I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
"Winging It" in Sri Lanka
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Java, Bali, Rinca, Borneo, Siem Reap
- 2 Japan--Visiting Saihoji (Moss Temple)
- 3 Inle lake ... Budget hotel w/ AC?
- 4 One night in Bangkok ... Btw 2 airports
- 5 What's the Best Area to Stay in Seoul for a First-Timer?
- 6 South Chaweng beach Hotel Recommendations?
- 7 Luang Prabang -- budget guesthouse?
- 8 Travel during China national week?
- 9 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 10 Thailand and where else in December? Sweden, Australia, Asian cruise?
- 11 Feedback on India Tour specifics
- 12 Hong Kong for Chinese New Year 2015
- 13 Angkor - when to go?
- 14 Nha Trang Island, Phu Quoc, or Sihanoukville
- 15 Honeymoon in december 2014
- 16 India with 4 kids
- 17 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 18 Destination Bangkok, again
- 19 And there goes the neighborhood........
- 20 trip to sapa not taking a tour
- 21 Hong Kong in June - Oh The Humidity!!
- 22 Jeep Safari in Bandhavgarh National Park, India
- 23 Shanghai, reasonable hotel near the Bund and public transport
- 24 15 Days in Japan, Itinerary Help Please
- 25 Bhutan, Nepal or both (in about 3 weeks?)