I hope some one can help me in making my plans for my trip to NZ. I have a business trip taking me to Christchurch in June this year. I have booked my out going flight from Auckland so that i get a chance to drive up to Auckland from Christchurch. I know i may have been too optimistic but i booked the flights without figuring my actual plans.
However i would like to see the Franz Josef Glaciers or Mount Cook before i start driving up. During winter which one would be a better choice. I understand if i drive this is going to be a 20-30 hr drive approx in 4 days depending on weather conditions and if i stop to look at something else.
What other spectacular locations can i view during my drive.
My plan at this point is to drive from ChristChurch to Franz Josef or Mount Cook depending on weather conditions and what would you travel enthusiasts consider a better site.
Then drive up through Greymouth and go to Kahurangi National Park if I have time.
Take the Ferry from Picton, spend some time in Wellington possibly see Weta Caves or Hobbiton
Go up to Waitomo Glow worm Caves and then drive to Auckland and fly home.
My question is
a) Is this possible during the month of June?
b) Are there any must sees that i can do during this drive up
c) How bad is the weather in North/South Islands especially around Mount Cook or by the Glaciers
d) which one should i see?
All the help will be greatly appreciated.
4 days in NZ
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Ferry to Manly Beach
- 2 Cairns itinerary - inputs needed
- 3 Currency in Australia and New Zealand
- 4 Paging Cathies
- 5 5 days in Tasmania
- 6 Recommended transportation for the Blue Mountains
- 7 Help
- 8 10 days in NZ itinerary
- 9 Changing terminals Sydney Airport
- 10 Byron Bay or ...
- 11 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 12 Weather in the Blue Mountains - mid September
- 13 Dec 2014 family trip-need help with itinerary
- 14 Go into the wild.. Go inland Australia
- 15 How many days needed in Sydney?
- 16 NZ vs Aust
- 17 Reasonable rental accommodation Sydney or surrounds!!
- 18 Playing Marbles with the Devil - AKA 2 weeks in the Northern Territory
- 19 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand.
- 20 Recommendations for travel on the Great Ocean Road
- 21 Joe Tro's Australia/LA trip report
- 22 August week end in Auckland
- 23 28 days to campervan around australia
- 24 Wicked Weekend I Melbourne - too much fun!
- 25 5 days in Sydney: itinerary review