My wife and I are at the preliminary planning stages of a trip to New Zealand. Depending on time we may visit Australia also, but New Zealand is the priority. We will be traveling from New York and are thinking of a stop over for a night in each direction in Los Angeles just to break up the flying a little.
Our initial thoughts were to go either in October or April. So the first question is, assuming we visit during a shoulder season, what time period would likely provide the best weather?
The second question may be more difficult. How much time would we need to have a reasonably relaxed vacation to see the highlights, do some hiking, etc.? I realize we could spend months and more time is always preferred, but is two weeks reasonable? If we wanted to add Australia, would we need an additional couple of weeks or would 3 weeks total be OK? And if we had only 3 weeks, would we be better off spending it all in New Zealand rather than trying to squeeze a little time in in Australia also? Because we will be traveling such a long distance, It would be a shame not to see both areas, but depending on the amount of time I have available, I would rather have a nice vacation than try to see everything and wind up feeling rushed and needing a vacation from my vacation .
First visit to New Zealand and (possibly) Australia
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Great food/local favorites
- 2 South Island - 8 days in February
- 3 Australian Aborigines
- 4 Great food/local favorites
- 5 New Zealand (South Island) 10 Day Itinerary - Need Advice Please
- 6 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 7 Sydney
- 8 Incredible hotel
- 9 Good places to stay for 2015 AFC Asian Cup
- 10 Sydney - Melbourne 2 night / 3 day Road Trip
- 11 australia new zealand trip advice
- 12 New Zealand trip -itinerary help please
- 13 Milford Sound Cruise
- 14 14 day South Island Self drive
- 15 Do Great Ocean Road or head to New Zealand?
- 16 Cruise New Zealand
- 17 Help with Australia/ New Zealand plan!
- 18 Need Packing Advice for Sydney and New Zealand in January
- 19 New Zealand Accommodations
- 20 16 days all over New Zealand
- 21 New Zealand Accommodation Recommendations Needed
- 22 Optimum time to visit both New Zealand and Australia
- 23 Land Portion of our Cruise Tour of Australia and New Zealand
- 24 Songdoc's 5th Trip to Gorgeous New Zealand: A Trip Report
- 25 New Zealand itinerary help