I hope some one can help me in making my plans for my trip to NZ. I have a business trip taking me to Christchurch in June this year. I have booked my out going flight from Auckland so that i get a chance to drive up to Auckland from Christchurch. I know i may have been too optimistic but i booked the flights without figuring my actual plans.
However i would like to see the Franz Josef Glaciers or Mount Cook before i start driving up. During winter which one would be a better choice. I understand if i drive this is going to be a 20-30 hr drive approx in 4 days depending on weather conditions and if i stop to look at something else.
What other spectacular locations can i view during my drive.
My plan at this point is to drive from ChristChurch to Franz Josef or Mount Cook depending on weather conditions and what would you travel enthusiasts consider a better site.
Then drive up through Greymouth and go to Kahurangi National Park if I have time.
Take the Ferry from Picton, spend some time in Wellington possibly see Weta Caves or Hobbiton
Go up to Waitomo Glow worm Caves and then drive to Auckland and fly home.
My question is
a) Is this possible during the month of June?
b) Are there any must sees that i can do during this drive up
c) How bad is the weather in North/South Islands especially around Mount Cook or by the Glaciers
d) which one should i see?
All the help will be greatly appreciated.
4 days in NZ
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June
- 2 Tim Tam
- 3 Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?
- 4 Transit Time at SYD
- 5 Where to stay near Melbourne
- 6 Where to visit outside Melbourne for several days?
- 7 Is French really spoken in Tahiti?
- 8 Tipping
- 9 Car rentals south island
- 10 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 11 Brisbane, need short term accommodation
- 12 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 13 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 14 Pls help with NZ South Island 12 days with surfing itinerary!
- 15 New Zealand South Island in 8 days!
- 16 OZ and NZ with a 16month old baby
- 17 NZ North Island 17 days in March
- 18 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 19 New Zealand
- 20 Need Rotorua advice
- 21 My tips for NZ motorhome hire
- 22 Broome to Cape Leveque
- 23 Auckland for 18 months
- 24 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 25 Fiji in February or March?