Hello fellow Fodorites!
I apologize for my delayed trip report, but better late then never. (and more to come on
our Burma trip, I promise!)
But just to give a bit of a background to my blog link with pics, I'll fill in a couple of blanks.
I've been to Elephant Nature Park for the Past 2 years with my 18 year old son and obviously, we love it. We've made it "our thing". The blog link will explain that.
But here's the the tactical details I left out in my blog:
They pick you up from your hotel on a Monday morning and bring you to their office.
After finishing up some paperwork you get a volunteer t-shirt and much needed water bottle.
The vans bring you up to the park and the ride is about an hour and 15 minutes.
Accomodations are rustic, simple but very clean.
Food is terrific, all vegetarian, but not a problem for us.
Be prepared to work and bring clothing you don't mind getting real dirty or ruined. You really do work! Basically, you're broken into groups and given 2 volunteer activities a day.
Those being: shoveling poo, elephant kitchen duties, cutting grass, cutting corn, planting new crops, painting walls ,fixing fences. and the favorite, visiting the local school. You do get down time in the mid afternoon. My son and I would usually go to the dog shelter and help out there. In the evening the local ladies come to the park to give Thai massages. That cost is about $5 and they're really terrific. They also have evening activities for about 4 of the 6 nights we were there.
Basically, it's just like summer camp. The other volunteers you meet are terrific, all ages and from all over the world. And the staff is terrific too.
I think my blog post and pics really say what I think about this place is all about, so take a look.
And If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 2 Best (and safest) Place to see the Himalayas
- 3 Mumbai short visit
- 4 K2 Base Camp Trek; Wondrous Experience!
- 5 Pakistan Forum/ Unfriendly
- 6 Japan Itinerary for 12 Nights and 13 Days
- 7 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 8 Thailand Guides
- 9 Bangkok in 3 days - Weekdays
- 10 For those traveling to Bali soon
- 11 Feedback on Kyushu itinerary
- 12 Experiance /More Than 120 Countries
- 13 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 14 Phuket Beaches
- 15 India itinerary critique please
- 16 Japan Itinerary!
- 17 A short trip report of Vietnam, Dec 2016
- 18 cross from Ketapang in Java to Gilimanuk in Bali
- 19 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 20 Magical India
- 21 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 22 Need for promethium sprayed mosquito nets for SEAsia travel
- 23 Vientiane and ??
- 24 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 25 Possible itinerary - 4 days in Georgia
Volunteering at Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai
Hello fellow Fodorites!