Hello fellow Fodorites!
I apologize for my delayed trip report, but better late then never. (and more to come on
our Burma trip, I promise!)
But just to give a bit of a background to my blog link with pics, I'll fill in a couple of blanks.
I've been to Elephant Nature Park for the Past 2 years with my 18 year old son and obviously, we love it. We've made it "our thing". The blog link will explain that.
But here's the the tactical details I left out in my blog:
They pick you up from your hotel on a Monday morning and bring you to their office.
After finishing up some paperwork you get a volunteer t-shirt and much needed water bottle.
The vans bring you up to the park and the ride is about an hour and 15 minutes.
Accomodations are rustic, simple but very clean.
Food is terrific, all vegetarian, but not a problem for us.
Be prepared to work and bring clothing you don't mind getting real dirty or ruined. You really do work! Basically, you're broken into groups and given 2 volunteer activities a day.
Those being: shoveling poo, elephant kitchen duties, cutting grass, cutting corn, planting new crops, painting walls ,fixing fences. and the favorite, visiting the local school. You do get down time in the mid afternoon. My son and I would usually go to the dog shelter and help out there. In the evening the local ladies come to the park to give Thai massages. That cost is about $5 and they're really terrific. They also have evening activities for about 4 of the 6 nights we were there.
Basically, it's just like summer camp. The other volunteers you meet are terrific, all ages and from all over the world. And the staff is terrific too.
I think my blog post and pics really say what I think about this place is all about, so take a look.
And If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Volunteering at Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai
Hello fellow Fodorites!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Restaurants in Singapore
- 2 Bangkok, here I come! Yes, again!!
- 3 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 4 Kyoto for 3 full days - help with itinerary suggestions!
- 5 Seeking suggestions for our Nepal time in November. Do we need masks?
- 6 Where to go?
- 7 Kerala, India - 10 day holiday
- 8 2015 Cherry Blossom Forecast Published
- 9 Comment please re stops during drive from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong
- 10 suggestions for 3 adults sharing 1 room in Japan
- 11 S E Asia part of our Round the World Trip
- 12 Mt Wutai or Mt Tai
- 13 Which airport for Tokyo
- 14 Victoria Peak Hong Kong Question
- 15 Saturday or Sunday for guided tour not too far from Chiang Mai?
- 16 MSG in Hong Kong?
- 17 newbie solo traveler! budget traveling Japan for a month
- 18 Rain in Hong Kong next week
- 19 Private transfer from Amritsar to Wahga Border
- 20 India at the end of May
- 21 Books on Japanese mythology or novels inspired by it
- 22 14 Days in Myanmar over the Holidays
- 23 should i stay in Bali longer for the july 15 holiday ?
- 24 Great Wall hike
- 25 Georgia e-visa application