I made a last minute decision to goto the South Island in Queenstown from the USA and have never been to NZ. I've been doing some research to find out what to do and was hoping for some help. I thought 7 days would be a lot of time because i thought NZ was small, but as i researched i realized i was pretty wrong and won't have that much time if i'm driving everywhere.
I am an older young adult single male, fit and active. I arrive on 12/18, fly out 12/25, and I rented a car for the duration. Fly in/out from Queenstown. What i'm looking for in this trip is hiking, outdoors, and of course random relax times. Here's a general of what I was looking at so far for what i'd like to do (from my limited knowledge):
Day 1 - Queenstown exploring, then to wanaka...take easy first day?
- Fox Glacier / Franz Josef - hiking, heli tour to ice hikes?
- Hike to mirror lake
- drive up to Mt Cook village (aoki)
- hike places, stargazing observatory
- Te-Anau to Milford Sound
- Day tour? drive and hike random places, hike to Key Summit / lake Marian
Day 7 - End in Queenstown to stay?
Day 8 - Rest, fly out mid-afternoon.
- Hot springs close by anywhere? beaches worth going to?
- Is Arthurs Pass worth it or possible?
- Bringing mostly summer/hiking clothing, some thin warmer stuff for glaciers. Is that good for this time of year?
Are there hostels and such to drop in on everywhere, bed and breakfasts and such? Again, i think i'm mostly looking for views and hikes on this trip. Like as I'm driving if there's places i can stop to hike i would love that. I used a lot of the newzealand.com trips and driving itinerary pages are references as well as other travel sites.
But I'm wondering if my itinerary is too much...with something like this will i be able to enjoy what i'm doing or mostly rushing to drive from place to place? Are there things i'm missing and should do, or are there things i prob shouldn't do that's on my list? In my head, i was thinking of circling the whole island at first but then realized that that was ridiculous in the amount of time I had planned. thanks for the help!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Mucky, Smchrissy, Margo, Alan -I've lost the New Years Eve thread
- 2 Is this a good time to talk about the Lions' tour?
- 3 Bali, Fiji, Bora Bora, Maldives? Which is better?
- 4 help with intinerary please!
- 5 Early Planning to the South Pacific
- 6 Ahe to Manihi or v.v.
- 7 early planning for NZ South Island trip - please provide feedback
- 8 Quaint
- 9 Milford Sound Coach/Cruise/Fly Options
- 10 North and South Island itinerary feedback
- 11 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 12 Western Australia + Where?
- 13 Family trip report: Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea
- 14 Port Douglas/Cairns
- 15 Planning a 12-day trip to NZ in November
- 16 7-8 days in Australia, where do we go?
- 17 A few days in Darwin
- 18 1 day scenic tour from Gold coast
- 19 Air Tahiti Baggage Allowance
- 20 Hiking, cycling, and kayaking on the South Island
- 21 Ride sharing Service
- 22 Our Three weeks in Australia and PNG
- 23 East coast australia itinerary - feedback please!
- 24 My tips for NZ motorhome hire
- 25 Which glowworm dell is better – Hokitika or Fox Glacier (Minnehaha)?
7 day south island itinerary help, start/end in Queenstown