I am visiting Australia in Mid-late September. While I will be traveling with a friend in Sydney for the first week, I will be there an additional week alone. I was looking up fares on Greyhound and saw that there was a ticket you can buy from Sydney to Cairns making multiple stops along the way. I have a week to travel and was wondering if it would be safe for a 23 yr old female to do this trip alone? I currently live in Chicago so I am very comfortable in large cities. I would plan on staying in hostels at each city I stopped in.
-Is the Greyhound system in Australia safe?
-Approximately how long would it take to get from Sydney to Cairns via Greyhound? (Assuming I have a weeks time and could make a few stops, would that be enough time?)
-What would be the best places along the way to stop? (Here is a map of the route http://www.greyhound.com.au/Help/types-of-passes/maps/map-mini-traveller-syd-cns.aspx)
-Do you think I should take small flights up along the coast (Maybe Sydney-Brisbane, then Brisbane-Cairns) instead? I thought the Greyhound experience might be cool and I could sight-see during the ride!
I would appreciate any help or insight! This would be my first trip to Australia and while I am sure it is a wonderful and safe country, I am just nervous to embark on this journey alone seeing as I am a female (and pretty small! haha).
If anyone has gone up the East coast on a Greyhound or know anyone who is doing this similar trip please let me know! I would love to meet up!
Thank you so much!
-Very excited lady from Chicago
Advice for female traveling alone
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Shoe Recommendations for NZ??
- 2 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 3 The Great Australian Adventure
- 4 NZ SI: Picton to Christchurch anywhere worth staying a night?
- 5 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 6 Must See/Dos in New Zealand
- 7 21 day New Zealand Itinerary with Milford Track
- 8 Songdoc - Skippers Canyon
- 9 7 day south island itinerary help, start/end in Queenstown
- 10 Moorea - Villas/House/Condo's
- 11 Songdoc's Tasmanian Honeymoon
- 12 Great Ocean Road Itinerary
- 13 5 week itinerary help
- 14 Beachmere Australias most Unfriendly Town
- 15 Help with Australia/ New Zealand plan!
- 16 New Zealand Trip - Solicit suggestions
- 17 Margaret River, One Bite at a Time
- 18 New Zealand (South Island) 10 Day Itinerary - Need Advice Please
- 19 Ideas for holidays in Australia in January/February
- 20 This special community - Fodorville
- 21 New Zealand -help with itinerary
- 22 Traveling to Hawaii
- 23 Great food/local favorites
- 24 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 25 Sydney