I’m in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to Australia for July 1st through the 26th with my girlfriend; we’re traveling from the United States. I have family in Melbourne and have been to the East Coast of Australia and Uluru numerous times.
This being said, I am planning this trip with my girlfriend and it will be her first trip to Australia. My idea of fun (bumming around Nimbin, skiing in at Mt Buller and hiking Tasmania) might not be the same as hers. What is your suggested itinerary for a trip of this time frame? Budget wise, how much should I plan for? In the past I have always traveled Australia and New Zealand on a backpacker budget of around $4000 - $5000 USD (including flights), but I don’t think this would be sufficient with my girlfriend. (Also, would a layover in Queenstown be worth it for a few days?)
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 3 weeks in NZ
- 2 Cairns airfare getting too high
- 3 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 4 Hamilton Island
- 5 Six Weeks Down Under
- 6 Airport Fees for Europcar Rental Cars
- 7 Driving direction on the Great Ocean Road
- 8 In and around Sydney
- 9 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 10 Mt Buller for 1 night in July
- 11 Cruising AUS & NZ 2018
- 12 CFP: how much to bring, ATMs?
- 13 First Time - Assistance with NZ- South
- 14 Flood Emergency Services
- 15 7 days in New Zealand
- 16 16 Days on the South Island
- 17 Need help in Auckland
- 18 Restaurant recommendations for Tahiti
- 19 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 20 Itinerary for full day bus trip outside of Auckland
- 21 Uber in Sydney
- 22 Sydney Airport for International Flight
- 23 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 24 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 25 Darwin Accomodations