Hello you NZ experts!
My husband and I will be in NZ in early August for 17 days. I'm just now starting to plan this as it has recently come up (tacking onto a business trip).
I would love suggestions for must-see, must-do places and things, as well as itinerary suggestions. I'm hoping to get some of your real favorites.
Let me give you some parameters and info.:
-- we are arriving and departing from AUK (and can fly back there from wherever in-country)
-- we are an active middle-aged couple
-- we are very well traveled, although have never been Down Under
-- we will be renting a car
-- we are absolutely open to inter-country air travel (please recommend where we should do so)
-- we love gorgeous scenery, and particularly mountains
-- we like to do light hiking/walking and be active
-- our optimal way of traveling is to stay in each place around 3 nights and choose locations that have a lot to explore in that vicinity
-- we love good, simple food done well
-- our preference is to drive between locations a max. of 3-4 hours
-- we like a mixture of rural and urban locations
-- if you have any favorite lodges, hotels, or b&b's, I'd love to hear that too.
-- we'd be open to something like "do all 17 days on the South Island"
-- budget is open (if you think something is truly great, we'll go for it)
Since I have never been to NZ, I am finding the vast array of information to be overwhelming. It certainly makes me more sympathetic to the newbie travelers who post questions about areas with which I am very familiar.
I'm looking forward to your enthusiastic suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 help with intinerary please!
- 2 Bali, Fiji, Bora Bora, Maldives? Which is better?
- 3 Early Planning to the South Pacific
- 4 Ahe to Manihi or v.v.
- 5 early planning for NZ South Island trip - please provide feedback
- 6 Quaint
- 7 Milford Sound Coach/Cruise/Fly Options
- 8 North and South Island itinerary feedback
- 9 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 10 Western Australia + Where?
- 11 Family trip report: Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea
- 12 Port Douglas/Cairns
- 13 Planning a 12-day trip to NZ in November
- 14 7-8 days in Australia, where do we go?
- 15 Is this a good time to talk about the Lions' tour?
- 16 A few days in Darwin
- 17 1 day scenic tour from Gold coast
- 18 Air Tahiti Baggage Allowance
- 19 Hiking, cycling, and kayaking on the South Island
- 20 Ride sharing Service
- 21 Our Three weeks in Australia and PNG
- 22 East coast australia itinerary - feedback please!
- 23 My tips for NZ motorhome hire
- 24 Which glowworm dell is better – Hokitika or Fox Glacier (Minnehaha)?
- 25 Western Australia (Denmark and New Norcia)
17 days in NZ--1st timer looking for "must-see/do" suggestions
Hello you NZ experts!