Hello you NZ experts!
My husband and I will be in NZ in early August for 17 days. I'm just now starting to plan this as it has recently come up (tacking onto a business trip).
I would love suggestions for must-see, must-do places and things, as well as itinerary suggestions. I'm hoping to get some of your real favorites.
Let me give you some parameters and info.:
-- we are arriving and departing from AUK (and can fly back there from wherever in-country)
-- we are an active middle-aged couple
-- we are very well traveled, although have never been Down Under
-- we will be renting a car
-- we are absolutely open to inter-country air travel (please recommend where we should do so)
-- we love gorgeous scenery, and particularly mountains
-- we like to do light hiking/walking and be active
-- our optimal way of traveling is to stay in each place around 3 nights and choose locations that have a lot to explore in that vicinity
-- we love good, simple food done well
-- our preference is to drive between locations a max. of 3-4 hours
-- we like a mixture of rural and urban locations
-- if you have any favorite lodges, hotels, or b&b's, I'd love to hear that too.
-- we'd be open to something like "do all 17 days on the South Island"
-- budget is open (if you think something is truly great, we'll go for it)
Since I have never been to NZ, I am finding the vast array of information to be overwhelming. It certainly makes me more sympathetic to the newbie travelers who post questions about areas with which I am very familiar.
I'm looking forward to your enthusiastic suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Help with NZ Travel
- 2 Christmas Day in Auckland
- 3 Tara Elizabeth Buchanan - Best places to visit in Sydney
- 4 Bora Bora- April or/vs May+Agencies/Travel/Activites/Places to stay
- 5 NZ get off cruise and drive to QT/Fjorland?
- 6 hotels Sydney Jan 10-15, 2017
- 7 Christmas Day in Sydney
- 8 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 9 Kaikoura roads update
- 10 Free Camping
- 11 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 12 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 13 Clever, mischievous keas
- 14 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 15 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 16 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 17 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 18 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 19 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 20 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 21 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 22 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 23 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 24 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 25 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas
17 days in NZ--1st timer looking for "must-see/do" suggestions
Hello you NZ experts!