My husband and I are planning our first trip to New Zealand! Our plan is to go in January and we are interested in seeing the gorgeous countryside. Originally we considered a cruise, but decided we wanted to see the inland countryside more so than the coast and honestly I don't think cruising is the best way to really experience a new place anyway.
We live in the US and have mainly traveled to Europe. We don't like to rush - I'd rather really get to know a place then to run from one place to the next in a blur. We have driven in foreign countries, but never on the opposite side of the road so I am a little apprehensive of that, but we're adventurous and we're up for the challenge.
I am in a small, manual wheelchair so the beach doesn't really appeal to us - just too difficult to deal with. Also this would mean any type of hiking or "crazy" terrain (rocky, gravel, sand, mud) is out. I know I need to do a lot of my own research, but if you had 2 weeks to spend in NZ what places would you absolutely not want to miss (based on the few bits of info I've shared)? Any suggestions on towns to use as a base?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand 12 Days Aug-Sept
- 2 Seeking StopOver Ideas for US to Australia Trip
- 3 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 4 some questions about upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand
- 5 Where best to pickup rental car in Sydney to travel to the Blue Mountains?
- 6 Drive from Nelson or Christchurch to Queenstown during winter
- 7 Tasmania
- 8 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 9 2016 Rugby internationals - anyone watching?
- 10 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 11 NZ expects 4.5 million tourists per year by 2022
- 12 Help for 6 days based in Queenstown
- 13 Accommodations Brisbane
- 14 Skiing in Australia in July?
- 15 Australia 2017 - Oz Winter or Spring Honeymoon?
- 16 Cairns to Sydney early 2017
- 17 Repositioning cruise
- 18 18 days nz.
- 19 South Island over December-January Holidays
- 20 Australia/New Zealand 3 weeks
- 21 New Zealand - South Island 8 days
- 22 New Zealand ~3 weeks, nature oriented tour?
- 23 Help finding affordable aprking
- 24 NZ Air Sky Couch Seats
- 25 9 days itinerary from Aukland to Queentown