Hello fellow Fodorites!
I apologize for my delayed trip report, but better late then never. (and more to come on
our Burma trip, I promise!)
But just to give a bit of a background to my blog link with pics, I'll fill in a couple of blanks.
I've been to Elephant Nature Park for the Past 2 years with my 18 year old son and obviously, we love it. We've made it "our thing". The blog link will explain that.
But here's the the tactical details I left out in my blog:
They pick you up from your hotel on a Monday morning and bring you to their office.
After finishing up some paperwork you get a volunteer t-shirt and much needed water bottle.
The vans bring you up to the park and the ride is about an hour and 15 minutes.
Accomodations are rustic, simple but very clean.
Food is terrific, all vegetarian, but not a problem for us.
Be prepared to work and bring clothing you don't mind getting real dirty or ruined. You really do work! Basically, you're broken into groups and given 2 volunteer activities a day.
Those being: shoveling poo, elephant kitchen duties, cutting grass, cutting corn, planting new crops, painting walls ,fixing fences. and the favorite, visiting the local school. You do get down time in the mid afternoon. My son and I would usually go to the dog shelter and help out there. In the evening the local ladies come to the park to give Thai massages. That cost is about $5 and they're really terrific. They also have evening activities for about 4 of the 6 nights we were there.
Basically, it's just like summer camp. The other volunteers you meet are terrific, all ages and from all over the world. And the staff is terrific too.
I think my blog post and pics really say what I think about this place is all about, so take a look.
And If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 How to avoid MSG in China?
- 2 Thailand and ? 4 weeks summer 2016
- 3 Is Dalat worth a visit?
- 4 Sweltering, steamy, sizzingly southern India--It was hot!
- 5 Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly
- 6 One month in Java and Bali
- 7 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 8 1 week rental in Kyoto (machiya / apartment)
- 9 Last Minute Advice for my First Visit to Japan
- 10 Langkawi
- 11 Early planning for yet another "second trip" to Japan
- 12 Last Minute 3 week Japan Trip *HELP!*
- 13 Safety of KKH
- 14 SE Asia Mid October
- 15 Honeymoon - Advice Needed
- 16 Inoculations for Vietnam & Camboda
- 17 Visa Service Referral Needed
- 18 Road trip to Rajasthan
- 19 "Ishaani" and "Ranvir" return from 2 weeks in Uzbekistan
- 20 Nepal - Safe to Go Mid Oct? Earthquakes + Political Unrest
- 21 Rerouting My Itinerary/April 2016
- 22 Itinerary Hong Kong and Japan - 12 full days
- 23 Lantau Island in November - Need your wisdom
- 24 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 25 Vietnam, or ?, Cruise, or ?
Volunteering at Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai
Hello fellow Fodorites!