We had originally planned to stay in Punakaiki and drive from Abel Tasman to Punakaiki in one day so as to leave ourselves enough time to enjoy the journey. But at this point the only good accommodation I found for our travel date is near Hokitika. Would it be too rushed if we made an early start? We do want to make stops at must-see places along the way (suggestions welcome). So far I have Buller Gorge, Cape Foulwind and Punakaiki.
The next day we drive to Franz Josef. If we do stay in Hokitika, are there any scenic drives we must do before we start off? I imagine we could leave around 2 pm and still make Franz Josef by about 6. I have read about the gorge and Lake Mahinapua, Okarito or even driving up to Arthur's Pass and back. Which would be the best for our first time on the South Island?
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 1 day scenic tour from Gold coast
- 2 Need help on planning 14-15 days trip to Australia
- 3 Help with New Zealand Itinerary
- 4 Australia and New Zealand Oct/Nov 2017
- 5 Mucky, Smchrissy, Margo, Alan -I've lost the New Years Eve thread
- 6 Is this a good time to talk about the Lions' tour?
- 7 Bali, Fiji, Bora Bora, Maldives? Which is better?
- 8 help with intinerary please!
- 9 Early Planning to the South Pacific
- 10 Ahe to Manihi or v.v.
- 11 early planning for NZ South Island trip - please provide feedback
- 12 Quaint
- 13 Milford Sound Coach/Cruise/Fly Options
- 14 North and South Island itinerary feedback
- 15 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 16 Western Australia + Where?
- 17 Family trip report: Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea
- 18 Port Douglas/Cairns
- 19 Planning a 12-day trip to NZ in November
- 20 7-8 days in Australia, where do we go?
- 21 A few days in Darwin
- 22 Air Tahiti Baggage Allowance
- 23 Hiking, cycling, and kayaking on the South Island
- 24 Ride sharing Service
- 25 Our Three weeks in Australia and PNG