My wife and I are at the preliminary planning stages of a trip to New Zealand. Depending on time we may visit Australia also, but New Zealand is the priority. We will be traveling from New York and are thinking of a stop over for a night in each direction in Los Angeles just to break up the flying a little.
Our initial thoughts were to go either in October or April. So the first question is, assuming we visit during a shoulder season, what time period would likely provide the best weather?
The second question may be more difficult. How much time would we need to have a reasonably relaxed vacation to see the highlights, do some hiking, etc.? I realize we could spend months and more time is always preferred, but is two weeks reasonable? If we wanted to add Australia, would we need an additional couple of weeks or would 3 weeks total be OK? And if we had only 3 weeks, would we be better off spending it all in New Zealand rather than trying to squeeze a little time in in Australia also? Because we will be traveling such a long distance, It would be a shame not to see both areas, but depending on the amount of time I have available, I would rather have a nice vacation than try to see everything and wind up feeling rushed and needing a vacation from my vacation .
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Is it Worth a Detour to Ballarat before GOR Drive
- 2 Cairns to Sydney early 2017
- 3 help on NZ trip itinerary, what to keep what to skip
- 4 Apex car rental in Australia
- 5 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 6 10 days in North Island in July - Auckland then 6 days on the road
- 7 8 Full Days South Island: Itinerary Advise
- 8 New Zealand North Island Logistics
- 9 Seeking StopOver Ideas for US to Australia Trip
- 10 some questions about upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand
- 11 A family trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains
- 12 Drive from Nelson or Christchurch to Queenstown during winter
- 13 6 1/2 weeks Australia and New Zealand
- 14 Stay near to Melbourne airport / city?
- 15 Where best to pickup rental car in Sydney to travel to the Blue Mountains?
- 16 New Zealand 12 Days Aug-Sept
- 17 2016 Rugby internationals - anyone watching?
- 18 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 19 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 20 Tasmania
- 21 NZ expects 4.5 million tourists per year by 2022
- 22 Help for 6 days based in Queenstown
- 23 Accommodations Brisbane
- 24 Skiing in Australia in July?
- 25 Australia 2017 - Oz Winter or Spring Honeymoon?