I am planning a 16 day trip to NZ in Nov end-Mid Dec. Wanted suggestions on 5-6 things that are must dos as well as the itinerary. Me and my wife are in 30's with an infant and parents aged 60+ and they are not very fit (long walking is a no for them, though me + wife are ok doing a couple of short walks/hikes). I am also the only driver in this group.
Nov 25: Land in Queenstown
Nov 26/27: In Queenstown (in between drive to Arrowtown or Glenorchy)
Nov 28/29: Te Anau incl Milford Sound
Nov 30: Te Anau to Wanaka
Dec 1: Wanaka to Franz Josef
Dec 2: Glacier (Heli/ Walk) and then to Greymouth
Dec 3: Greymouth to Abel Tasman
Dec 4/5: Abel Tasman
Dec 6: To Picton and Ferry to Wellington
Dec 7: At Wellington: Museums etc.
Dec 8: Wellington to Le Taupo
Dec 9/10: Taupo/ Rotorua
Dec 11: Rotorua to Auckland and board flight (have a afternoon 2.50pm flight)
Suggestions? Pace? Since i am not incl Christchurch, are Mount Cook and Kaikoura reallly good or can be missed. Also have added Abel Tasman and kept 2 days as I have been reading great things on this forum on that region. What are the best areas to stay in terms of scenery and acces and what are the best activities. As to interest, enjoy beaches and things to do, but coming to NZ to hopefully see spectacular scenery. This wil prob be the only visit to NZ, so want to cover most "great" things without over rushing.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 3 weeks in NZ
- 2 Driving direction on the Great Ocean Road
- 3 Cruising AUS & NZ 2018
- 4 Cairns airfare getting too high
- 5 Hamilton Island
- 6 CFP: how much to bring, ATMs?
- 7 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 8 Six Weeks Down Under
- 9 First Time - Assistance with NZ- South
- 10 Flood Emergency Services
- 11 7 days in New Zealand
- 12 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 13 Mt Buller for 1 night in July
- 14 16 Days on the South Island
- 15 Need help in Auckland
- 16 Restaurant recommendations for Tahiti
- 17 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 18 Itinerary for full day bus trip outside of Auckland
- 19 Uber in Sydney
- 20 Sydney Airport for International Flight
- 21 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 22 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 23 Darwin Accomodations
- 24 Airport Fees for Europcar Rental Cars
- 25 New Zealand Itinerary - Looking for suggestions on 12-13 days on the Ground