I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Tips for PNG (Varirata NP & POM stay)
- 2 Japan Trip 3 - Initial Loose Planning
- 3 March Trip - Where to Go?
- 4 Seeking Vietnam Itinerary Advice
- 5 Burma or Laos.
- 6 2-3 nights in Ubud, where to stay?
- 7 What to do with 2 weeks on honeymoon in Paradise Bali
- 8 Burma and Vietnam, when to go.
- 9 Early planning for yet another "second trip" to Japan
- 10 Planning a 2-week trip to Thailand in mid-August
- 11 Vietnam - September 2015
- 12 hanoi eats
- 13 Hakone accommodation options
- 14 Finally, Smeagol and Muffins Japanese adventure begins.....
- 15 Off the beaten track in Japan (Recommendation, please)
- 16 Visa
- 17 Comments please on 6 week South India Itinerary
- 18 Restaurants
- 19 My First Passage to India
- 20 Northern Vietnam Itinerary
- 21 Castle & King tour operator review
- 22 Indiana to India Via Texas
- 23 International Schools in Palolem / South Goa
- 24 Vietnam Visa Exemption
- 25 Sri Lanka plan