I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 2 14 days in Myanmar
- 3 Harbin in mid March
- 4 Are 8 days enough for this itinerary ?
- 5 Changing planes at Dubai
- 6 Chestnuts, Hokusai, Snow Monkeys: two day trip to Obuse & Shibu Onsen
- 7 50th Anniversary trip
- 8 Recommended novel for those visiting (or who have visited ) Cambodia
- 9 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 10 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 11 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 12 Indian Food Series
- 13 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 14 "necessities" for India
- 15 Osaka-Kyoto-Shiragawa-Tokyo
- 16 New Year Eve in Hanoi
- 17 Early planning for Kazakhstan and Mongolia
- 18 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 19 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 20 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 21 Short trip to Myanmar
- 22 ATMs in Japan
- 23 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 24 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 25 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report