Hello you NZ experts!
My husband and I will be in NZ in early August for 17 days. I'm just now starting to plan this as it has recently come up (tacking onto a business trip).
I would love suggestions for must-see, must-do places and things, as well as itinerary suggestions. I'm hoping to get some of your real favorites.
Let me give you some parameters and info.:
-- we are arriving and departing from AUK (and can fly back there from wherever in-country)
-- we are an active middle-aged couple
-- we are very well traveled, although have never been Down Under
-- we will be renting a car
-- we are absolutely open to inter-country air travel (please recommend where we should do so)
-- we love gorgeous scenery, and particularly mountains
-- we like to do light hiking/walking and be active
-- our optimal way of traveling is to stay in each place around 3 nights and choose locations that have a lot to explore in that vicinity
-- we love good, simple food done well
-- our preference is to drive between locations a max. of 3-4 hours
-- we like a mixture of rural and urban locations
-- if you have any favorite lodges, hotels, or b&b's, I'd love to hear that too.
-- we'd be open to something like "do all 17 days on the South Island"
-- budget is open (if you think something is truly great, we'll go for it)
Since I have never been to NZ, I am finding the vast array of information to be overwhelming. It certainly makes me more sympathetic to the newbie travelers who post questions about areas with which I am very familiar.
I'm looking forward to your enthusiastic suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Stay near to Melbourne airport / city?
- 2 some questions about upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand
- 3 New Zealand 12 Days Aug-Sept
- 4 Seeking StopOver Ideas for US to Australia Trip
- 5 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 6 Where best to pickup rental car in Sydney to travel to the Blue Mountains?
- 7 Drive from Nelson or Christchurch to Queenstown during winter
- 8 Tasmania
- 9 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 10 2016 Rugby internationals - anyone watching?
- 11 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 12 NZ expects 4.5 million tourists per year by 2022
- 13 Help for 6 days based in Queenstown
- 14 Accommodations Brisbane
- 15 Skiing in Australia in July?
- 16 Australia 2017 - Oz Winter or Spring Honeymoon?
- 17 Cairns to Sydney early 2017
- 18 Repositioning cruise
- 19 18 days nz.
- 20 South Island over December-January Holidays
- 21 Australia/New Zealand 3 weeks
- 22 New Zealand - South Island 8 days
- 23 New Zealand ~3 weeks, nature oriented tour?
- 24 Help finding affordable aprking
- 25 NZ Air Sky Couch Seats
17 days in NZ--1st timer looking for "must-see/do" suggestions
Hello you NZ experts!