I hope some one can help me in making my plans for my trip to NZ. I have a business trip taking me to Christchurch in June this year. I have booked my out going flight from Auckland so that i get a chance to drive up to Auckland from Christchurch. I know i may have been too optimistic but i booked the flights without figuring my actual plans.
However i would like to see the Franz Josef Glaciers or Mount Cook before i start driving up. During winter which one would be a better choice. I understand if i drive this is going to be a 20-30 hr drive approx in 4 days depending on weather conditions and if i stop to look at something else.
What other spectacular locations can i view during my drive.
My plan at this point is to drive from ChristChurch to Franz Josef or Mount Cook depending on weather conditions and what would you travel enthusiasts consider a better site.
Then drive up through Greymouth and go to Kahurangi National Park if I have time.
Take the Ferry from Picton, spend some time in Wellington possibly see Weta Caves or Hobbiton
Go up to Waitomo Glow worm Caves and then drive to Auckland and fly home.
My question is
a) Is this possible during the month of June?
b) Are there any must sees that i can do during this drive up
c) How bad is the weather in North/South Islands especially around Mount Cook or by the Glaciers
d) which one should i see?
All the help will be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand Trip: Late September/South Island/10 days.
- 2 Dec trip - Itinerary planning help and recommendations
- 3 Sydney CBC Serviced Apartment
- 4 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 5 3 days for trip from Christchurch
- 6 Help organizing a Tasmanian road trip
- 7 Tasmania Itinerary Question
- 8 New Zealand Itinerary January/February
- 9 Need help on 2 week itinerary - North Island, winter, with kids (5, 7, 10)
- 10 Help a North American understand winter in New Zealand
- 11 Need Advice for NZ winter trip itinerary
- 12 Sydney on New Years Eve: Worth It?
- 13 Franz Josef or Mt. Cook?
- 14 One day in Sydney
- 15 Wash your Boots! A New Zealand Trip Report
- 16 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary - Sydney & New Zealand (South Island)
- 17 Fiji - Snorkel & Scuba
- 18 9 days in Fiji
- 19 Which Island for a longer stay?
- 20 Great Barrier Reef snorkeling vs Fiji snorkeling for a 2 week honeymoon?
- 21 Auf Wiedersehen Australia
- 22 Australia Itinerary Help In July/August
- 23 Red Centre - how long to stay
- 24 New Zealand/Fiji/Tahiti/Australia oh my
- 25 Physically Disabled Solo Traveler in Sydney, Cairns