I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Best place to replenish my Japanese currency?
- 2 Gutted!
- 3 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 4 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 5 5 weeks in Japan
- 6 Sunday Brunch in Thailand
- 7 My visit to Lao
- 8 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 9 My visit to Thailand
- 10 proposed itinerary for 14 nights Feb. 2016
- 11 Vietnam and Cambodia opinions needed!
- 12 Family Trip to Japan
- 13 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 14 India Trip Three - Am I crazy?
- 15 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 16 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 17 Question about jungles (sumatra, borneo) and forest fires
- 18 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 19 Please comment on our 19 day itinerary for March 2016
- 20 New Member
- 21 Restaurants in Chennai, Kanchipurum and Pondicherry
- 22 Tashi Delek: trip report from Bhutan 2015
- 23 Hong Kong Trip Report November 2015
- 24 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 25 3 weeks backpacking in Vietnam