I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Shanghai to Guilin Weekend Trip-July
- 2 5 days Japan
- 3 A graduation celebration: Two weeks in Singapore, Java and Bali
- 4 Castle & King tour questions
- 5 A train ride through Java
- 6 Sri Lanka east cost beaches
- 7 My First India Trip
- 8 Kathie’s Return to Jogja
- 9 Would This Deter You From Flying On Lao Airlines?
- 10 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 11 Ha Giang or SaPa
- 12 My Daughter's 13th Birthday Trip to Tokyo!
- 13 Shanghai, Xi'an, Beijing
- 14 JAPANiCAN.com
- 15 Kyoto, Nara, Osaka - 9 days
- 16 Tour Payment Deposit to Castle and King
- 17 2+3 days in Hong Kong - help w. planning
- 18 Bicycle riding required?
- 19 hanoi eats
- 20 SE Asia 2014 trip report
- 21 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 22 Malaysia travel route help!
- 23 3 weeks itinerary China
- 24 Just back from Sabah, Borneo -- Trip report!!!
- 25 Yangon Made Easy