I hope some one can help me in making my plans for my trip to NZ. I have a business trip taking me to Christchurch in June this year. I have booked my out going flight from Auckland so that i get a chance to drive up to Auckland from Christchurch. I know i may have been too optimistic but i booked the flights without figuring my actual plans.
However i would like to see the Franz Josef Glaciers or Mount Cook before i start driving up. During winter which one would be a better choice. I understand if i drive this is going to be a 20-30 hr drive approx in 4 days depending on weather conditions and if i stop to look at something else.
What other spectacular locations can i view during my drive.
My plan at this point is to drive from ChristChurch to Franz Josef or Mount Cook depending on weather conditions and what would you travel enthusiasts consider a better site.
Then drive up through Greymouth and go to Kahurangi National Park if I have time.
Take the Ferry from Picton, spend some time in Wellington possibly see Weta Caves or Hobbiton
Go up to Waitomo Glow worm Caves and then drive to Auckland and fly home.
My question is
a) Is this possible during the month of June?
b) Are there any must sees that i can do during this drive up
c) How bad is the weather in North/South Islands especially around Mount Cook or by the Glaciers
d) which one should i see?
All the help will be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Scenic Overload on NZ's South Island: November 2015
- 2 Itinerary set! Any Fodorites up for meeting up in Australia?
- 3 Planning 20 days in Autralia
- 4 Prelim itinerary- 12 nights on the North Island
- 5 Solo (mostly) coach trip - 45 days itinerary planning
- 6 Help rounding out AU & NZ itinerary
- 7 Arriving in Queenstown - When to Visit Milford Sound?
- 8 Rental Car Return and Melbourne
- 9 May/June Wedding on Rarotonga
- 10 Foreign Exchange Programs
- 11 Cairns or Port Douglas
- 12 Tonga is a off the beaten track, but a beautiful destination: See my pics!
- 13 Where to Sky Dive and Bungee in NZ
- 14 Solo travel in Australia -- not sure where to go!
- 15 Need Help On French Polynesia Trip in June.
- 16 New Zealand-Trip Report-30 Days North & South Island
- 17 Two day South Coast & Southern Highlands loop - restaurant reccos please.
- 18 Sydney or Melbourne for wine tour?
- 19 2 wks in Oz--Melbourne, GOR, Tas, Pt Douglas, Atherton Tbllnds, pt 2
- 20 Southern Highlands vs Hunter Valley
- 21 New Zealand Trip Planning
- 22 Brisbane Airpot Hotel advice
- 23 Sorting out time in Sydney
- 24 Please help finalize our Tasmania itinerary
- 25 2 wks in Oz--Melbourne, GOR, Tas, Pt Douglas, Atherton Tbllnds, pt 1