I'll be in Sydney a week from tomorrow, as part of a larger trip to Melbourne and Canberra. I'm a 30 year-old male who normally sightsees quickly and enjoys art museums and gardens. Here are my thoughts, but I'm open to feedback. I really have no idea what to expect on the first day, after arriving from 20 hours of traveling at 7:30 am.
- arrive 7:30 am
- airport Express to Marriott Circular Quay
- Museum Contemporary Art
- Day visit to Observatory
- Discovery Rocks Museum
- Pop into Customs House
- refresh at hotel
- dinner Fish at Rocks: 6 pm
- See Campbell's Storehouses
- Bulletin Place Bar
- Botanic Gardens: in am
- Art Gallery New South Wales (10 am)
- St Mary's Cathedral (can I just pop in on a Sunday?)
- Australian Museum
- Elizabeth Bay House (closes at 4)
- El Alamen Fountain
Get back (how?), refresh, Jamie's Italian at 6:30
- Drink Cafe Sydney (unless is closed?)
- Inside of Sydney Town Hall: 8:30
- Queen Victoria Building - 9 am
- Strand Arcade
- 10:30 - Library Tour (skip?)
- St. Andrew's Church
- Outside of Parliament House
- State Theatre - Can I just pop inside mid-day?
- Chinese Garden of Friendship
- Back to Marriott, walk with luggage to Park Hyatt
- lower level walk across Harbor Bridge and back. Pylon Lookout
- Refresh in hotel, time for dinner at Altitude at 6:30
- Opera House at 9 am
- Beach day Bondi and Bronte. Gelato Messina for a snack and maybe Icebergs for a drink? How on earth to get there and back?
Dinner at Waterfront: 6:30
- enjoy Park Hyatt pool
- some sort of ferry ride?
- Tarronga Zoo or Featherdale ... or Aquarium/Maritime
- Catch airport express (leave at say 4:30 or 5?) in time for 7:30 flight to Melbourne
Wednesday feels pretty open at this point. I know I'll want a little Park Hyatt relaxation time at some point, and I'd love to get out on the water on some sort of ferry at some point. Any tips? I also feel bad about not seeing any wildlife, but Tarronga, Featherdale or even Koala just seem so far out, and I worry about doing any of them on the last day. If I want to just stay in town, I guess I could go to Aquarium (expensive) and Maritime.
There are some sights I feel I want to skip, including the Bridge Climb (too costly and want to just walk on my own and to see the Pylon) and Sydney Tower (will get good views from Altitude). But, I'm open to suggestions. Maybe I could give a couple of the museums a miss, or skip the library tour, if that would help free up time for more important sights. I'll be doing a lot of Parliament and Library tours in Canberra.
5 days in Sydney: itinerary review
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Taormina to Palermo
- 2 The Great Australian Adventure
- 3 Very beginning of very rough itinerary
- 4 Shoe Recommendations for NZ??
- 5 First time in NZ and only have a week
- 6 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 7 Songdoc's Tasmanian Honeymoon
- 8 NZ SI: Picton to Christchurch anywhere worth staying a night?
- 9 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 10 Must See/Dos in New Zealand
- 11 21 day New Zealand Itinerary with Milford Track
- 12 Songdoc - Skippers Canyon
- 13 7 day south island itinerary help, start/end in Queenstown
- 14 Moorea - Villas/House/Condo's
- 15 Great Ocean Road Itinerary
- 16 5 week itinerary help
- 17 Beachmere Australias most Unfriendly Town
- 18 Help with Australia/ New Zealand plan!
- 19 New Zealand Trip - Solicit suggestions
- 20 Margaret River, One Bite at a Time
- 21 New Zealand (South Island) 10 Day Itinerary - Need Advice Please
- 22 Ideas for holidays in Australia in January/February
- 23 This special community - Fodorville
- 24 New Zealand -help with itinerary
- 25 Traveling to Hawaii