My husband & I will be arriving in Myanmar end of March aboard a cruise ship and we just have been notified that we'll be arriving at 5:30a instead of noon on a Saturday and we depart at 4p on Monday….so now I have more time ashore and am rethinking our plans.
My first thought was perhaps we could get a flight to Bagan that day and return late on Sunday, but i was told by a local tour operator that isn't possible…that we'd have to return Monday morning. While I would love having two nights there, I'm extremely leery about trusting domestic flights to reliably get us back Monday am when our ship departs that afternoon.
The cruise line does offer a shore excursion of an overnight to Bagan on Sunday, also returning the next morning (Monday), which is prohibitively expensive. They are trusting the airline (Asian Wings, they're using) to get the group back in time, but I don't think I can risk this on my own. Yet, I know Bagan is the highlight of Myanmar and I would really love to see it.
My alternative plan is to spend Saturday in Yangon on a private tour with a local operator, and spend the night at a hotel in Yangon (the Savoy?), and then also tour the city the next day. This way we can absorb more of Yangon at a leisurely pace, and escape to the hotel pool in the heat of the day. On Monday, I was just going to take the ships excursion to Thilawa (Syriam) to see some villages.
So, should we go for it and see Bagan….or just concentrate on Yangon? Would love to hear what you would do.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 CANON printer 1:888:482:3831 installations CONTACT ☎ CANON TEC*h 24*7
- 2 Help with SEAsia itinerary
- 3 Hotel in Hanoi
- 4 Trekking outside Sapa
- 5 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan and Japan
- 6 Hoi Ann hotel
- 7 Place to stay Hue
- 8 First time to Japan - tour or independent trip?
- 9 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 10 Three Week Trip to Japan
- 11 Tasting Sri Lanka
- 12 Need help filling out my itinerary
- 13 Water Towns near Shanghai
- 14 Four Days in South Korea (Incheon and Seoul) with Baby
- 15 6-8 Weeks in South East Asia
- 16 Go to Pai or not?
- 17 Thai Silk in Bangkok
- 18 The Princess Journeys To Sri Lanka and South India
- 19 Thai Island Itinerary
- 20 Thailand
- 21 Aomori to Hirosaki
- 22 Asian Pillows
- 23 Floods in North and Central Vietnam
- 24 North Korea Day Trip
- 25 36 Hours in Manila with a Baby and Seeking Hotel Recommendations
Would you risk flying Bagan/Yangon same day cruise departs?