I’m looking for some help with my Abel Tasman portion of my trip (going in Nov 2014).
I am staying in Picton and plan to leave around 8:30 am to drive to Abel. I’m guessing this will take maybe 5hrs with stops along the way to take pictures. Is that accurate? This would give me half a day in the park for my “Abel Day 1”.
I have a full day in the park the next day (Abel Day 2).
I need to drive to Greymouth the next day and get there ideally by 5:30pm.
Knowing that I would like to get a short kayak trip in along with some walking, my questions are:
1) Does anyone know of a kayak tour company that starts their afternoon tours (guided) around 2:00? I think a noon start is just not feasible leaving Picton at 8:30. I could leave earlier if I picked up my car the night before I suppose but I want to make sure I get to see QCD in the daylight.
2) I’ve heard the best portion of the Abel track is Tonga to Torrent. Are there many taxi services or just the main one by the park? The times for the taxis do not run very late – the last drop off at Marahau (where I am staying) is 4pm. Which seems early since sunset will be around 8pm that time of year.
3) I think I would have to leave Abel around noon at the latest to get to Greymouth by 5:30ish. Is that accurate? I’ve looked up times via this forum and AA and it said 5 hrs. I’m wondering if I could take a morning kayak trip on the morning of “Day 3”.
Thanks for your help – this forum is amazing!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 16 Days NZ Trip
- 2 Advice for 21 Day New Zealand Motorhome
- 3 9 Hour layover in Sydney, what to do?
- 4 Best route from Launceston to Cradle Mtn and return to Freycinet
- 5 Warrnambool AND Oddball.
- 6 18 days in New Zealand - Advise
- 7 Queenstown/Otango for 72 hours
- 8 February visit to scuba in Great Barrier Reef?
- 9 Vava'u - Tongan Beach Resort - Photoshopped pictures on their website
- 10 Queensland Tips
- 11 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 12 Wineries with accomodations
- 13 Drivers license
- 14 Road trip to Canberra and Sydney
- 15 Sydney & Palm Cove in November
- 16 Two weeks in Australia: 2015 Trip Report
- 17 South Island New Zealand 28 days in a motor home
- 18 If you had 2 months for NZ and Australia
- 19 Need help for Dec.-Jan. Australia trip--Melbourne, Tazzie?, KI?, GBR
- 20 Tahiti vs Moorea vs Bora Bora
- 21 Cell Phone/Data Service for NZ
- 22 Itinerary: Both Islands in 27 days
- 23 New Zealand, South Island, 2 weeks, intinerary help?
- 24 New Zealand South Island itinerary advice
- 25 5 Day Circle trip along GOR from Melbourne