I'm looking for suggestions for my first trip to NZ, Dec 2014/ Jan 2015. I'll be going during peak season, I wish I could go during a quieter time but schedules won't allow it.
My travel companion and I will be arriving in Aukland and leaving from Christchurch, so we plan to see both islands. I've read that most people have rented a car separately on each island and ferried across, but we're open to flights if this will save us time.
We are both looking for a nature-centered trip, ie neither of us is too keen on spending a lot of time in the cities, nor the wine country (sorry but we have plenty of that back home). Ideally we'd like to explore some quiet beaches on the north island and do some backpacking in the south.
Given time constraints and overall peak tourist levels, thoughts on the following?
I'm between the Milford Track and the Routeburn Track in the south... and is booking this doable given the time frame?
I'd really love to incorporate both a kayak trip in Whanganui and the Tongariro crossing in the north...
Any suggestions on quiet beaches?
What are the restrictions on bringing our own camping gear from home? I heard gear has to clear inspections upon arrival? Is that an iffy prospect? Would we be better off renting gear in NZ?
Thanks all for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Auto Rental - Excess Insurance
- 2 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 3 Awesome NewZealand Trip in Winter 2016
- 4 Few days in NZ, what to do
- 5 NSW drive holiday in January
- 6 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 7 3 1/2 weeks in New Zealand
- 8 Choosing Tasmania or Perth/ Margaret River
- 9 a month in Australia help please
- 10 AUSTRALIA
- 11 Winter tragedy on the Routeburn Track (NZ)
- 12 Help me choose among these Sydney hotels, please
- 13 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 14 Help us extend our Dec. Heron Island Tip
- 15 Planning an Australia trip, not sure where to begin
- 16 New Zealand and/or Australia - Nature sites, day bus tours?
- 17 6 Days South Island Help
- 18 Zipping through New Zealand with a Fiji Finish
- 19 2 days in Auckland. what to do
- 20 Visiting New Zealand/Australia in April
- 21 Connection Time at Sydney Airport
- 22 Choose a destiation - Oceania Island(s) for 10 day trip
- 23 Cairns/Port Douglas from Sydney
- 24 Snorkeling in Whitsundays
- 25 New Zealand Itinerary