Arrival in Dunedin on January 23, 2016
Eight full days in the southern part of the South Island
Departure from Dunedin on January 31, 2016
It’s been one month since my first trip to wonderful New Zealand. While I did take some trip report notes during my travels, I waited a bit before typing it all up. This way, I think I’m able to be more objective when reflecting on the trip - and I get the added benefit of reliving it as I go along!
I wanted to post my TR for New Zealand even though it was a different kind of vacation compared to most of the threads I’ve read here. Unfortunately for this trip we didn’t have nearly enough time to really dig in and explore amazing NZ! This vacation was more of a quick trip and overview to a couple of areas on the South Island. However, I want to say thanks to everyone who posted trip reports and discussions over the years, as I really did enjoy reading them for research and entertainment leading up to my own trip. I expect that I will probably return to NZ again some day and hopefully be able to take a more slow-travel approach and focus on the incredible scenery and nature NZ has to offer.
This trip came about when my younger sister (CJ) was accepted to a study abroad exchange program to attend the University of Otago for her 2nd semester of junior year. Last summer, she did a shorter summer-session study abroad program in Denmark, and our dad and I were able to travel with her before her program started. Well, this time our mom and I decided we needed to do the same for her New Zealand study abroad. The girls’ trip to the South Island was in motion! CJ and Mom live in the same state in the southern US, whereas I currently live in southern California. We booked flights that were to arrive in Auckland around the same time, and then the three of us would take the same connecting flight to Dunedin together.
Traveling with Mom means that CJ and I get to stay in nicer hotels and eat at nicer restaurants than we normally would if we were without our generous parent We mapped out our plan: Dunedin, Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, and back to Dunedin. Then Mom and I would fly back to the United States, and CJ gets to stay in NZ until June.
Next up: Day 1 - Arrival, driving on the left, and Dunedin!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand Itinerary Revised...Advice Please!
- 2 Australia Itinerary
- 3 New Zealand with teenagers
- 4 Another itinerary question
- 5 Suggestions for 3 weeks
- 6 The whisky trail.
- 7 Western Australia (Denmark and New Norcia)
- 8 Australia and New Zealand Oct/Nov 2017
- 9 Bali, Fiji, Bora Bora, Maldives? Which is better?
- 10 Family trip report: Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea
- 11 1 day scenic tour from Gold coast
- 12 Need help on planning 14-15 days trip to Australia
- 13 Help with New Zealand Itinerary
- 14 Mucky, Smchrissy, Margo, Alan -I've lost the New Years Eve thread
- 15 Is this a good time to talk about the Lions' tour?
- 16 help with intinerary please!
- 17 Early Planning to the South Pacific
- 18 Ahe to Manihi or v.v.
- 19 early planning for NZ South Island trip - please provide feedback
- 20 Quaint
- 21 Milford Sound Coach/Cruise/Fly Options
- 22 North and South Island itinerary feedback
- 23 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 24 Western Australia + Where?
- 25 Port Douglas/Cairns