This September I'm heading Down Under for a year on a working-holiday visa accompanied by my cousin. We are flying from Vancouver, Canada to Perth. My sister is currently living in Perth, so we are spending a month with her to get ourselves organized for our travels the following month.
I'm wondering if any of you could supply me with any suggestions/alterations to our "plan" (it's not set in stone just yet). We'll both be going with around $8,000 CDN. Since we both have been approved for a working-holiday visa, we are going to be working odd jobs throughout our travels (if they'll hire us....).
So, our plan is to spend the month of September in Perth and fly into Melbourne or Sydney (cannot decide which one) and spend about 4 days in each place (?). If we fly into Melbourne, after spending some time sight-seeing, we make a trip over to Tasmania. After we've explored, fly to Sydney. From this point on, we will be renting a camper van to drive up the East Coast. We don't exactly have an official route to take but this is sort of a rough copy of a route we are considering: start Sydney, Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Noosa, Fraser Island, Whitsundays, Cairns (last stop), fly back to Perth. I'm thinking this would take us a month.
Oh, and some of our interests include: beaches, outdoors, history, watersports, food.... (just to name a few). Also, I'm vegan, and i'd imagine I won't have any difficulties finding options seeing as Australia is Westernized, but if anyone could recommend any restaurants or anything, that'd be swell!
I know the itinerary isn't perfect, so that's why i'm writing here to ask you all to help revise it! Oh, I forgot to mention we plan on doing the majority of our cooking in our camper van, and perhaps go out and eat a few times (we are on a budget, so i've read this is a lot more cost-efficient).
Last thing, if anyone can recommend any camper van companies also that'd be wonderful! I've been looking at wickedcampers and spaceshipsrentals.
Thanks for all of your help!
Australia: East Coast Travel Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 The Great Australian Adventure
- 2 Very beginning of very rough itinerary
- 3 Shoe Recommendations for NZ??
- 4 First time in NZ and only have a week
- 5 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 6 Songdoc's Tasmanian Honeymoon
- 7 NZ SI: Picton to Christchurch anywhere worth staying a night?
- 8 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 9 Must See/Dos in New Zealand
- 10 21 day New Zealand Itinerary with Milford Track
- 11 Songdoc - Skippers Canyon
- 12 7 day south island itinerary help, start/end in Queenstown
- 13 Moorea - Villas/House/Condo's
- 14 Great Ocean Road Itinerary
- 15 5 week itinerary help
- 16 Beachmere Australias most Unfriendly Town
- 17 Help with Australia/ New Zealand plan!
- 18 New Zealand Trip - Solicit suggestions
- 19 Margaret River, One Bite at a Time
- 20 New Zealand (South Island) 10 Day Itinerary - Need Advice Please
- 21 Ideas for holidays in Australia in January/February
- 22 This special community - Fodorville
- 23 New Zealand -help with itinerary
- 24 Traveling to Hawaii
- 25 Great food/local favorites