My husband and I are planning a trip to Sri Lanka in August for about 3 weeks, so I have some questions for anyone who can answer them
1) Itinerary suggestions - So far we only know we want to visit Nuwara Eliya and Kandy, but we dont' know what we want to do there. Things we enjoy include, short hikes for amazing views, historical sites, caves, nature/animals (so long as the animals are not being mistreated or used for 'entertainment'), nice beaches. We would prefer to avoid shopping and tourist traps and would rather experience authentic food and culture.
2) Driver - Are we better off hiring one driver for the entire trip, or 'releasing' him for part of it?
- Is it a worthwhile experience to take the train between places, rather than a driver?
- If we have a driver, do we need to stay in hotels and specific places with driver accommodation, or can we book accommodation through other sites like AirBnB that don't include accommodation for the driver?
3) Part of our reason to travel there is to find my biological parents - I was adopted directly, rather than through an orphanage, and only have a photo and a name. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could go to make enquiries to try to find them and see if they wanted to meet me, in the safest and most diplomatic way possible? Also is it possible to hire a translator if I needed one for such a situation?
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 How to Celebrate New Year 2016 in Pakistan?
- 2 Tasting Sri Lanka
- 3 India help needed
- 4 6-8 Weeks in South East Asia
- 5 Sim cards and adaptors
- 6 Sri Lanka Visa
- 7 Hoi Ann hotel
- 8 Hotel in Hanoi
- 9 Place to stay Hue
- 10 Good Places to See in Ooty?
- 11 What are the best places to visit in karnataka during November?
- 12 Permit alert Andaman Islands
- 13 First Trip to Japan - help with planning please
- 14 Sapa - current conditions due to typhoon
- 15 Four Days in South Korea (Incheon and Seoul) with Baby
- 16 First time to Japan - tour or independent trip?
- 17 Trip Report: Malaysia in 2 weeks
- 18 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan and Japan
- 19 Help with SEAsia itinerary
- 20 Trekking outside Sapa
- 21 Custom Dress and man’s suit made in Hoi Ann
- 22 Advice on where to stay in Luang Prabang
- 23 Need help filling out my itinerary
- 24 Go to Pai or not?
- 25 Ko Kraden hotels