I hope some one can help me in making my plans for my trip to NZ. I have a business trip taking me to Christchurch in June this year. I have booked my out going flight from Auckland so that i get a chance to drive up to Auckland from Christchurch. I know i may have been too optimistic but i booked the flights without figuring my actual plans.
However i would like to see the Franz Josef Glaciers or Mount Cook before i start driving up. During winter which one would be a better choice. I understand if i drive this is going to be a 20-30 hr drive approx in 4 days depending on weather conditions and if i stop to look at something else.
What other spectacular locations can i view during my drive.
My plan at this point is to drive from ChristChurch to Franz Josef or Mount Cook depending on weather conditions and what would you travel enthusiasts consider a better site.
Then drive up through Greymouth and go to Kahurangi National Park if I have time.
Take the Ferry from Picton, spend some time in Wellington possibly see Weta Caves or Hobbiton
Go up to Waitomo Glow worm Caves and then drive to Auckland and fly home.
My question is
a) Is this possible during the month of June?
b) Are there any must sees that i can do during this drive up
c) How bad is the weather in North/South Islands especially around Mount Cook or by the Glaciers
d) which one should i see?
All the help will be greatly appreciated.
4 days in NZ
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 The perfect exotic and romantic location for my girlfriend's 21st?
- 2 Advice needed for South Pacific ports
- 3 Second try for Australia Itinerary in October
- 4 Mammals and avians in SA and NSW
- 5 Tahiti Honeymoon in November?
- 6 NZ Proposed Trip Itinerary (Constructive Suggestions Appreciated!)
- 7 Wash your Boots! A New Zealand Trip Report
- 8 When to travel to New Zealand?
- 9 16 days all over New Zealand
- 10 Cairns - boat from Lizard Island
- 11 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 12 Please help with New Zealand Itinerary - 12 days
- 13 Adelaide/Kangaroo Island or AliceSprings/Uluru?
- 14 Australia Trip Guidance Needed - Esp GBR
- 15 Best deal on debit/credit/cash cards
- 16 Small group multi-day hiking operators around Queenstown NZ?
- 17 Question about the "Build Up"
- 18 Buy snorkeling fins in Sydney
- 19 Tentative South Island NZ itinerary--what do you think?
- 20 3-1/2 days in Auckland .... Your personal recommendations, please.
- 21 Tipping
- 22 2 weeks in AUS and destination similar to Port Douglas?
- 23 Clueless Yank ISO Alice guidance
- 24 Songdoc's Photos of Beautiful Tasmania
- 25 auckland connection