourne Itinery - GOR/Mornington/Philips Island
- 20 South Island NZ: First 2 weeks of November
- 21 Cell phone providers
- 22 I've read the posts and still either want to cry or drink! Help
- 23 GBR - Where to base our 3 1/2 day visit
- 24 Craig and Jeane Visit Sydney and the Blue Mountains - September 2014
- 25 New Zealand - 12 Nights Trip