I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Spontaneous trip to Japan
- 2 traveling Japan for 2 months--cities to base in?
- 3 Family Japan Trip August 2016
- 4 Need help choosing a tour company.
- 5 BKK Street Food Disappearing per BBC
- 6 Questions on Details for 23 Days in Japan
- 7 Best area to stay in Tokyo
- 8 MT. Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo
- 9 Agoda for Myanmar hotels
- 10 Ayutthaya & Bangkok - Travel Report
- 11 My plans 5 days japan 1 korea
- 12 Kyoto to Tokyo on December 31?
- 13 AirAsia from DMK (vs. other airlines from BKK) to Siem Reap
- 14 Earthquake in Myanmar
- 15 Have you stayed at Dormy Inn Expres s Asakusa ?
- 16 Hakone and Mt Fuji
- 17 Ferrari Hire Bangkok
- 18 A great trip in India
- 19 Back to Bangkok this month!
- 20 Burma in Jan, weather questions.
- 21 Onsen ryokan for single near Tokyo
- 22 Rangoon and Lake Inle, how many days?
- 23 Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?
- 24 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 25 A new opportunity to interact with elephants in Thailand