I am currently planning the last details of my honeymoon in NZ, and I would like some advice if poss on a little dilemma I have.
FYI, our honeymoon is an outdoor-scenery-action-filled two weeks in NZ (quite a tight schedule between driving, activities, short walking treks, and 2 day horse trek) then four days in New Caledonia doing nothing!
My husband and I really want to be able to swim with dolphins in the wild, and I was thinking of going to Kaikoura as it seems to be THE place to be for marine wildlife, but this means we won't be able to got to Abel Tasman.
Is that too much of a shame? Are we better off swimming with dolphins in Picton?
As we are finishing off our hols with 4 days in The Isle of Pines, perhaps Abel Tasman would be too similar to that (beaches etc.) ?
Our trip is mid-end March and the itinerary so far is :
2 nights in Taupo
2 nights in Wellington
2 nights in Kaikoura
2 nights Franz Josef
3 nights Wanaka
1 night on 2 day horse-trek near Glenorchy
2 nights in Queenstown
2 nights Milford Sound Lodge
So the other option I'm toying with is:
2 nights in Taupo
1 night in Wellington (get evening ferry instead of next morning)
1 night in Picton (to allow for early morning swim with dolphins)
2 nights in Abel Tasman
and then the same as 1st option...
Any advice would be most helpful and appreciated!! Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 2 Kaikoura roads update
- 3 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 4 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 5 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 6 Clever, mischievous keas
- 7 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 8 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 9 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 10 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 11 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 12 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 13 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 14 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 15 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 16 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 17 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas
- 18 14 Day RV from Christchurch
- 19 Whales spotted off Kaikoura first time since quake
- 20 Translation of documents
- 21 SH1 to Kaikoura update
- 22 10 days NZ-crusie or land??
- 23 Cooking classes near Melbourne
- 24 Sunshine coast or gold coast in February
- 25 Tasting Tassie, a road trip with food and wine.
Any other good places to swim with dolphins than Kaikoura.