I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 help with SE Asia itinerary
- 2 9 days in Bali
- 3 Are personal tour guides in Tokyo and Kyoto work the cost?
- 4 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings
- 5 A fun week in Bangkok!
- 6 Italy from an Asian base
- 7 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 8 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 9 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 10 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 11 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 12 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 13 Activation of JR Pass
- 14 Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Kyoto-Tokyo---Step by step process
- 15 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 16 My new 10 year china visa
- 17 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 18 Bus travel Luang Prabang to Xishuangbanna. Anyone?
- 19 Layover in Hong Kong
- 20 Trip to Thailand - advice
- 21 5 weeks in Japan - Autumn 2011 Trip Report
- 22 2 weeks in Java
- 23 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 24 Japan SIM / Phone Data Options
- 25 Hotel with easy access to Itami airport