I’m looking for some help with my Abel Tasman portion of my trip (going in Nov 2014).
I am staying in Picton and plan to leave around 8:30 am to drive to Abel. I’m guessing this will take maybe 5hrs with stops along the way to take pictures. Is that accurate? This would give me half a day in the park for my “Abel Day 1”.
I have a full day in the park the next day (Abel Day 2).
I need to drive to Greymouth the next day and get there ideally by 5:30pm.
Knowing that I would like to get a short kayak trip in along with some walking, my questions are:
1) Does anyone know of a kayak tour company that starts their afternoon tours (guided) around 2:00? I think a noon start is just not feasible leaving Picton at 8:30. I could leave earlier if I picked up my car the night before I suppose but I want to make sure I get to see QCD in the daylight.
2) I’ve heard the best portion of the Abel track is Tonga to Torrent. Are there many taxi services or just the main one by the park? The times for the taxis do not run very late – the last drop off at Marahau (where I am staying) is 4pm. Which seems early since sunset will be around 8pm that time of year.
3) I think I would have to leave Abel around noon at the latest to get to Greymouth by 5:30ish. Is that accurate? I’ve looked up times via this forum and AA and it said 5 hrs. I’m wondering if I could take a morning kayak trip on the morning of “Day 3”.
Thanks for your help – this forum is amazing!
Abel - Kayak and Walk / Timing Questions
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 South and North New Zealand in three weeks
- 2 Adelaide and Kangaroo Island
- 3 Accommodation Brisbane
- 4 Accommodation Brisbane
- 5 Is French really spoken in Tahiti?
- 6 Happy Australia Day!
- 7 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June
- 8 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 9 Tim Tam
- 10 Tipping
- 11 Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?
- 12 Transit Time at SYD
- 13 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 14 Where to visit outside Melbourne for several days?
- 15 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 16 Where to stay near Melbourne
- 17 Car rentals south island
- 18 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 19 Brisbane, need short term accommodation
- 20 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 21 Pls help with NZ South Island 12 days with surfing itinerary!
- 22 New Zealand South Island in 8 days!
- 23 OZ and NZ with a 16month old baby
- 24 NZ North Island 17 days in March
- 25 New Zealand