I am visiting Australia in Mid-late September. While I will be traveling with a friend in Sydney for the first week, I will be there an additional week alone. I was looking up fares on Greyhound and saw that there was a ticket you can buy from Sydney to Cairns making multiple stops along the way. I have a week to travel and was wondering if it would be safe for a 23 yr old female to do this trip alone? I currently live in Chicago so I am very comfortable in large cities. I would plan on staying in hostels at each city I stopped in.
-Is the Greyhound system in Australia safe?
-Approximately how long would it take to get from Sydney to Cairns via Greyhound? (Assuming I have a weeks time and could make a few stops, would that be enough time?)
-What would be the best places along the way to stop? (Here is a map of the route http://www.greyhound.com.au/Help/types-of-passes/maps/map-mini-traveller-syd-cns.aspx)
-Do you think I should take small flights up along the coast (Maybe Sydney-Brisbane, then Brisbane-Cairns) instead? I thought the Greyhound experience might be cool and I could sight-see during the ride!
I would appreciate any help or insight! This would be my first trip to Australia and while I am sure it is a wonderful and safe country, I am just nervous to embark on this journey alone seeing as I am a female (and pretty small! haha).
If anyone has gone up the East coast on a Greyhound or know anyone who is doing this similar trip please let me know! I would love to meet up!
Thank you so much!
-Very excited lady from Chicago
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 NZ get off cruise and drive to QT/Fjorland?
- 2 hotels Sydney Jan 10-15, 2017
- 3 Help with NZ Travel
- 4 Christmas Day in Sydney
- 5 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 6 Kaikoura roads update
- 7 Free Camping
- 8 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 9 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 10 Clever, mischievous keas
- 11 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 12 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 13 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 14 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 15 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 16 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 17 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 18 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 19 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 20 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 21 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 22 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas
- 23 14 Day RV from Christchurch
- 24 Whales spotted off Kaikoura first time since quake
- 25 Translation of documents