Arrival in Dunedin on January 23, 2016
Eight full days in the southern part of the South Island
Departure from Dunedin on January 31, 2016
It’s been one month since my first trip to wonderful New Zealand. While I did take some trip report notes during my travels, I waited a bit before typing it all up. This way, I think I’m able to be more objective when reflecting on the trip - and I get the added benefit of reliving it as I go along!
I wanted to post my TR for New Zealand even though it was a different kind of vacation compared to most of the threads I’ve read here. Unfortunately for this trip we didn’t have nearly enough time to really dig in and explore amazing NZ! This vacation was more of a quick trip and overview to a couple of areas on the South Island. However, I want to say thanks to everyone who posted trip reports and discussions over the years, as I really did enjoy reading them for research and entertainment leading up to my own trip. I expect that I will probably return to NZ again some day and hopefully be able to take a more slow-travel approach and focus on the incredible scenery and nature NZ has to offer.
This trip came about when my younger sister (CJ) was accepted to a study abroad exchange program to attend the University of Otago for her 2nd semester of junior year. Last summer, she did a shorter summer-session study abroad program in Denmark, and our dad and I were able to travel with her before her program started. Well, this time our mom and I decided we needed to do the same for her New Zealand study abroad. The girls’ trip to the South Island was in motion! CJ and Mom live in the same state in the southern US, whereas I currently live in southern California. We booked flights that were to arrive in Auckland around the same time, and then the three of us would take the same connecting flight to Dunedin together.
Traveling with Mom means that CJ and I get to stay in nicer hotels and eat at nicer restaurants than we normally would if we were without our generous parent We mapped out our plan: Dunedin, Queenstown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, and back to Dunedin. Then Mom and I would fly back to the United States, and CJ gets to stay in NZ until June.
Next up: Day 1 - Arrival, driving on the left, and Dunedin!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 South Australia Help with Itinerary
- 2 5 days in South Island
- 3 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 4 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 5 New Zealand Itinerary
- 6 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 7 NZ visa denials
- 8 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 9 Help on Itinerary
- 10 Sydney Trip
- 11 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 12 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 13 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 14 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 15 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 16 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 17 Extra 2 nights = help
- 18 February Australia Visit
- 19 Best wildlife near sydney
- 20 Where to go in Australia
- 21 Bruny Island
- 22 Western Australia
- 23 South Island - West Coast Itinerary
- 24 Vava'u - Tongan Beach Resort - Photoshopped pictures on their website
- 25 New Zealand South Island Alternative Itinerary