We are a group of five guys with flights booked for a South Island trip over 10 days in mid-September.
After doing some research we have opted to take a large motorhome, primarily due to cost considerations (it wouldn't make sense in the summer, but some providers still charge their winter rates for September, which are less than half their summer rates in most cases) and just for the experience of travelling by motorhome, which none of us have had. I'm not sure how comfortable we will be, but we're willing to rough it out a little - it's only 10 days and we're in our 20s/30s.
We're quite cost-sensitive and plan to cook most of our meals, which is also why we thought a motorhome would be good. Or more to the point, we would like to spend as much of the budget as we can on activities, rather than accommodation, transport and food.
Our itinerary at the moment is:
Pick up motorhome in early morning, buy groceries, head to Tekapo. Explore. Night in Tekapo.
Heli tour with snow landing over the Mt Cook area. Head to Wanaka. Night in Wanaka.
Ski/snowboard. Night in Wanaka.
Half-day in Wanaka, head to Queenstown. Night in Queenstown.
All day Queenstown. Bungy etc. Night in Queenstown.
Head to Te Anau. Glowworm tour. Night in Te Anau.
Milford Sound cruise in the morning, then a long drive to Dunedin (one of our party studies here). Night in Dunedin.
All day Dunedin. Night in Dunedin.
Long drive to Christchurch along the coast. Drop off motorhome (the one we want is unfortunately only available until our 9th day and a couple of other preferred providers don't have any available at all for our dates!), swap for a rental car and head into the city. Night in Christchurch.
Spent the morning and afternoon in the city or general area, then to the airport in the evening.
How does this sound to you seasoned folk?
Any other feedback appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Melbourne--in the summer is air conditioning a must ?
- 2 Opinions, pls. AU itin - Take 2
- 3 Hire car in Melbourne
- 4 Help with Australia Itinerary
- 5 Help finding affordable aprking
- 6 NZ in December with 2 kids 9 and 7
- 7 18 days nz.
- 8 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 9 9 days itinerary south and north NZ
- 10 North Island itinerary - does this work?
- 11 Tongariro NP hikes - advise please!
- 12 Present Host Parents
- 13 Six Days in New Zealand South Island
- 14 Broad Intin for Australia
- 15 New Zealand itinerary advice please
- 16 Fraser Island or Coffs harbour
- 17 Australia help
- 18 New Zealand itinerary advice please
- 19 Which company is better? if we would like to buy a SIM card
- 20 Milford Track vs Jomalhari trek in Bhutan
- 21 Ferry between islands
- 22 A Short Stay in Adelaide City
- 23 28 days to campervan around australia
- 24 9.5 days in New Zealand
- 25 hotel options in Melbourne