Hello fellow Fodorites!
I apologize for my delayed trip report, but better late then never. (and more to come on
our Burma trip, I promise!)
But just to give a bit of a background to my blog link with pics, I'll fill in a couple of blanks.
I've been to Elephant Nature Park for the Past 2 years with my 18 year old son and obviously, we love it. We've made it "our thing". The blog link will explain that.
But here's the the tactical details I left out in my blog:
They pick you up from your hotel on a Monday morning and bring you to their office.
After finishing up some paperwork you get a volunteer t-shirt and much needed water bottle.
The vans bring you up to the park and the ride is about an hour and 15 minutes.
Accomodations are rustic, simple but very clean.
Food is terrific, all vegetarian, but not a problem for us.
Be prepared to work and bring clothing you don't mind getting real dirty or ruined. You really do work! Basically, you're broken into groups and given 2 volunteer activities a day.
Those being: shoveling poo, elephant kitchen duties, cutting grass, cutting corn, planting new crops, painting walls ,fixing fences. and the favorite, visiting the local school. You do get down time in the mid afternoon. My son and I would usually go to the dog shelter and help out there. In the evening the local ladies come to the park to give Thai massages. That cost is about $5 and they're really terrific. They also have evening activities for about 4 of the 6 nights we were there.
Basically, it's just like summer camp. The other volunteers you meet are terrific, all ages and from all over the world. And the staff is terrific too.
I think my blog post and pics really say what I think about this place is all about, so take a look.
And If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Volunteering at Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai
Hello fellow Fodorites!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 rkkwan's Nepal trip Sept 2014 - Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek
- 2 Craig and Jeane Depart for Australia and Bali
- 3 Need help with Myanmar itinerary
- 4 [Discownt.com] 50% + 73% Coupon Tradition Designer Handbag
- 5 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 6 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 7 Trying To Decide Between These 2 Hotels In Singapore
- 8 Hotels reasonable priced near the Four Seasons
- 9 beaches in Thailand
- 10 Krabi island tours
- 11 Anatara Riverside Bangkok
- 12 Effectively its absolutely appeared using a beneficial
- 13 Hong Kong Winter Weather
- 14 My SEA trip : 2 months
- 15 Hong Kong Island Hotels - Far From Central
- 16 Travelling with 3 yr old; please comment on 10 day itinerary
- 17 Ryoken recommendation pls either in Tokyo;Hiroshima;Kyoto?
- 18 A little help with my Burma plan..
- 19 Travel & leisure reports Burma as one of most dangerous countries to visit
- 20 Staying 3 nights in Jaisalmer, what attractions we should see
- 21 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?
- 22 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 23 Kyushu rail pass
- 24 6 full days in Yagoon
- 25 Juphal and dunai help needed