I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
"Winging It" in Sri Lanka
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Hotel or Air First for Japan?
- 2 KTM via nonstop United Business toChengdu vs Asiana Chengdu via Seoul
- 3 visiting Sapa and local markets
- 4 Kathie's Machu Picchu trip report is now available
- 5 Ubud - Home Rental Locations?
- 6 Help! Which to choose?
- 7 North Vietnam Again!
- 8 Castle & King
- 9 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 10 Unforgettable visit to Leh-Ladakh, India
- 11 India: Visa on arrival for USA psprt
- 12 One week in Thailand
- 13 In Chiang Mai Thailand
- 14 Indonesia for 10 days with kids
- 15 6-7 months in SE Asia (majority in Thailand) - visa, weather, meet-up ?s
- 16 India and Nepal 2014
- 17 Independent female traveller
- 18 Tour company practices
- 19 Saigon - Hotel Majestic Xmas Ornament - free
- 20 Thailand Honeymoon - HELP NEEDED!
- 21 The City, the River, the Jungle: Our Holiday in Kuching - Borneo
- 22 Festival tour in Tibet in this season 2015
- 23 Safe for solo female travel in Malaysia?
- 24 Passport Safety
- 25 Need suggestions for solo trip (2-3 weeks, next May)