I'm looking for suggestions for my first trip to NZ, Dec 2014/ Jan 2015. I'll be going during peak season, I wish I could go during a quieter time but schedules won't allow it.
My travel companion and I will be arriving in Aukland and leaving from Christchurch, so we plan to see both islands. I've read that most people have rented a car separately on each island and ferried across, but we're open to flights if this will save us time.
We are both looking for a nature-centered trip, ie neither of us is too keen on spending a lot of time in the cities, nor the wine country (sorry but we have plenty of that back home). Ideally we'd like to explore some quiet beaches on the north island and do some backpacking in the south.
Given time constraints and overall peak tourist levels, thoughts on the following?
I'm between the Milford Track and the Routeburn Track in the south... and is booking this doable given the time frame?
I'd really love to incorporate both a kayak trip in Whanganui and the Tongariro crossing in the north...
Any suggestions on quiet beaches?
What are the restrictions on bringing our own camping gear from home? I heard gear has to clear inspections upon arrival? Is that an iffy prospect? Would we be better off renting gear in NZ?
Thanks all for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 http://helix6garciniareview.com/dyna-cleanse/
- 2 MSBI Online Training and Job Support offer
- 3 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 4 Advice on Rome/Tuscany/Amalfi Itinerary
- 5 Is it Worth a Detour to Ballarat before GOR Drive
- 6 Cairns to Sydney early 2017
- 7 help on NZ trip itinerary, what to keep what to skip
- 8 Apex car rental in Australia
- 9 10 days in North Island in July - Auckland then 6 days on the road
- 10 8 Full Days South Island: Itinerary Advise
- 11 New Zealand North Island Logistics
- 12 Seeking StopOver Ideas for US to Australia Trip
- 13 some questions about upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand
- 14 A family trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains
- 15 Drive from Nelson or Christchurch to Queenstown during winter
- 16 6 1/2 weeks Australia and New Zealand
- 17 Stay near to Melbourne airport / city?
- 18 Where best to pickup rental car in Sydney to travel to the Blue Mountains?
- 19 New Zealand 12 Days Aug-Sept
- 20 2016 Rugby internationals - anyone watching?
- 21 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 22 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 23 Tasmania
- 24 NZ expects 4.5 million tourists per year by 2022
- 25 Help for 6 days based in Queenstown