Hello fellow Fodorites!
I apologize for my delayed trip report, but better late then never. (and more to come on
our Burma trip, I promise!)
But just to give a bit of a background to my blog link with pics, I'll fill in a couple of blanks.
I've been to Elephant Nature Park for the Past 2 years with my 18 year old son and obviously, we love it. We've made it "our thing". The blog link will explain that.
But here's the the tactical details I left out in my blog:
They pick you up from your hotel on a Monday morning and bring you to their office.
After finishing up some paperwork you get a volunteer t-shirt and much needed water bottle.
The vans bring you up to the park and the ride is about an hour and 15 minutes.
Accomodations are rustic, simple but very clean.
Food is terrific, all vegetarian, but not a problem for us.
Be prepared to work and bring clothing you don't mind getting real dirty or ruined. You really do work! Basically, you're broken into groups and given 2 volunteer activities a day.
Those being: shoveling poo, elephant kitchen duties, cutting grass, cutting corn, planting new crops, painting walls ,fixing fences. and the favorite, visiting the local school. You do get down time in the mid afternoon. My son and I would usually go to the dog shelter and help out there. In the evening the local ladies come to the park to give Thai massages. That cost is about $5 and they're really terrific. They also have evening activities for about 4 of the 6 nights we were there.
Basically, it's just like summer camp. The other volunteers you meet are terrific, all ages and from all over the world. And the staff is terrific too.
I think my blog post and pics really say what I think about this place is all about, so take a look.
And If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 5 weeks in Japan
- 2 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 3 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 4 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 5 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 6 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 7 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 8 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 9 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 10 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 11 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 12 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 13 Lodge in Borneo
- 14 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 15 China and Japan help
- 16 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 17 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 18 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 19 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 20 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 21 Requesting Passport Number
- 22 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 23 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 24 Phu Quoc
- 25 looking for Vietnam based TA to help plan trip
Volunteering at Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai
Hello fellow Fodorites!