Based on what I've read here I decided that VOA was the way to go. We are using Tonkin Travel for our Vietnam arrangements (incredibly responsive) so I asked them about doing the paperwork for VOA. Today I received an email warning me that if other international flights arrive at the same time the wait can be very long. Since we don't have a consulate nearby I'm debating sending the passports to DC, even though we are leaving in a month. The embassy website mentions something called a "loose paper visa" which doesn't require sending the actual passport, just a copy. An unanticipated difficulty is that the website does not give the fees. (The state dept. warns that the fees are variable and not stated.) Anybody tried the loose paper visa? I hate the thought of standing in a long line with a hungry impatient husband. And I don't want to even consider the possibility of having to replace passports during the holidays.
Wait time for Vietnam visa on arrival
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Discover Xian
- 2 Advice Sought On East Malaysia Itinerary
- 3 Sri Lanka - Does this seem right?
- 4 Undergraduate research on tourism in Southeast Asia
- 5 When I 31 with and yeah card good
- 6 Place to stay at Muine Phan Thiet, Vietnam?
- 7 BEST OF NORTH VIET NAM TOUR
- 8 BEST THING TO DO IN SAPA OF VIET NAM
- 9 Where best to stay in Penang
- 10 Travels to Vietnam and Cambodia
- 11 Bangkok, here I come! Yes, again!!
- 12 Annapurna and Myanmar Circuits in May
- 13 China, Hong Kong, Tibet
- 14 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 15 MSG in Hong Kong?
- 16 Mt Wutai or Mt Tai
- 17 Thoughts on 2-3 week Myanmar itinerary? And local artists/galleries?
- 18 Visa for Burma/Myanmar from US Embassy in DC?
- 19 Thanks for helping make my trip to China amazing!
- 20 Haneda Airport to Narita Airport
- 21 Restaurants in Singapore
- 22 Kyoto for 3 full days - help with itinerary suggestions!
- 23 Seeking suggestions for our Nepal time in November. Do we need masks?
- 24 Where to go?
- 25 Kerala, India - 10 day holiday