I am planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand for next January 16-February 5th. My husband and I are currently flying to Brisbane and plan to go to Heron Island for first three days. Then we are going to Melbourne for a couple days of the Australian Open. We are trying to decide if we want to spend two more days driving the Great Ocean Road or head on to New Zealand to rent a car and explore there. Will the GOR be jammed with tourists about the 24th of January? Is the scenery less spectacular on the GOR and should we just cover more of New Zealand? I've had several people tell me to skip the GOR and just go on to NZ, saying it is that much more spectacular. Would appreciate input from those who have done both.
Do Great Ocean Road or head to New Zealand?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Dare I Plan? Melbourne - Sydney - Auckland
- 2 Initial Planning for NZ trip
- 3 Melbourne Itinery - GOR/Mornington/Philips Island
- 4 Best phone to use in US and Canada
- 5 Tasmania Itinerary Question
- 6 My gap year is adventure
- 7 Sydney
- 8 Craig and Jeane Visit Sydney and the Blue Mountains - September 2014
- 9 Globus
- 10 So much good wine, so little time; South Australia's Limestone Coast
- 11 Melbourne, Adelaide, Tasmania in which order?
- 12 Queenstown to Christchurch - Car Hire (P plates)
- 13 A Quick trip to NSW's Central West - an old brown dog, a grapefruit & a
- 14 Blue Mountains Australia
- 15 NEW ZEALAND
- 16 Byron Bay Surf Festival
- 17 New Zealand Marlborough wine country tour
- 18 Canberra Weekend - Art, Table 11 at the Pork Barrel Cafe & 'roo at the Ruby
- 19 Penguins in Bicheno or Phillip Island?
- 20 dinner cruise in sydney harbor
- 21 Queenstown to Nelson Itinerary Question
- 22 Sydney-which pass to buy?
- 23 Honeymooning in Australia and NZ
- 24 Itinerary Planning
- 25 New Zealand South Island Itinerary