We are a group of five guys with flights booked for a South Island trip over 10 days in mid-September.
After doing some research we have opted to take a large motorhome, primarily due to cost considerations (it wouldn't make sense in the summer, but some providers still charge their winter rates for September, which are less than half their summer rates in most cases) and just for the experience of travelling by motorhome, which none of us have had. I'm not sure how comfortable we will be, but we're willing to rough it out a little - it's only 10 days and we're in our 20s/30s.
We're quite cost-sensitive and plan to cook most of our meals, which is also why we thought a motorhome would be good. Or more to the point, we would like to spend as much of the budget as we can on activities, rather than accommodation, transport and food.
Our itinerary at the moment is:
Pick up motorhome in early morning, buy groceries, head to Tekapo. Explore. Night in Tekapo.
Heli tour with snow landing over the Mt Cook area. Head to Wanaka. Night in Wanaka.
Ski/snowboard. Night in Wanaka.
Half-day in Wanaka, head to Queenstown. Night in Queenstown.
All day Queenstown. Bungy etc. Night in Queenstown.
Head to Te Anau. Glowworm tour. Night in Te Anau.
Milford Sound cruise in the morning, then a long drive to Dunedin (one of our party studies here). Night in Dunedin.
All day Dunedin. Night in Dunedin.
Long drive to Christchurch along the coast. Drop off motorhome (the one we want is unfortunately only available until our 9th day and a couple of other preferred providers don't have any available at all for our dates!), swap for a rental car and head into the city. Night in Christchurch.
Spent the morning and afternoon in the city or general area, then to the airport in the evening.
How does this sound to you seasoned folk?
Any other feedback appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Western Australia (Denmark and New Norcia)
- 2 Christian Cafe Dating
- 3 The Christian community of parish st paul and st Antoine de padou
- 4 Itinerary questions on dream holiday
- 5 Gariwerd - The Grampians
- 6 Real estate question
- 7 Moonee Valley, Caulfield, or other track
- 8 Food to Try Out
- 9 Whale Watching - Port Stephens NSW vs. Hervey Bay QLD
- 10 Queenstown-Mt Cook road
- 11 New Zealand- 4 days Auckland with 2 year old)
- 12 7 night NZ, south island for active couple
- 13 Wainui Falls
- 14 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 15 Sydney Neighborhood for Nightlight and Sightseeing
- 16 Come join me on Rapa Nui, or Easter Island...
- 17 More authentic experience of Maori culture
- 18 Day trips from Wellington
- 19 2-week NZ Itinerary Questions
- 20 Agrodome Farm Tour
- 21 Recommended length of time for mother to visit me in NZ?
- 22 Please help create an itinerary in NZ's SI
- 23 3 days on North Island, NZ
- 24 Australia Visit in Feb'18
- 25 Kayak or cruise Milford Sound?