I hope some one can help me in making my plans for my trip to NZ. I have a business trip taking me to Christchurch in June this year. I have booked my out going flight from Auckland so that i get a chance to drive up to Auckland from Christchurch. I know i may have been too optimistic but i booked the flights without figuring my actual plans.
However i would like to see the Franz Josef Glaciers or Mount Cook before i start driving up. During winter which one would be a better choice. I understand if i drive this is going to be a 20-30 hr drive approx in 4 days depending on weather conditions and if i stop to look at something else.
What other spectacular locations can i view during my drive.
My plan at this point is to drive from ChristChurch to Franz Josef or Mount Cook depending on weather conditions and what would you travel enthusiasts consider a better site.
Then drive up through Greymouth and go to Kahurangi National Park if I have time.
Take the Ferry from Picton, spend some time in Wellington possibly see Weta Caves or Hobbiton
Go up to Waitomo Glow worm Caves and then drive to Auckland and fly home.
My question is
a) Is this possible during the month of June?
b) Are there any must sees that i can do during this drive up
c) How bad is the weather in North/South Islands especially around Mount Cook or by the Glaciers
d) which one should i see?
All the help will be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Stay near to Melbourne airport / city?
- 2 some questions about upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand
- 3 Drive from Nelson or Christchurch to Queenstown during winter
- 4 New Zealand 12 Days Aug-Sept
- 5 Seeking StopOver Ideas for US to Australia Trip
- 6 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 7 Where best to pickup rental car in Sydney to travel to the Blue Mountains?
- 8 Tasmania
- 9 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 10 2016 Rugby internationals - anyone watching?
- 11 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 12 NZ expects 4.5 million tourists per year by 2022
- 13 Help for 6 days based in Queenstown
- 14 Accommodations Brisbane
- 15 Skiing in Australia in July?
- 16 Australia 2017 - Oz Winter or Spring Honeymoon?
- 17 Cairns to Sydney early 2017
- 18 Repositioning cruise
- 19 18 days nz.
- 20 South Island over December-January Holidays
- 21 Australia/New Zealand 3 weeks
- 22 New Zealand - South Island 8 days
- 23 New Zealand ~3 weeks, nature oriented tour?
- 24 Help finding affordable aprking
- 25 NZ Air Sky Couch Seats