Hello fellow Fodorites!
I apologize for my delayed trip report, but better late then never. (and more to come on
our Burma trip, I promise!)
But just to give a bit of a background to my blog link with pics, I'll fill in a couple of blanks.
I've been to Elephant Nature Park for the Past 2 years with my 18 year old son and obviously, we love it. We've made it "our thing". The blog link will explain that.
But here's the the tactical details I left out in my blog:
They pick you up from your hotel on a Monday morning and bring you to their office.
After finishing up some paperwork you get a volunteer t-shirt and much needed water bottle.
The vans bring you up to the park and the ride is about an hour and 15 minutes.
Accomodations are rustic, simple but very clean.
Food is terrific, all vegetarian, but not a problem for us.
Be prepared to work and bring clothing you don't mind getting real dirty or ruined. You really do work! Basically, you're broken into groups and given 2 volunteer activities a day.
Those being: shoveling poo, elephant kitchen duties, cutting grass, cutting corn, planting new crops, painting walls ,fixing fences. and the favorite, visiting the local school. You do get down time in the mid afternoon. My son and I would usually go to the dog shelter and help out there. In the evening the local ladies come to the park to give Thai massages. That cost is about $5 and they're really terrific. They also have evening activities for about 4 of the 6 nights we were there.
Basically, it's just like summer camp. The other volunteers you meet are terrific, all ages and from all over the world. And the staff is terrific too.
I think my blog post and pics really say what I think about this place is all about, so take a look.
And If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Volunteering at Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai
Hello fellow Fodorites!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 two free days in Beijing
- 2 China in 12 Days
- 3 Top ten historical monuments in India - what is yours?
- 4 Japan - spending money?
- 5 April in Bangkok, again!
- 6 Nepal
- 7 Hong Kong in August - hotel question
- 8 hotels in Singapore-1st time there
- 9 Travel agencies in India e.g. Legends and Palaces, Castle and King
- 10 1st Trip to Bali
- 11 Finally Going To Bali! Please Help With Flight and Alam Shanti Question
- 12 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 13 Headed to Thailand this June/July--Help!!
- 14 7 days in Nepal, any suggestions?
- 15 Your thoughts on Nepal and how long to visit
- 16 water villages, shanghai
- 17 language problem in japan
- 18 Japan Itinerary and JR pass questions/China 72-hour Visafree question
- 19 Help with Malaysia itinerary
- 20 Private Guide in Chiang Mai
- 21 last minute plan to visit Sapa, Vietnam -- help
- 22 Truly a one day suit in Hong Kong?
- 23 Haneda to Narita Layover : Need advice
- 24 North India trip report with Castle and King tour company
- 25 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea