Hello you NZ experts!
My husband and I will be in NZ in early August for 17 days. I'm just now starting to plan this as it has recently come up (tacking onto a business trip).
I would love suggestions for must-see, must-do places and things, as well as itinerary suggestions. I'm hoping to get some of your real favorites.
Let me give you some parameters and info.:
-- we are arriving and departing from AUK (and can fly back there from wherever in-country)
-- we are an active middle-aged couple
-- we are very well traveled, although have never been Down Under
-- we will be renting a car
-- we are absolutely open to inter-country air travel (please recommend where we should do so)
-- we love gorgeous scenery, and particularly mountains
-- we like to do light hiking/walking and be active
-- our optimal way of traveling is to stay in each place around 3 nights and choose locations that have a lot to explore in that vicinity
-- we love good, simple food done well
-- our preference is to drive between locations a max. of 3-4 hours
-- we like a mixture of rural and urban locations
-- if you have any favorite lodges, hotels, or b&b's, I'd love to hear that too.
-- we'd be open to something like "do all 17 days on the South Island"
-- budget is open (if you think something is truly great, we'll go for it)
Since I have never been to NZ, I am finding the vast array of information to be overwhelming. It certainly makes me more sympathetic to the newbie travelers who post questions about areas with which I am very familiar.
I'm looking forward to your enthusiastic suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 7 days in New Zealand
- 2 Hamilton Island
- 3 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 4 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 5 Mt Buller for 1 night in July
- 6 16 Days on the South Island
- 7 Need help in Auckland
- 8 Restaurant recommendations for Tahiti
- 9 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 10 Six Weeks Down Under
- 11 Itinerary for full day bus trip outside of Auckland
- 12 Uber in Sydney
- 13 Sydney Airport for International Flight
- 14 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 15 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 16 Darwin Accomodations
- 17 Airport Fees for Europcar Rental Cars
- 18 New Zealand Itinerary - Looking for suggestions on 12-13 days on the Ground
- 19 Lodging Reservations in NSW
- 20 New Zealand 3-week itinerary over Christmas
- 21 The Red Center?
- 22 Trip to Cairns
- 23 Blue mountain Or Daintree in July
- 24 Sydney Restauranr Near Opera House for Early Dining
- 25 Kaikoura-Picton coast road
17 days in NZ--1st timer looking for "must-see/do" suggestions
Hello you NZ experts!