My husband & I will be arriving in Myanmar end of March aboard a cruise ship and we just have been notified that we'll be arriving at 5:30a instead of noon on a Saturday and we depart at 4p on Monday….so now I have more time ashore and am rethinking our plans.
My first thought was perhaps we could get a flight to Bagan that day and return late on Sunday, but i was told by a local tour operator that isn't possible…that we'd have to return Monday morning. While I would love having two nights there, I'm extremely leery about trusting domestic flights to reliably get us back Monday am when our ship departs that afternoon.
The cruise line does offer a shore excursion of an overnight to Bagan on Sunday, also returning the next morning (Monday), which is prohibitively expensive. They are trusting the airline (Asian Wings, they're using) to get the group back in time, but I don't think I can risk this on my own. Yet, I know Bagan is the highlight of Myanmar and I would really love to see it.
My alternative plan is to spend Saturday in Yangon on a private tour with a local operator, and spend the night at a hotel in Yangon (the Savoy?), and then also tour the city the next day. This way we can absorb more of Yangon at a leisurely pace, and escape to the hotel pool in the heat of the day. On Monday, I was just going to take the ships excursion to Thilawa (Syriam) to see some villages.
So, should we go for it and see Bagan….or just concentrate on Yangon? Would love to hear what you would do.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 사설파카라 ¶¶ ( CASS 22 . COM ) ¶¶ 사설파카라
- 2 Tokyo-to do and districts
- 3 Kerala House Boat book online?
- 4 Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Sukhotai ..or even Siem Riep?:
- 5 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 6 Understanding beach destinations in Thailand
- 7 3 weeks in Japan
- 8 3 Weeks Thailand Itinerary - Advice Sought
- 9 Seeing the bats at Khao Yai, Thailand
- 10 Itinerary/tips for 2-3 weeks in Japan in Nov.
- 11 Taj Mahal under construction?
- 12 India Tour Companies
- 13 Vietnam Dong
- 14 First trip to Japan - 3 weeks, summer 2018
- 15 Appropriate Dress For The Cultural Triangle
- 16 First time in Japan in November - Request Itinerary Help
- 17 New Years in Japan
- 18 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 19 First timer to Hong Kong, Thailand & Cambodia
- 20 Touristy Thailand
- 21 Tour company for China and Southeast Asia
- 22 One week in Taiwan (is not enough!)
- 23 Vietnam with kids/teens
- 24 Myanmar tour companies
- 25 Help with 2 week Thailand itinerary
Would you risk flying Bagan/Yangon same day cruise departs?