I hope some one can help me in making my plans for my trip to NZ. I have a business trip taking me to Christchurch in June this year. I have booked my out going flight from Auckland so that i get a chance to drive up to Auckland from Christchurch. I know i may have been too optimistic but i booked the flights without figuring my actual plans.
However i would like to see the Franz Josef Glaciers or Mount Cook before i start driving up. During winter which one would be a better choice. I understand if i drive this is going to be a 20-30 hr drive approx in 4 days depending on weather conditions and if i stop to look at something else.
What other spectacular locations can i view during my drive.
My plan at this point is to drive from ChristChurch to Franz Josef or Mount Cook depending on weather conditions and what would you travel enthusiasts consider a better site.
Then drive up through Greymouth and go to Kahurangi National Park if I have time.
Take the Ferry from Picton, spend some time in Wellington possibly see Weta Caves or Hobbiton
Go up to Waitomo Glow worm Caves and then drive to Auckland and fly home.
My question is
a) Is this possible during the month of June?
b) Are there any must sees that i can do during this drive up
c) How bad is the weather in North/South Islands especially around Mount Cook or by the Glaciers
d) which one should i see?
All the help will be greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 3 weeks in Aus in March
- 2 NZ Honeymoon in February -14 days
- 3 first time to Australia and new Zealand
- 4 New Zealand tenative 18 day itinerary
- 5 drive or fly?
- 6 I've been given my assignment: Fiji and...?
- 7 Nelson, New Zealand
- 8 Melbourne City Holiday Apartment
- 9 10-12 days in Tasmania
- 10 Is Jetstar really that bad?
- 11 French Polynesia - Cruise or Land?
- 12 Sydney Public Transport Opal Card?
- 13 3 days in Gold cost , where to stay
- 14 I Need Help Deciding Which Way To Go Around Australia
- 15 30 Day Australia Itinerary Feedback
- 16 Nevis Bungy & Swing
- 17 Sydney & Palm Cove in November
- 18 Tahiti or Raiatea?
- 19 NZ 10 day honeymoon, driving NI and SI
- 20 Boat charter Raitea
- 21 Cairns, Darwin-Kakadu, Sydney in October
- 22 Cairns Australia
- 23 New Zealand Weather - Help!
- 24 Getting to Picton
- 25 3 Weeks in Austriala and New Zealand