My husband & I will be arriving in Myanmar end of March aboard a cruise ship and we just have been notified that we'll be arriving at 5:30a instead of noon on a Saturday and we depart at 4p on Monday….so now I have more time ashore and am rethinking our plans.
My first thought was perhaps we could get a flight to Bagan that day and return late on Sunday, but i was told by a local tour operator that isn't possible…that we'd have to return Monday morning. While I would love having two nights there, I'm extremely leery about trusting domestic flights to reliably get us back Monday am when our ship departs that afternoon.
The cruise line does offer a shore excursion of an overnight to Bagan on Sunday, also returning the next morning (Monday), which is prohibitively expensive. They are trusting the airline (Asian Wings, they're using) to get the group back in time, but I don't think I can risk this on my own. Yet, I know Bagan is the highlight of Myanmar and I would really love to see it.
My alternative plan is to spend Saturday in Yangon on a private tour with a local operator, and spend the night at a hotel in Yangon (the Savoy?), and then also tour the city the next day. This way we can absorb more of Yangon at a leisurely pace, and escape to the hotel pool in the heat of the day. On Monday, I was just going to take the ships excursion to Thilawa (Syriam) to see some villages.
So, should we go for it and see Bagan….or just concentrate on Yangon? Would love to hear what you would do.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 2 Booking on the fly
- 3 Singapore hotel for 3 days
- 4 Southeast Asia 2 month itinerary
- 5 Tea estates of Munnar
- 6 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!
- 7 Yogyakarta, Java. Indonesian Cuisine! - Travel Report
- 8 How many nights in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka? Organizing an itinerary?
- 9 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 10 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 11 Ferry from Selayar to Flores
- 12 Bali Honeymoon - Rec. for Quieter Northern Town
- 13 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 14 like my food
- 15 Laos or Kerala?
- 16 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 17 Portable wifi rental
- 18 21 Day Itinerary to Myanmar - Looking for Suggestions
- 19 Myanmar Itinerary -would like some help!
- 20 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 21 Duty-Free on Arrival at Hanoi Noi Bai Airport
- 22 Gluten Free in Armenia?
- 23 Uzbekistan Visa
- 24 Which Mumbai Hotel? Westin vs Marriott
- 25 Neighborhoods in Singapore, Bangkok, Cambodia
Would you risk flying Bagan/Yangon same day cruise departs?