Our Annual Summer Adventure
June 25 - 26, 2014
Our journey started in Miami. We flew from MIA to JFK, JFK to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh. The flight from MIA to JFK on American Airlines was great. The flight manager was excellent--I wish this flight would have taken us to Hong Kong. The service and food was excellent. The flight had to be going overseas because it had flat bed seats. We used the British Airways Lounge at JFK. We had about four hours in the lounge. They have spa treatments available, but are not available until 4pm. Our Cathay Pacific flight left at 3pm. The flight from JFK to Hong Kong was relaxing. The food was pretty good and we watched several movies. Once we arrived in Hong Kong (zipped right through immigration), we went to the Cathay Pacific Arrivals Lounge to take a shower. It is a very, very small lounge. Even though the lounge was very tiny, the showers were quite nice with amenities such as combs, razors, etc... After the shower, we sat down and ordered from a menu--noodle soup, used the Internet and were on our way. We had pre booked the Regal Airport Hotel. The hotel is connected to the airport (very convenient), but don't stay more than a few hours.
June 27, 2014
We woke up early (since the Arrivals Lounge was nice) to enjoy Cathay Pacific lounges in Hong Kong. Needless to say we were quite disappointed. We thought the Cathay Pacific lounges would be more along the lines of the Virgin Atlantic Lounges or The Lufthansa First Class Lounge in Frankfurt. We were wrong--oh well!! Our destination today--Ho Chi Minh City. We flew from Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh City. The flight had no inflight entertainment and the food was inedible, but had flat bed seat for a two hour flight. We had already obtained our Visas for Vietnam in NYC. A couple of flights must have arrived at the same time because immigration was packed. Finally through immigration, we picked up our bags to discover one of our bags had a missing lock and a bent lock--oh well at least nothing was stolen!!
Fortunately, our Tonkin guide and driver were at the airport with a printed sign to pick us up. Finally after ten months of planning, we made it to our first city-Ho Chi Minh. We went to the hotel and checked in. We booked the hotel through the Fine Hotels program and did receive an upgrade. We took a quick shower and were on our way. We went to five different Pagodas around the city. I don't remember the names, but we did take pictures of all. This afternoon, we had one of two good meals in Ho Chi Minh at a restaurant where Hillary Clinton had eaten. We were served a soup, morning glories, steamed fish, fried rice, tea and crème carmel-delicious!!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 2 Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore - advise is needed
- 3 Santa Maria Travels and Inle Lake
- 4 Something out of the ordinary to do in Thailand
- 5 India in March and April??
- 6 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 7 Japan- National Holiday
- 8 7 days in Ho Chi Minh City
- 9 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 10 Passport
- 11 Our trip to the Republic of Georgia
- 12 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 13 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 14 Tips for Others Planning to Visit Japan
- 15 Siem reap to Sihanoukville flight
- 16 How would you spend your last few days in Thailand.
- 17 Are knitting needles allowed on ANA?
- 18 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 19 Amakusa island help
- 20 Month in Cambodia and Laos - January 2017
- 21 Weekend Breaks from Singapore
- 22 Questions re use of Japan Rail Pass and Kyoto itinerary
- 23 Cheapest way to Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand.
- 24 Japan Itinerary
- 25 Complete Asia Newbie - Phnom Penh Itinerary Ideas - Two Weeks
Vietnam, Luang Prabang, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok
Our Annual Summer Adventure