Arrival in Dunedin on January 23, 2016
Eight full days in the southern part of the South Island
Departure from Dunedin on January 31, 2016
It’s been one month since my first trip to wonderful New Zealand. While I did take some trip report notes during my travels, I waited a bit before typing it all up. This way, I think I’m able to be more objective when reflecting on the trip - and I get the added benefit of reliving it as I go along!
I wanted to post my TR for New Zealand even though it was a different kind of vacation compared to most of the threads I’ve read here. Unfortunately for this trip we didn’t have nearly enough time to really dig in and explore amazing NZ! This vacation was more of a quick trip and overview to a couple of areas on the South Island. However, I want to say thanks to everyone who posted trip reports and discussions over the years, as I really did enjoy reading them for research and entertainment leading up to my own trip. I expect that I will probably return to NZ again some day and hopefully be able to take a more slow-travel approach and focus on the incredible scenery and nature NZ has to offer.
This trip came about when my younger sister (CJ) was accepted to a study abroad exchange program to attend the University of Otago for her 2nd semester of junior year. Last summer, she did a shorter summer-session study abroad program in Denmark, and our dad and I were able to travel with her before her program started. Well, this time our mom and I decided we needed to do the same for her New Zealand study abroad. The girls’ trip to the South Island was in motion! CJ and Mom live in the same state in the southern US, whereas I currently live in southern California. We booked flights that were to arrive in Auckland around the same time, and then the three of us would take the same connecting flight to Dunedin together.
Traveling with Mom means that CJ and I get to stay in nicer hotels and eat at nicer restaurants than we normally would if we were without our generous parent We mapped out our plan: Dunedin, Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, and back to Dunedin. Then Mom and I would fly back to the United States, and CJ gets to stay in NZ until June.
Next up: Day 1 - Arrival, driving on the left, and Dunedin!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 0nline COMCAST Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:540 :6830 COMCAST ACCOUNT 24*7
- 2 4 weeks in New Zealand
- 3 Vacation to New Zealand during deep Winter
- 4 5 days trip in South Island
- 5 5 nights in Sydney
- 6 Oct - 30 Day Trip to Australia & New Zealand
- 7 14 day South NZ Trip
- 8 NZ's Yellow Eyed Penguins Face Extinction on the Mainland
- 9 North Island Itinerary Help
- 10 Visa for Australia
- 11 Gold Coast -whale watching
- 12 Hotel Sydney
- 13 Transportation advice needed
- 14 Need advice on Blue Mountain trip
- 15 Sydney Harbor Marriott
- 16 Three days in Cairns
- 17 Best Priced Tour for Sydney Harbor Bridge Blue Mountain & Hunter Valley
- 18 Gold coast for 6 days in July
- 19 2 Nights in Blue moutain End June
- 20 Tasmania - looking for bird watching guide for day trips
- 21 itinerary for one month in Australia with a kid
- 22 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 23 Air Tahiti Baggage Allowance
- 24 Potts point OR CBD in Sydney
- 25 NZ DoC hut fees to rise in some cases