We had originally planned to stay in Punakaiki and drive from Abel Tasman to Punakaiki in one day so as to leave ourselves enough time to enjoy the journey. But at this point the only good accommodation I found for our travel date is near Hokitika. Would it be too rushed if we made an early start? We do want to make stops at must-see places along the way (suggestions welcome). So far I have Buller Gorge, Cape Foulwind and Punakaiki.
The next day we drive to Franz Josef. If we do stay in Hokitika, are there any scenic drives we must do before we start off? I imagine we could leave around 2 pm and still make Franz Josef by about 6. I have read about the gorge and Lake Mahinapua, Okarito or even driving up to Arthur's Pass and back. Which would be the best for our first time on the South Island?
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 2 Free Camping
- 3 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 4 Kaikoura roads update
- 5 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 6 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 7 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 8 Clever, mischievous keas
- 9 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 10 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 11 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 12 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 13 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 14 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 15 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 16 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 17 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 18 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas
- 19 14 Day RV from Christchurch
- 20 Whales spotted off Kaikoura first time since quake
- 21 Translation of documents
- 22 SH1 to Kaikoura update
- 23 10 days NZ-crusie or land??
- 24 Cooking classes near Melbourne
- 25 Sunshine coast or gold coast in February