DH and I are planning a 16 (or 17) day trip to the South Island taking advantage of Air NZ's promotional fares for their new non-stop route from Houston to Aukland. We can go in either February or March of 2016. Any thoughts / comments as to better timing. Is March less busy? Is weather significantly different between early February and late March. Any holidays that we should be aware of in this time frame?
Also would appreciate any comments on what you consider to be the absolute must do / must see things on the South Island.
We are interested in nature, hiking, scenery and birding, not into vineyards. We are in our early 60s and are quite physically active, but we won't be planning any abseiling, zip-lining or bungee jumping.
Milford Sound - overnight cruise - any thoughts, comments.
We will have more questions later on but we only have until Monday to decide the timing of our flights
Thank you for any assistance that you can provide
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Six Weeks Down Under
- 2 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 3 Picton Drive Through
- 4 Queenstown-is it worth it?
- 5 August Honeymoon Help?
- 6 How to split up Australia?
- 7 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 8 Self Drive Tour Itinerary - Safety, Convenience, Activities, Itinerary HELP
- 9 Brisbane to Sydney
- 10 Wellington Airport to hotel
- 11 East Coast Australia
- 12 North and South Island of NZ
- 13 Clearing Kaikoura to Picton road
- 14 Romantic 10 nights Fiji - Oct 2017
- 15 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 16 Marlborough Sounds
- 17 Blue mountain in July
- 18 More pilot whales to strand at NZ's Farewell Spit
- 19 Tonga January Weather
- 20 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015
- 21 1 Month Hiking in New Zealand
- 22 Scenary around Winton QLD
- 23 Alesund - Geiranger
- 24 Drive from Melbourne to Sydney
- 25 australia for first time