DH and I are planning a 16 (or 17) day trip to the South Island taking advantage of Air NZ's promotional fares for their new non-stop route from Houston to Aukland. We can go in either February or March of 2016. Any thoughts / comments as to better timing. Is March less busy? Is weather significantly different between early February and late March. Any holidays that we should be aware of in this time frame?
Also would appreciate any comments on what you consider to be the absolute must do / must see things on the South Island.
We are interested in nature, hiking, scenery and birding, not into vineyards. We are in our early 60s and are quite physically active, but we won't be planning any abseiling, zip-lining or bungee jumping.
Milford Sound - overnight cruise - any thoughts, comments.
We will have more questions later on but we only have until Monday to decide the timing of our flights
Thank you for any assistance that you can provide
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 2 New Zealand Itinerary
- 3 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 4 NZ visa denials
- 5 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 6 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 7 Help on Itinerary
- 8 Sydney Trip
- 9 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 10 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 11 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 12 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 13 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 14 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 15 Extra 2 nights = help
- 16 February Australia Visit
- 17 Best wildlife near sydney
- 18 Where to go in Australia
- 19 Bruny Island
- 20 Western Australia
- 21 South Island - West Coast Itinerary
- 22 Vava'u - Tongan Beach Resort - Photoshopped pictures on their website
- 23 New Zealand South Island Alternative Itinerary
- 24 New Zealand travel agents/itinerary
- 25 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!