DH and I are planning a 16 (or 17) day trip to the South Island taking advantage of Air NZ's promotional fares for their new non-stop route from Houston to Aukland. We can go in either February or March of 2016. Any thoughts / comments as to better timing. Is March less busy? Is weather significantly different between early February and late March. Any holidays that we should be aware of in this time frame?
Also would appreciate any comments on what you consider to be the absolute must do / must see things on the South Island.
We are interested in nature, hiking, scenery and birding, not into vineyards. We are in our early 60s and are quite physically active, but we won't be planning any abseiling, zip-lining or bungee jumping.
Milford Sound - overnight cruise - any thoughts, comments.
We will have more questions later on but we only have until Monday to decide the timing of our flights
Thank you for any assistance that you can provide
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 2 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 3 6 days Queenstown (NZ) itineary suggestion????
- 4 14 day South NZ Trip
- 5 One-day hike in Milford area
- 6 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 7 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 8 Best national park around Sydney
- 9 1 night stay around GOR
- 10 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 11 7 days in New Zealand
- 12 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 13 NZ repeat visitors
- 14 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 15 South Island Suggestions
- 16 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 17 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 18 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 19 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 20 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 21 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 22 New Zealand Car Rental
- 23 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 24 What exactly is a NZ sound?
- 25 4 weeks in New Zealand