I made a last minute decision to goto the South Island in Queenstown from the USA and have never been to NZ. I've been doing some research to find out what to do and was hoping for some help. I thought 7 days would be a lot of time because i thought NZ was small, but as i researched i realized i was pretty wrong and won't have that much time if i'm driving everywhere.
I am an older young adult single male, fit and active. I arrive on 12/18, fly out 12/25, and I rented a car for the duration. Fly in/out from Queenstown. What i'm looking for in this trip is hiking, outdoors, and of course random relax times. Here's a general of what I was looking at so far for what i'd like to do (from my limited knowledge):
Day 1 - Queenstown exploring, then to wanaka...take easy first day?
- Fox Glacier / Franz Josef - hiking, heli tour to ice hikes?
- Hike to mirror lake
- drive up to Mt Cook village (aoki)
- hike places, stargazing observatory
- Te-Anau to Milford Sound
- Day tour? drive and hike random places, hike to Key Summit / lake Marian
Day 7 - End in Queenstown to stay?
Day 8 - Rest, fly out mid-afternoon.
- Hot springs close by anywhere? beaches worth going to?
- Is Arthurs Pass worth it or possible?
- Bringing mostly summer/hiking clothing, some thin warmer stuff for glaciers. Is that good for this time of year?
Are there hostels and such to drop in on everywhere, bed and breakfasts and such? Again, i think i'm mostly looking for views and hikes on this trip. Like as I'm driving if there's places i can stop to hike i would love that. I used a lot of the newzealand.com trips and driving itinerary pages are references as well as other travel sites.
But I'm wondering if my itinerary is too much...with something like this will i be able to enjoy what i'm doing or mostly rushing to drive from place to place? Are there things i'm missing and should do, or are there things i prob shouldn't do that's on my list? In my head, i was thinking of circling the whole island at first but then realized that that was ridiculous in the amount of time I had planned. thanks for the help!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 2 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 3 6 days Queenstown (NZ) itineary suggestion????
- 4 14 day South NZ Trip
- 5 One-day hike in Milford area
- 6 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 7 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 8 Best national park around Sydney
- 9 1 night stay around GOR
- 10 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 11 7 days in New Zealand
- 12 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 13 NZ repeat visitors
- 14 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 15 South Island Suggestions
- 16 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 17 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 18 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 19 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 20 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 21 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 22 New Zealand Car Rental
- 23 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 24 What exactly is a NZ sound?
- 25 4 weeks in New Zealand
7 day south island itinerary help, start/end in Queenstown