I hope some one can help me in making my plans for my trip to NZ. I have a business trip taking me to Christchurch in June this year. I have booked my out going flight from Auckland so that i get a chance to drive up to Auckland from Christchurch. I know i may have been too optimistic but i booked the flights without figuring my actual plans.
However i would like to see the Franz Josef Glaciers or Mount Cook before i start driving up. During winter which one would be a better choice. I understand if i drive this is going to be a 20-30 hr drive approx in 4 days depending on weather conditions and if i stop to look at something else.
What other spectacular locations can i view during my drive.
My plan at this point is to drive from ChristChurch to Franz Josef or Mount Cook depending on weather conditions and what would you travel enthusiasts consider a better site.
Then drive up through Greymouth and go to Kahurangi National Park if I have time.
Take the Ferry from Picton, spend some time in Wellington possibly see Weta Caves or Hobbiton
Go up to Waitomo Glow worm Caves and then drive to Auckland and fly home.
My question is
a) Is this possible during the month of June?
b) Are there any must sees that i can do during this drive up
c) How bad is the weather in North/South Islands especially around Mount Cook or by the Glaciers
d) which one should i see?
All the help will be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 South Australia Help with Itinerary
- 2 Brisbane to Sydney
- 3 5 days in South Island
- 4 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 5 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 6 New Zealand Itinerary
- 7 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 8 NZ visa denials
- 9 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 10 Help on Itinerary
- 11 Sydney Trip
- 12 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 13 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 14 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 15 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 16 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 17 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 18 Extra 2 nights = help
- 19 February Australia Visit
- 20 Best wildlife near sydney
- 21 Where to go in Australia
- 22 Bruny Island
- 23 Western Australia
- 24 South Island - West Coast Itinerary
- 25 Vava'u - Tongan Beach Resort - Photoshopped pictures on their website