I am visiting Australia in Mid-late September. While I will be traveling with a friend in Sydney for the first week, I will be there an additional week alone. I was looking up fares on Greyhound and saw that there was a ticket you can buy from Sydney to Cairns making multiple stops along the way. I have a week to travel and was wondering if it would be safe for a 23 yr old female to do this trip alone? I currently live in Chicago so I am very comfortable in large cities. I would plan on staying in hostels at each city I stopped in.
-Is the Greyhound system in Australia safe?
-Approximately how long would it take to get from Sydney to Cairns via Greyhound? (Assuming I have a weeks time and could make a few stops, would that be enough time?)
-What would be the best places along the way to stop? (Here is a map of the route http://www.greyhound.com.au/Help/types-of-passes/maps/map-mini-traveller-syd-cns.aspx)
-Do you think I should take small flights up along the coast (Maybe Sydney-Brisbane, then Brisbane-Cairns) instead? I thought the Greyhound experience might be cool and I could sight-see during the ride!
I would appreciate any help or insight! This would be my first trip to Australia and while I am sure it is a wonderful and safe country, I am just nervous to embark on this journey alone seeing as I am a female (and pretty small! haha).
If anyone has gone up the East coast on a Greyhound or know anyone who is doing this similar trip please let me know! I would love to meet up!
Thank you so much!
-Very excited lady from Chicago
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 2 Choosing Tasmania or Perth/ Margaret River
- 3 a month in Australia help please
- 4 AUSTRALIA
- 5 Winter tragedy on the Routeburn Track (NZ)
- 6 Help me choose among these Sydney hotels, please
- 7 Few days in NZ, what to do
- 8 3 1/2 weeks in New Zealand
- 9 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 10 Awesome NewZealand Trip in Winter 2016
- 11 Help us extend our Dec. Heron Island Tip
- 12 Planning an Australia trip, not sure where to begin
- 13 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 14 New Zealand and/or Australia - Nature sites, day bus tours?
- 15 6 Days South Island Help
- 16 Zipping through New Zealand with a Fiji Finish
- 17 2 days in Auckland. what to do
- 18 Visiting New Zealand/Australia in April
- 19 Connection Time at Sydney Airport
- 20 Choose a destiation - Oceania Island(s) for 10 day trip
- 21 Cairns/Port Douglas from Sydney
- 22 Snorkeling in Whitsundays
- 23 New Zealand Itinerary
- 24 Dining
- 25 Where to tay in Apt in Melbourne