I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 shibuya bunka project
- 2 2 Week Honeymoon in Singapore and Indonesia
- 3 Hotels in Krabi area
- 4 base in Osaka or Kyoto question
- 5 Train Travel in Thailand
- 6 Te Best Luxury Ryokans in Japan
- 7 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 8 David's First Draft Itinerary for Sakura 2017
- 9 Tokyo hotels
- 10 New luxury hotel in Singapore
- 11 India 1st Time Itinerary Revised - HELP!
- 12 19 Day Sri Lanka Itinerary - Advice Needed!
- 13 options on 2 potential itineraries
- 14 Booking hotels for Japan in April 2017
- 15 Adventures Abroad
- 16 4.5 days in Singapore
- 17 5 day rain-free trip in India
- 18 Ryokan in Hakone - best location?
- 19 Hakone question
- 20 "Ishaani" and "Ranvir" return from 2 weeks in Uzbekistan
- 21 Advise on visting Hokkaido to photograph cranes
- 22 Question about travel to Mae Sot
- 23 Oh dear. Japan's 7-11 cash machines have just been robbed.
- 24 Japan tickets purchased a itinerary help needed
- 25 Phillipines with two young children in December