I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 What are the places to visit in Sikkim
- 2 China itinerary
- 3 Castle & King tour operator review
- 4 Thailand and Myanmar-Hot Hot Hot!
- 5 June 4-10 accommodations near Minzu University (Beijing)?
- 6 Skip Vientaine, a mistake?
- 7 NRT 21 hrs layover, need help with train schedule
- 8 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 9 Advice Sought On East Malaysia Itinerary
- 10 First trip to Japan
- 11 Immigration/customs Turkey to Pakistan
- 12 Calling habitués of Chiang Rai.
- 13 8.5 Days in India - Insane?
- 14 Best eats near Minzu University in Beijing? (June-August 2015 trip)
- 15 Travel to Singapore & Area with Husband and 2 teenage boys
- 16 Driver recommendation in Bali
- 17 Amazing service - Himalayan Leaders
- 18 The Best Exotic Off-Season Holiday: Udaipur/Varanasi/Agra/ Delhi
- 19 Tauck or Abercrombie and Kent or Louise Nicholson
- 20 Northern India in June
- 21 Hakone Free Pass
- 22 Tour Payment Deposit to Castle and King
- 23 OAT trip to India
- 24 Thailand Itinerary...which order?
- 25 Chiang Mai...should we?