I'm traveling to Sri Lanka from mid-September to mid-December. For the first 1 1/2 months I will be staying near Uda Walawe National Park. That is taken care of.
For the next 1 1/2 months, I want to travel to the major cities and sites such as Kandy, Sinharaja Rainforest, Ratnapura, Adam's Peak, possibly Jaffna and elsewhere in the north, and more. I have not made any reservations at hotels and have not contacted any drivers for this portion of my stay, because I don't want to need to be at such and such a place at such and such a time. I want to be able to linger and launch, depending on the opportunity that presents itself.
Since from November to mid-December is pretty much the least touristy time of the year (correct me if I'm wrong), I figure that I will not need advance bookings. I plan on finding hotels and guesthouses as I go. Is this an accurate statement, and possible?
Also, as far as getting around, I know that there is public transportation such as buses to places like Kandy, but what about the smaller locales and sites? Again, I am hesitant to book beforehand because I want to be as little restricted as I can -- also, I am trying to keep costs down, so I definitely am not keen on going with a tour group. Is it possible to find REPUTABLE drivers as I go, from hotels, for instance, rather than getting them beforehand?
"Winging It" in Sri Lanka
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 2 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 3 Some advice on our latest Japan itinerary please?
- 4 A wow spot
- 5 Terrible experience with BLS international Houston
- 6 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 7 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 8 Reading Suggestion for Burma
- 9 T Money or Seoul City Pass Plus
- 10 Can I arrive 5 days earlier then stated on VISA application?
- 11 Considering a month in Hong Kong - Feb/15. Any apartment suggestions?
- 12 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 13 Craig and Jeane Depart for Australia and Bali
- 14 Thailand Hotel HELP
- 15 British tourists murdered in Koh Tao
- 16 Bangkok GTG early November ?
- 17 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?
- 18 Travel during China national week?
- 19 Where to stay in Hong Kong and Macau
- 20 Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities
- 21 Please comment re. itinerary for Indochina
- 22 When to go to Japan in April 2015 (blossoms but avoiding Golden Week)
- 23 Burma (Myanmar) proposed itinerary
- 24 climbing in Vietnam
- 25 Vegan food in Japan?