I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
"Winging It" in Sri Lanka
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Help needed
- 2 Going to Thailand!
- 3 PERFUME OR THU BON RIVER
- 4 Two questions about Thailand
- 5 Airbnb in HK: any info?
- 6 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 7 Bali - January 2015
- 8 Please comment re. itinerary for Indochina
- 9 The age-old question: best time allocation in short trip?
- 10 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 11 Stop-over in Seoul
- 12 2 week Japan itinerary
- 13 Hong Kong in June - Oh The Humidity!!
- 14 Need help planning a trip to Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam
- 15 Visa Cambodia
- 16 Sri Lanka itinerary-please critic
- 17 Taken to the police station for not carrying documents... please, help!
- 18 Guide/Driver for Mumbai,
- 19 Pai in N. Thailand? Worth it?
- 20 Day trip by car from Kyoto?
- 21 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Sri Lanka Not Bangladesh
- 22 Our favorite hotels and restaurants of Bali – Ubud, Amed, Pemuteran
- 23 meeting at beijing airport
- 24 One week in Tokyo
- 25 Suggestions for bike tour operators that offer smaller tours (4-5 days)