Hello fellow Fodorites!
I apologize for my delayed trip report, but better late then never. (and more to come on
our Burma trip, I promise!)
But just to give a bit of a background to my blog link with pics, I'll fill in a couple of blanks.
I've been to Elephant Nature Park for the Past 2 years with my 18 year old son and obviously, we love it. We've made it "our thing". The blog link will explain that.
But here's the the tactical details I left out in my blog:
They pick you up from your hotel on a Monday morning and bring you to their office.
After finishing up some paperwork you get a volunteer t-shirt and much needed water bottle.
The vans bring you up to the park and the ride is about an hour and 15 minutes.
Accomodations are rustic, simple but very clean.
Food is terrific, all vegetarian, but not a problem for us.
Be prepared to work and bring clothing you don't mind getting real dirty or ruined. You really do work! Basically, you're broken into groups and given 2 volunteer activities a day.
Those being: shoveling poo, elephant kitchen duties, cutting grass, cutting corn, planting new crops, painting walls ,fixing fences. and the favorite, visiting the local school. You do get down time in the mid afternoon. My son and I would usually go to the dog shelter and help out there. In the evening the local ladies come to the park to give Thai massages. That cost is about $5 and they're really terrific. They also have evening activities for about 4 of the 6 nights we were there.
Basically, it's just like summer camp. The other volunteers you meet are terrific, all ages and from all over the world. And the staff is terrific too.
I think my blog post and pics really say what I think about this place is all about, so take a look.
And If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Volunteering at Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai
Hello fellow Fodorites!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 HELP! BKK, UdonThani&Beach Budget Family
- 2 One week in India
- 3 Hotel or Air First for Japan?
- 4 Independent female traveller
- 5 Itinerary for Second Visit to Japan
- 6 End of March - Seeking a fabulous ryokan relatively near Tokyo for 2 nights
- 7 Castle & King
- 8 North Vietnam Again!
- 9 In Chiang Mai Thailand
- 10 The City, the River, the Jungle: Our Holiday in Kuching - Borneo
- 11 Bangkok airport taxi options
- 12 Final Itinerary Kyoto area through Kamakura (skipping Tokyo this trip)
- 13 Complex Travel Group - Doable? Safe?
- 14 Smeagol and Muffin in Sri Lanka ( and a quick stop in Dubai)
- 15 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 16 Shoe/sock étiquette for temple viewing
- 17 6 nights at Bahdhavgahr, or split between Bandhavgarg and Kanha?
- 18 Where to stay for 2-3 nights between Tsumago and Hakone April 2015
- 19 10 Days in Vietnam/Thailand/Cambodia
- 20 Borneo or Sri Lanka for vacation?
- 21 reviews wanted for Sinorama tour company
- 22 We Recommend Our Guides! Saigon, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Angkor
- 23 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 24 Anyone visit an Orphanage while in Sri Lanka???-Want to help if we can
- 25 Has anyone seen any tandem bicycle rentals in Luang Prabang?