I am planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand for next January 16-February 5th. My husband and I are currently flying to Brisbane and plan to go to Heron Island for first three days. Then we are going to Melbourne for a couple days of the Australian Open. We are trying to decide if we want to spend two more days driving the Great Ocean Road or head on to New Zealand to rent a car and explore there. Will the GOR be jammed with tourists about the 24th of January? Is the scenery less spectacular on the GOR and should we just cover more of New Zealand? I've had several people tell me to skip the GOR and just go on to NZ, saying it is that much more spectacular. Would appreciate input from those who have done both.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Cairns airfare getting too high
- 2 Driving direction on the Great Ocean Road
- 3 First Time - Assistance with NZ- South
- 4 CFP: how much to bring, ATMs?
- 5 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 6 Six Weeks Down Under
- 7 Flood Emergency Services
- 8 7 days in New Zealand
- 9 Hamilton Island
- 10 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 11 Mt Buller for 1 night in July
- 12 16 Days on the South Island
- 13 Need help in Auckland
- 14 Restaurant recommendations for Tahiti
- 15 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 16 Itinerary for full day bus trip outside of Auckland
- 17 Uber in Sydney
- 18 Sydney Airport for International Flight
- 19 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 20 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 21 Darwin Accomodations
- 22 Airport Fees for Europcar Rental Cars
- 23 New Zealand Itinerary - Looking for suggestions on 12-13 days on the Ground
- 24 Lodging Reservations in NSW
- 25 New Zealand 3-week itinerary over Christmas