I am planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand for next January 16-February 5th. My husband and I are currently flying to Brisbane and plan to go to Heron Island for first three days. Then we are going to Melbourne for a couple days of the Australian Open. We are trying to decide if we want to spend two more days driving the Great Ocean Road or head on to New Zealand to rent a car and explore there. Will the GOR be jammed with tourists about the 24th of January? Is the scenery less spectacular on the GOR and should we just cover more of New Zealand? I've had several people tell me to skip the GOR and just go on to NZ, saying it is that much more spectacular. Would appreciate input from those who have done both.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Dec trip - Itinerary planning help and recommendations
- 2 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary - Sydney & New Zealand (South Island)
- 3 Australia Itinerary Help In July/August
- 4 New Zealand/Fiji/Tahiti/Australia oh my
- 5 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 6 Physically Disabled Solo Traveler in Sydney, Cairns
- 7 Final leg of trip: SI to NI
- 8 Australia Trip Report: Hayman Island/SCUBA/GBR (part 5)
- 9 New Zealand Trip: Late September/South Island/10 days.
- 10 Need help on 2 week itinerary - North Island, winter, with kids (5, 7, 10)
- 11 Help a North American understand winter in New Zealand
- 12 Dining Solo in Australia's capital cities?
- 13 Sydney - inner west & eastern suburbs - local gems
- 14 DIY Sydney surroundings
- 15 Pre cruise Sydney hotel recommendations
- 16 Wineglass Bay Cruise V Peppermint Bay Cruise
- 17 A week in Brisbane/Sunshine coast, sightseeing suggestions needed.
- 18 Itinerary help Australia & New Zealand
- 19 Auf Wiedersehen Australia
- 20 Worth giving up a day in Wanaka?
- 21 5 days in Tasmania--help needed
- 22 Car hire in NZ
- 23 Help needed--GBR, Daintree, Mossman, Atherton
- 24 Hobbiton Movie Set Tour Question
- 25 If you had 2 months for NZ and Australia