Planning a trip with wife and 11-month old during Jan 2017 for 2 weeks. After some research, here's a tentative itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive CHC from Sydney (no jet lag concern). Drive to Tekapo. Stay overnight.
Day 2: Relaxed drive to Mt cook.
Day 3: Tasman Glacier. Overnight Mt cook.
Day 4: Drive towards Dunedin. Moeraki + Penguins. Overnight Dunedin.
Day 5 : Drive to Te Anau.
Day 6: Milford Sound. Overnight Te Anau again.
Day 7: Drive to Queenstown.
Day 8: Queenstown (Glenorchy drive)
Day 9: Queenstown
Day 10: Wanaka
Day 11: Drive to Franz with stops on haast pass.
Day 12: Walk to glacier/helihike/neither? Drive to Punakaiki. Stay overnight.
Day 13: Drive to Kaiteriteri. Small detour to St. Arnaud if time permits (?). Overnight Kaiteriteri.
Day 14: Abel Tasman boat+small hike+boat back. Drive to Nelson.
Day 15: Flight out from Nelson.
Was looking for some feedback on the itinerary from the experts here.
1) Are the drives on days 11-14 too much with an infant? We have driven long distances before here in the US, but not in hilly terrains and not with the baby.
2) Penguins/wildlife in Dunedin sounds enticing, but should I skip Dunedin in favor of an extra day in ATNP? In that case I would do Mt Cook-> Queenstown->Te Anau-> Wanaka
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 14 day South NZ Trip
- 2 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 3 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 4 Best national park around Sydney
- 5 1 night stay around GOR
- 6 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 7 7 days in New Zealand
- 8 One-day hike in Milford area
- 9 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 10 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 11 NZ repeat visitors
- 12 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 13 South Island Suggestions
- 14 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 15 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 16 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 17 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 18 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 19 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 20 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 21 New Zealand Car Rental
- 22 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 23 What exactly is a NZ sound?
- 24 4 weeks in New Zealand
- 25 An interesting read re driving to Milford Sound