We are taking our first trip to New Zealand and arrive on October 28th for 8 days. It will be my husband and myself and two of our adult children. I am struggling with trying to figure out distances and the amount of time we should allow for each stop. We are accustomed to lots of driving...even on the other side of the road. We are also accustomed to going all day with quick stops to pick up snacks etc. We are not bungee jumpers, helicopter people, skiers, but we do enjoy a a walk with nature so we would have an interest in some hiking. Right now this is what we have:
Fri Oct 28- arrive in Queenstown from Philadelphia. Spend the afternoon exploring the city and then an early dinner
Sat Oct 29- We would like to go to Milford Sound. My husband was going to drive round trip but after reading several posts I thin that is not prudent. I have read about the tours offered by Trip and Tramps which appeals to us because there is the bus ride, then the cruise but a walk is included. Unfortunately it only leaves from Te Anau so we think we may need to rent a car and leave at 5:30 am and meet the 8 am bus for departure from Te Anua. If anyone can suggest another option we would be grateful
Sunday Oct 30- We had thought we would drive to Dunedin. It appears to be a 3 hours trip and the town very small but from what I can gather there are several quaint towns along the way and place to get food. We would spend the night in Queenstown.
Now I am not sure how to map the next two or three days. We would like to see Wanaka and Lake Takepo and Franz Josef Glacier. If we drive to Wanaka and then spend the night and leave the next morning for Franz Josef Glacier ..spend the afternoon and evening there..see the sights in the am ...do we then have to drive backwards to Wanaka to get to Lake Takepo ?
It appears if we went to Lake Takepo first the same would be the case. We would need to drive back to Wanaka before heading to Franz Josef Glacier.
We think that those three stops would take us until Thursday afternoon when we should be flying to Auckland since we fly home from Auckland on Sunday the Nov 6th.
I have seen mixed reviews about visiting Waihehe Island? Should we head in another direction..north maybe?
If you have any restaurant recommendations we would be appreciative.
We thought at this point seeing Wellington and trying to fit in a ferry ride from Picton to Wellington was too much and we are not convinced we need to see Christchurch. Thoughts?
Again any and all ideas and suggestions are much appreciated
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 2 14 day South NZ Trip
- 3 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 4 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 5 Best national park around Sydney
- 6 1 night stay around GOR
- 7 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 8 7 days in New Zealand
- 9 One-day hike in Milford area
- 10 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 11 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 12 NZ repeat visitors
- 13 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 14 South Island Suggestions
- 15 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 16 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 17 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 18 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 19 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 20 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 21 New Zealand Car Rental
- 22 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 23 What exactly is a NZ sound?
- 24 4 weeks in New Zealand
- 25 An interesting read re driving to Milford Sound