My husband & I will be arriving in Myanmar end of March aboard a cruise ship and we just have been notified that we'll be arriving at 5:30a instead of noon on a Saturday and we depart at 4p on Monday….so now I have more time ashore and am rethinking our plans.
My first thought was perhaps we could get a flight to Bagan that day and return late on Sunday, but i was told by a local tour operator that isn't possible…that we'd have to return Monday morning. While I would love having two nights there, I'm extremely leery about trusting domestic flights to reliably get us back Monday am when our ship departs that afternoon.
The cruise line does offer a shore excursion of an overnight to Bagan on Sunday, also returning the next morning (Monday), which is prohibitively expensive. They are trusting the airline (Asian Wings, they're using) to get the group back in time, but I don't think I can risk this on my own. Yet, I know Bagan is the highlight of Myanmar and I would really love to see it.
My alternative plan is to spend Saturday in Yangon on a private tour with a local operator, and spend the night at a hotel in Yangon (the Savoy?), and then also tour the city the next day. This way we can absorb more of Yangon at a leisurely pace, and escape to the hotel pool in the heat of the day. On Monday, I was just going to take the ships excursion to Thilawa (Syriam) to see some villages.
So, should we go for it and see Bagan….or just concentrate on Yangon? Would love to hear what you would do.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Gma!L@ INSTALLATION/SET-UP CONTACT 1-855-999-8045 TECHNICAL CAre D*J
- 2 shanghai for 4 days
- 3 Japan Itinerary Help Needed
- 4 Japan rough itinerary
- 5 7 hour layover in Beijing
- 6 Cooking class/Food Tour/Fish market tour
- 7 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 8 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 9 TRIP REPORT: Just back from first time to Japan!
- 10 Himeji Castle - luggage storage
- 11 Budget Servied Apt
- 12 What areas to stay in Singapore & Bali
- 13 Opinions on Osaka? And other burning questions...
- 14 Something about... Malaysia
- 15 China Trip - 2 Cities + Lakes, Rivers, and Rice Terraces!
- 16 Help needed for 1 week trip in Kuala Lumpur with kids
- 17 Layover in Seoul with a dog?
- 18 Please help me to start planning a trip to Bhutan
- 19 Tour Companies for Vietnam trip
- 20 Japan - Your favorite locations in Kyushu
- 21 Japan Itinerary!
- 22 Japan - itinerary help needed!
- 23 Sweltering in Saigon.
- 24 Chiang Mai, Thailand and Myanmar
- 25 First Trip to Japan in August
Would you risk flying Bagan/Yangon same day cruise departs?