DH and I are planning a 16 (or 17) day trip to the South Island taking advantage of Air NZ's promotional fares for their new non-stop route from Houston to Aukland. We can go in either February or March of 2016. Any thoughts / comments as to better timing. Is March less busy? Is weather significantly different between early February and late March. Any holidays that we should be aware of in this time frame?
Also would appreciate any comments on what you consider to be the absolute must do / must see things on the South Island.
We are interested in nature, hiking, scenery and birding, not into vineyards. We are in our early 60s and are quite physically active, but we won't be planning any abseiling, zip-lining or bungee jumping.
Milford Sound - overnight cruise - any thoughts, comments.
We will have more questions later on but we only have until Monday to decide the timing of our flights
Thank you for any assistance that you can provide
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Order Pain medicines
- 2 Australia for two weeks.
- 3 What To do In Australia?? Suggest Some Holiday Destination.
- 4 Best Fiji Resort for Shore Snorkeling
- 5 New Zealand-2 days in Rotorua with Toddler
- 6 Middlemarch to Queenstown transportation
- 7 Food to Try Out
- 8 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 9 30 Day Itinerary: Wellington & SI - Any suggestions?
- 10 New Zealand Dec-Jan 2017
- 11 Recommended guidebooks
- 12 South Island Road Trip
- 13 Surprises in Australia
- 14 South Island winter time-lapse video
- 15 Moonee Valley, Caulfield, or other track
- 16 Australia Visit in Feb'18
- 17 Air BnB, a bit of a let down
- 18 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 19 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 20 Fiji Resorts for 5 nights
- 21 What is the best time to visit Australia?
- 22 New Zealand with a toddler
- 23 Gariwerd - The Grampians
- 24 New Zealand- 4 days Auckland with 2 year old)
- 25 Beautiful Spots in Australia per Conde Nast