I'm looking for suggestions for my first trip to NZ, Dec 2014/ Jan 2015. I'll be going during peak season, I wish I could go during a quieter time but schedules won't allow it.
My travel companion and I will be arriving in Aukland and leaving from Christchurch, so we plan to see both islands. I've read that most people have rented a car separately on each island and ferried across, but we're open to flights if this will save us time.
We are both looking for a nature-centered trip, ie neither of us is too keen on spending a lot of time in the cities, nor the wine country (sorry but we have plenty of that back home). Ideally we'd like to explore some quiet beaches on the north island and do some backpacking in the south.
Given time constraints and overall peak tourist levels, thoughts on the following?
I'm between the Milford Track and the Routeburn Track in the south... and is booking this doable given the time frame?
I'd really love to incorporate both a kayak trip in Whanganui and the Tongariro crossing in the north...
Any suggestions on quiet beaches?
What are the restrictions on bringing our own camping gear from home? I heard gear has to clear inspections upon arrival? Is that an iffy prospect? Would we be better off renting gear in NZ?
Thanks all for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 How to split up Australia?
- 2 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 3 Self Drive Tour Itinerary - Safety, Convenience, Activities, Itinerary HELP
- 4 Brisbane to Sydney
- 5 Wellington Airport to hotel
- 6 East Coast Australia
- 7 Six Weeks Down Under
- 8 North and South Island of NZ
- 9 Clearing Kaikoura to Picton road
- 10 Romantic 10 nights Fiji - Oct 2017
- 11 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 12 Marlborough Sounds
- 13 Blue mountain in July
- 14 More pilot whales to strand at NZ's Farewell Spit
- 15 Tonga January Weather
- 16 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015
- 17 1 Month Hiking in New Zealand
- 18 Scenary around Winton QLD
- 19 Alesund - Geiranger
- 20 Drive from Melbourne to Sydney
- 21 australia for first time
- 22 August Honeymoon Help?
- 23 Auckland restaurants and brewpubs?
- 24 Best way to exchange US dollars for Australian and NZ dollars
- 25 South Island - 8 days