Hello fellow Fodorites!
I apologize for my delayed trip report, but better late then never. (and more to come on
our Burma trip, I promise!)
But just to give a bit of a background to my blog link with pics, I'll fill in a couple of blanks.
I've been to Elephant Nature Park for the Past 2 years with my 18 year old son and obviously, we love it. We've made it "our thing". The blog link will explain that.
But here's the the tactical details I left out in my blog:
They pick you up from your hotel on a Monday morning and bring you to their office.
After finishing up some paperwork you get a volunteer t-shirt and much needed water bottle.
The vans bring you up to the park and the ride is about an hour and 15 minutes.
Accomodations are rustic, simple but very clean.
Food is terrific, all vegetarian, but not a problem for us.
Be prepared to work and bring clothing you don't mind getting real dirty or ruined. You really do work! Basically, you're broken into groups and given 2 volunteer activities a day.
Those being: shoveling poo, elephant kitchen duties, cutting grass, cutting corn, planting new crops, painting walls ,fixing fences. and the favorite, visiting the local school. You do get down time in the mid afternoon. My son and I would usually go to the dog shelter and help out there. In the evening the local ladies come to the park to give Thai massages. That cost is about $5 and they're really terrific. They also have evening activities for about 4 of the 6 nights we were there.
Basically, it's just like summer camp. The other volunteers you meet are terrific, all ages and from all over the world. And the staff is terrific too.
I think my blog post and pics really say what I think about this place is all about, so take a look.
And If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Taxis at Mumbai airport
- 2 Hang Son Doong Cave in Vietnam
- 3 A new opportunity to interact with elephants in Thailand
- 4 MT. Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo
- 5 where to stay in Bali
- 6 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 7 Honeymoon Indonesia 10 days. Where?
- 8 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 9 Osaka-Kyoto-Takayama -Kanazawa in 12 days with Kids Doable?
- 10 Are Alexander+Roberts China Tours Any Good?
- 11 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 12 Confused how to organize Burma itinerary.
- 13 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 14 TRIP REPORT: Osaka to Hiroshima and in-between stops (tsuyu / summer)
- 15 First time to Japan for 19 year old and Mom (me)
- 16 What seems to be my final itinerary
- 17 Not Really A Trip Report Kind of Trip Report (Japan 2016)
- 18 Totally unprepared
- 19 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 20 Tokyo Itinerary Help please
- 21 Hanoi - SaPa - Hue
- 22 An island paradise?
- 23 1946-2007: An Old Soldier Returns to Camp Site in Beppu
- 24 Need some help with my final itinerary
- 25 Yet again! This time in Dharamsala
Volunteering at Elephant Nature Park, Chiang Mai
Hello fellow Fodorites!