I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Thoughts on this itinerary
- 2 It can be cheap but awesome!
- 3 Totally unprepared
- 4 Yogyakarta - Prambanan and Borobudur Travel Report
- 5 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 6 Shanghai Airpor overnight
- 7 Chengdu, China - Giant Panda Research Base Travel Report
- 8 Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?
- 9 Rental Car Bali
- 10 1 day in Bangkok Itinerary for Honeymoon
- 11 Kyoto & Tokyo tips
- 12 Good Eats in Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai
- 13 A great trip in India
- 14 Itinerary 3-1/2 week trip to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand
- 15 Krabi, Koh Lanta or other
- 16 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 17 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 18 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 19 Beggars in Siem Reap and Angkor
- 20 Some notes about South Korea
- 21 Tokyo Itinerary Help please
- 22 A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
- 23 Burma itinerary critic.
- 24 Fabric shops in India
- 25 Japan Itinerary Help for April 2017