DH and I are planning a 16 (or 17) day trip to the South Island taking advantage of Air NZ's promotional fares for their new non-stop route from Houston to Aukland. We can go in either February or March of 2016. Any thoughts / comments as to better timing. Is March less busy? Is weather significantly different between early February and late March. Any holidays that we should be aware of in this time frame?
Also would appreciate any comments on what you consider to be the absolute must do / must see things on the South Island.
We are interested in nature, hiking, scenery and birding, not into vineyards. We are in our early 60s and are quite physically active, but we won't be planning any abseiling, zip-lining or bungee jumping.
Milford Sound - overnight cruise - any thoughts, comments.
We will have more questions later on but we only have until Monday to decide the timing of our flights
Thank you for any assistance that you can provide
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Cairns airfare getting too high
- 2 Hamilton Island
- 3 Driving direction on the Great Ocean Road
- 4 CFP: how much to bring, ATMs?
- 5 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 6 Six Weeks Down Under
- 7 First Time - Assistance with NZ- South
- 8 Flood Emergency Services
- 9 7 days in New Zealand
- 10 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 11 Mt Buller for 1 night in July
- 12 16 Days on the South Island
- 13 Need help in Auckland
- 14 Restaurant recommendations for Tahiti
- 15 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 16 Itinerary for full day bus trip outside of Auckland
- 17 Uber in Sydney
- 18 Sydney Airport for International Flight
- 19 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 20 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 21 Darwin Accomodations
- 22 Airport Fees for Europcar Rental Cars
- 23 New Zealand Itinerary - Looking for suggestions on 12-13 days on the Ground
- 24 Lodging Reservations in NSW
- 25 New Zealand 3-week itinerary over Christmas