We had originally planned to stay in Punakaiki and drive from Abel Tasman to Punakaiki in one day so as to leave ourselves enough time to enjoy the journey. But at this point the only good accommodation I found for our travel date is near Hokitika. Would it be too rushed if we made an early start? We do want to make stops at must-see places along the way (suggestions welcome). So far I have Buller Gorge, Cape Foulwind and Punakaiki.
The next day we drive to Franz Josef. If we do stay in Hokitika, are there any scenic drives we must do before we start off? I imagine we could leave around 2 pm and still make Franz Josef by about 6. I have read about the gorge and Lake Mahinapua, Okarito or even driving up to Arthur's Pass and back. Which would be the best for our first time on the South Island?
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Great Barrier Reef - Non Swimmers
- 2 5 days in South Island
- 3 South Australia Help with Itinerary
- 4 Brisbane to Sydney
- 5 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 6 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 7 New Zealand Itinerary
- 8 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 9 NZ visa denials
- 10 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 11 Help on Itinerary
- 12 Sydney Trip
- 13 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 14 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 15 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 16 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 17 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 18 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 19 Extra 2 nights = help
- 20 February Australia Visit
- 21 Best wildlife near sydney
- 22 Where to go in Australia
- 23 Bruny Island
- 24 Western Australia
- 25 South Island - West Coast Itinerary