Planning a trip with wife and 11-month old during Jan 2017 for 2 weeks. After some research, here's a tentative itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive CHC from Sydney (no jet lag concern). Drive to Tekapo. Stay overnight.
Day 2: Relaxed drive to Mt cook.
Day 3: Tasman Glacier. Overnight Mt cook.
Day 4: Drive towards Dunedin. Moeraki + Penguins. Overnight Dunedin.
Day 5 : Drive to Te Anau.
Day 6: Milford Sound. Overnight Te Anau again.
Day 7: Drive to Queenstown.
Day 8: Queenstown (Glenorchy drive)
Day 9: Queenstown
Day 10: Wanaka
Day 11: Drive to Franz with stops on haast pass.
Day 12: Walk to glacier/helihike/neither? Drive to Punakaiki. Stay overnight.
Day 13: Drive to Kaiteriteri. Small detour to St. Arnaud if time permits (?). Overnight Kaiteriteri.
Day 14: Abel Tasman boat+small hike+boat back. Drive to Nelson.
Day 15: Flight out from Nelson.
Was looking for some feedback on the itinerary from the experts here.
1) Are the drives on days 11-14 too much with an infant? We have driven long distances before here in the US, but not in hilly terrains and not with the baby.
2) Penguins/wildlife in Dunedin sounds enticing, but should I skip Dunedin in favor of an extra day in ATNP? In that case I would do Mt Cook-> Queenstown->Te Anau-> Wanaka
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 west and north Tasmania
- 2 South Australia Help with Itinerary
- 3 Trip to Cairns
- 4 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 5 Beers in Oz
- 6 NZ visa denials
- 7 Great Barrier Reef - Non Swimmers
- 8 Brisbane to Sydney
- 9 5 days in South Island
- 10 Vini SIM card?
- 11 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 12 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 13 New Zealand Itinerary
- 14 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 15 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 16 Help on Itinerary
- 17 Sydney Trip
- 18 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 19 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 20 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 21 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 22 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 23 Extra 2 nights = help
- 24 February Australia Visit
- 25 Best wildlife near sydney