My wife and I are at the preliminary planning stages of a trip to New Zealand. Depending on time we may visit Australia also, but New Zealand is the priority. We will be traveling from New York and are thinking of a stop over for a night in each direction in Los Angeles just to break up the flying a little.
Our initial thoughts were to go either in October or April. So the first question is, assuming we visit during a shoulder season, what time period would likely provide the best weather?
The second question may be more difficult. How much time would we need to have a reasonably relaxed vacation to see the highlights, do some hiking, etc.? I realize we could spend months and more time is always preferred, but is two weeks reasonable? If we wanted to add Australia, would we need an additional couple of weeks or would 3 weeks total be OK? And if we had only 3 weeks, would we be better off spending it all in New Zealand rather than trying to squeeze a little time in in Australia also? Because we will be traveling such a long distance, It would be a shame not to see both areas, but depending on the amount of time I have available, I would rather have a nice vacation than try to see everything and wind up feeling rushed and needing a vacation from my vacation .
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Opinions, pls. AU itin - Take 2
- 2 Hire car in Melbourne
- 3 Help with Australia Itinerary
- 4 Help finding affordable aprking
- 5 NZ in December with 2 kids 9 and 7
- 6 18 days nz.
- 7 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 8 9 days itinerary south and north NZ
- 9 North Island itinerary - does this work?
- 10 Tongariro NP hikes - advise please!
- 11 Present Host Parents
- 12 Six Days in New Zealand South Island
- 13 Broad Intin for Australia
- 14 New Zealand itinerary advice please
- 15 Fraser Island or Coffs harbour
- 16 Australia help
- 17 New Zealand itinerary advice please
- 18 Which company is better? if we would like to buy a SIM card
- 19 Milford Track vs Jomalhari trek in Bhutan
- 20 Ferry between islands
- 21 A Short Stay in Adelaide City
- 22 28 days to campervan around australia
- 23 9.5 days in New Zealand
- 24 hotel options in Melbourne
- 25 Where can I rent a pocket wifi in NZ?