Based on what I've read here I decided that VOA was the way to go. We are using Tonkin Travel for our Vietnam arrangements (incredibly responsive) so I asked them about doing the paperwork for VOA. Today I received an email warning me that if other international flights arrive at the same time the wait can be very long. Since we don't have a consulate nearby I'm debating sending the passports to DC, even though we are leaving in a month. The embassy website mentions something called a "loose paper visa" which doesn't require sending the actual passport, just a copy. An unanticipated difficulty is that the website does not give the fees. (The state dept. warns that the fees are variable and not stated.) Anybody tried the loose paper visa? I hate the thought of standing in a long line with a hungry impatient husband. And I don't want to even consider the possibility of having to replace passports during the holidays.
Wait time for Vietnam visa on arrival
View all Asia activity »
- 1 Malaysia and Thailand 2013 travelogues
- 2 Ratings of kaiseki meals at ryokans in Japan?
- 3 SINGAPORE OR CAMBODIA??? (April Honeymoon)
- 4 Magical India
- 5 geisha performance
- 6 Draft itinerary - appreciate some input
- 7 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 8 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 9 Fresh Hearts and Egg Tarts: Our Silver Jubilee in Hong Kong & Macau
- 10 Dread long flights USA to/from BKK
- 11 Tibet and Nepal in 2 weeks?
- 12 Trip report China
- 13 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 14 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 15 Any recommendations for drivers in Beijing?
- 16 Traveling on Makha Bucha in Thailand
- 17 Xian Crystal Mooncake
- 18 Shopping for hotels for Feb.
- 19 Seoul, Korea Accommodation / Restaurants
- 20 Car Parking at Uno Port
- 21 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 22 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!
- 23 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 24 Thai Visa Options for longer/ multiple stays
- 25 Visiting the Huangshan Area Without Climbing the Mountain