My husband and I are planning our first trip to New Zealand! Our plan is to go in January and we are interested in seeing the gorgeous countryside. Originally we considered a cruise, but decided we wanted to see the inland countryside more so than the coast and honestly I don't think cruising is the best way to really experience a new place anyway.
We live in the US and have mainly traveled to Europe. We don't like to rush - I'd rather really get to know a place then to run from one place to the next in a blur. We have driven in foreign countries, but never on the opposite side of the road so I am a little apprehensive of that, but we're adventurous and we're up for the challenge.
I am in a small, manual wheelchair so the beach doesn't really appeal to us - just too difficult to deal with. Also this would mean any type of hiking or "crazy" terrain (rocky, gravel, sand, mud) is out. I know I need to do a lot of my own research, but if you had 2 weeks to spend in NZ what places would you absolutely not want to miss (based on the few bits of info I've shared)? Any suggestions on towns to use as a base?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Itinerary questions on dream holiday
- 2 Real estate question
- 3 Moonee Valley, Caulfield, or other track
- 4 Food to Try Out
- 5 Whale Watching - Port Stephens NSW vs. Hervey Bay QLD
- 6 Queenstown-Mt Cook road
- 7 New Zealand- 4 days Auckland with 2 year old)
- 8 7 night NZ, south island for active couple
- 9 Wainui Falls
- 10 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 11 Sydney Neighborhood for Nightlight and Sightseeing
- 12 Come join me on Rapa Nui, or Easter Island...
- 13 Gariwerd - The Grampians
- 14 More authentic experience of Maori culture
- 15 Day trips from Wellington
- 16 2-week NZ Itinerary Questions
- 17 Agrodome Farm Tour
- 18 Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?
- 19 Please help create an itinerary in NZ's SI
- 20 3 days on North Island, NZ
- 21 Australia Visit in Feb'18
- 22 Kayak or cruise Milford Sound?
- 23 New Zealand with teenagers
- 24 Western Australia + Where?
- 25 Family Budget Vacation