DH and I are planning a 16 (or 17) day trip to the South Island taking advantage of Air NZ's promotional fares for their new non-stop route from Houston to Aukland. We can go in either February or March of 2016. Any thoughts / comments as to better timing. Is March less busy? Is weather significantly different between early February and late March. Any holidays that we should be aware of in this time frame?
Also would appreciate any comments on what you consider to be the absolute must do / must see things on the South Island.
We are interested in nature, hiking, scenery and birding, not into vineyards. We are in our early 60s and are quite physically active, but we won't be planning any abseiling, zip-lining or bungee jumping.
Milford Sound - overnight cruise - any thoughts, comments.
We will have more questions later on but we only have until Monday to decide the timing of our flights
Thank you for any assistance that you can provide
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand Itinerary Revised...Advice Please!
- 2 Australia Itinerary
- 3 New Zealand with teenagers
- 4 Another itinerary question
- 5 Suggestions for 3 weeks
- 6 The whisky trail.
- 7 Western Australia (Denmark and New Norcia)
- 8 Australia and New Zealand Oct/Nov 2017
- 9 Bali, Fiji, Bora Bora, Maldives? Which is better?
- 10 Family trip report: Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea
- 11 1 day scenic tour from Gold coast
- 12 Need help on planning 14-15 days trip to Australia
- 13 Help with New Zealand Itinerary
- 14 Mucky, Smchrissy, Margo, Alan -I've lost the New Years Eve thread
- 15 Is this a good time to talk about the Lions' tour?
- 16 help with intinerary please!
- 17 Early Planning to the South Pacific
- 18 Ahe to Manihi or v.v.
- 19 early planning for NZ South Island trip - please provide feedback
- 20 Quaint
- 21 Milford Sound Coach/Cruise/Fly Options
- 22 North and South Island itinerary feedback
- 23 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 24 Western Australia + Where?
- 25 Port Douglas/Cairns